Fill my owb with ice and I can cool my house????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it will. My dad in the early 90s got blocked ice (dont know where you would get it) and put it in the old CB we had. It worked but its been along time ago but I just called him to ask and he said it work great... about a week it lasted.

Thats great, I would not have thought of that, good idea, not sure if it may damage the boiler from all that melting ice, who knows? :greenchainsaw:

The biggest problem is going to be the condensation that builds up on the cooling surfaces in the house. If you have floor heat, you're going to have a swamp. If you have baseboard radiators, you're going to have to put catch pans under them to catch the drips.

Now if you're running it to a coil in the furnace plenum, you'd be in luck as it may already have a drain in place for the central air A-coil.

IMHO,
It
Will

RUST!

What metal may survive intense heats is now prone to moisture and rusting, especially with whatever has built up on the inside surfaces, I vote this a bad idea (have been shot down before tho), it could shorten the life of many components in your (expensive) system.

:monkey:

Cheers! *rigs up a bike to a fan and makes the kids work for their treats*

The quality of stainless in OWB's sucks and a waste of extra cash. Their failure rates are the same as mild steel and a PITA to repair.

In any case, I wouldn't fill my OWB with ice, unless I was storing beer in it.:biggrinbounce2:

5 ton AC

It simply has to work. But what do you gain? Is it cheaper to buy ice than run a AC system? With the cost of electricity this could be the case!

Anyway, somewhere I recall that AC systems are measured upon the equivilant amount of ice it takes to do the same cooling.

Let us all not forget that FIRE is just about as corrosive as water is!

-Pat

I was in my greenhouse the other day and with the sun it was hot and my boiler has been off for the last week and night time temps around 0 the water is cold.
I noticed when i ran the fan it was cold ....
just a thought and i am sure when it gets hot outside that the water temp in the boiler will be not all that much lower and it will not work all that well.
I also plan on running my hot water and hot tub off the boiler and getting them 4 day burn times .

It simply has to work. But what do you gain? Is it cheaper to buy ice than run a AC system? With the cost of electricity this could be the case!

Anyway, somewhere I recall that AC systems are measured upon the equivilant amount of ice it takes to do the same cooling.

-Pat

Good post Pat!

No, packing ice in a boiler would be a waste of time.

Wood burns at what? 1600 deg. ?

Very cold ice is what, 0 deg?

if something that is 1500 deg hotter then the output you want just gets it done for heat, how is something only 100 deg colder going to get it done in the other direction?

The exchange is just not that efficient. Even putting a fan on a block of ice has little effect in the same room.

Yes it will. My dad in the early 90s got blocked ice (dont know where you would get it) and put it in the old CB we had. It worked but its been along time ago but I just called him to ask and he said it work great... about a week it lasted.

where in the world did he put the ice?..in the firebox?...must of had a drip pan under his coil....i don't think you could get enough ice in it to do anything at 90degs + and humd. at 90% to make 45 deg water...just to get the water say 150 gallons down to 45 degs it would take about 24 pounds per hour so X 24 = 576 pounds per day X 7 = 4032 pounds per week and thats with no draw!!!!!!!

Adam i think this myth is busted!!!!!!!!

Cool

I think you would be better off taking a few bags of ice and putting them in you easy chair, and snuggle up to them! Or get a A/C unit! Use the intended equipment for the proper job.

Shawn

-Pat

12000 BTU. It takes 12000 BTU to melt 1 ton of ice. Hence a 1 ton air conditioner. A small window unit is around 6000 BTU. That will remove as much heat from the house as 1000 pounds of ice. And it will do it more efficiantly too. Do you really want to lug 1000 pounds of ice around?
I like the idea of cuddling in the easy chair with a block of ice. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back