Filing depth guages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been around a while and not seen much on depth guages other than the obvious.

Here is the history. I have always had my chains sharpened by an old man who has done it for EVERYONE in the neighborhood forever. I have seen him do it by EYE and NEVER use a guage. His chains are VERY aggresive. (probably too low).

He is ill and no longer sharpening so I bought a "CHEAP CHAIN GRINDER" and am doing it myself with good results. I have done so few that I just bought an OREGON guage. tried it on a NEW (sharpened once) chain, and was able to take several good swipes off to get it down to where the guage recommended.

Should the depth guages on a new chain be able to be lowered so soon?

chain=26rm depth guage = .025

gauge depth

How much you take off the depth gauge is going to depend on how much you take off the cutter.If you rock a chain you are going to have to take the curl out.If you look at the cutter from the side,you will see it slopes down from the point to the back.The more you cut back,the more that will have to come off the depth gauge.Doing just a touch up,you probably won't have to touch the depth gauge.

Latest posts

Back