Filing kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been sharpening my chainsaw at my local Husqvarna dealer.
When I asked him if I could hand file the chain he said it's too difficult,you'll do it wrong, you'll get vibrations etc..
He can sharpen the teeth , but he can't lower the depth gauge. Same thing with the Stihl dealer.
I was thinking to buy a filing kit , but he said that I'll propably destroy 15-20 chains until I do it properly.
Is it so difficult?
Since I cut wood for my fireplace twice a week , buying a grinder would be I guess too much for me.
Shall I choose a hand filing kit? Which one should I choose?Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Angelos

Biggest line of BS I've ever heard from any dealer!

I started hand filling chain when I was 15, no jig. I'm now 50. It is easy! But you have to pay attention and practice!

Sounds like you have a dealer who is unfortunately only interested in getting your money and not in helping you at all. Hope can find a new dealer. Sounds like everything that needs to be said already has been. Good luck!

Stihl EZ file

Found this demo of the Stihl file.
[video=youtube;p57zA9OOjs0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57zA9OOjs0&feature=channel[/video]

I like the Pferd CS-X chain filing guide. It sharpens good and takes care of the rakers at the same time. Easy to use and smooth cutting chains.

Granberg

Granberg hands down. Buy it on Bailey's for $30. Get a round fine and a flat file for the jig. You'll never look back. You can measure the depth gauges exactly with the Granberg. Great customer service also.

Been sharpening my chainsaw at my local Husqvarna dealer.
When I asked him if I could hand file the chain he said it's too difficult,you'll do it wrong, you'll get vibrations etc..
He can sharpen the teeth , but he can't lower the depth gauge. Same thing with the Stihl dealer.
I was thinking to buy a filing kit , but he said that I'll propably destroy 15-20 chains until I do it properly.
Is it so difficult?
Since I cut wood for my fireplace twice a week , buying a grinder would be I guess too much for me.
Shall I choose a hand filing kit? Which one should I choose?Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Angelos
Why can't he lower depth gauges? That's part of a standard sharpening.

Why can't he lower depth gauges? That's part of a standard sharpening.

Around here prices range from 2-7 dollars each for a 20" chain. Neither place wants to mess with the rakers much unless they double the price. Crazy I say. The cheap place will do it for little to no charge but it seems his sharpenings only produce powdery chips and he chews up the chains. So its a lose/lose situation.

Finally I bought the Granberg's filing kit.
The Husqvarna distributor has the Oregon that is similar , but I went with the Granberg it's all metal.

Thanks,

Angelos

Have any part numbers? Those look pretty cool! I would like one for 3/8 and 325:msp_smile:

don't think they're avail. in the us (yet). $50 from the UK. :dizzy:

it really only saves 1 step - filing down the rakers. and it lowers them non-progressively. and you still need to round the front edge anyways. couple file-o-plates for each pitch and tooth style and do them the right way, imo.

and it's too big to carry in the woods. nifty looking though, but a big yawn from me.

oh, and the guy in the vid needs to file out his gullets. :taped:

Hmm, shame I didn't see this thread before you bought the Granberg file guide.

I would have steered you towards a Husqvarna roller guide with built in depth gauge.

Much faster, easier and cheaper than the Granberg or Oregon clamp on systems which tend to give a slightly different file height/hook side to side and give you a progressive depth gauge height as the cutter is filed back.

If you can, try to get this file kit. Then you sharpen the teeth and sett the rakers in one operation. Only works for Stihl chains thoug.
Wery easy to use, with the bar in a vise an both hands on the file. Just flipp it over to do the other side.

attachment.php

I have serious doubts about how good a job it will do, but will not be surpriced if it is a help for some people that know little to nothing about how to file properly.

Learning how to do it properly will always be better than any more or less "automatic" system! :msp_wink:

Thank you all for the replies , you've been very helpfull.
First thing I do tomorrow is to buy a depth gauge tool and a flat file cause I have already sharpened the teeth about ten times without lowering the gauge.
Now about filing kits, my only option here is stihl or Husqvarna kit.This Granberg sure looks interesting, it seems to get the job done much more easier.
I guess I'll go with that.

P.S. When I asked my Husqvarna dealer how to lower the gauge, told me to forget it and buy a new chain.The Stihl guy said there are a few people who can hand file a chain properly and that no one does anymore.
Great!!!I guess when you are new to chainsaws, all you can hear is BS.

Thank you again,

Angelos

You better find some other dealers, those are full of BS! :sad4::angry2::angry2:

It's a lot easier to touch up your chain frequently and keep it sharp all the time than let it get really dull and have to restore it.

Great advice. I do a light field touch up every tank of fuel and a more proper job back at the garage. Chains only get sent for a mechanical sharpening if some one really abused them.

It's a lot easier to touch up your chain frequently and keep it sharp all the time than let it get really dull and have to restore it.

Yep, it is - and it makes it easier to focus on getting it really sharp, instead of just getting the shape/angles about right! :msp_smile:

This is all you need. No fancy jig, just a file and a handle. The trick is to learn how to use them then you can never go wrong ;)

ivy4x2.jpg

This is all you need. No fancy jig, just a file and a handle. The trick is to learn how to use them then you can never go wrong ;)

ivy4x2.jpg

A little tip.

For best file life and sharpness always keep files apart/separated.

If they are allowed to hit each other, it takes the edge off the teeth.

I wasn't too happy once when some double bevel files arrived all together in a parcel instead of having interleaved paper between.

One word ''Granberg''Best filing tool made IMHO. A round file will fit a saw tooth better than any wheel. Most of the pro lumberjacks hand file there race chains. The Granberg is great for the beginner because it takes time and patience to learn how to to a good job free hand, a lot off trial and error.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back