Filling trees with concrete?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnmaniac883

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok so I had a guy ask me today if he should fill his trees with concrete. Apparantly he has 3 trees trunks grown together and have formed a water retention area in the middle. He is worried about rotting and wants to keep the trees, I said call an arborist for a real opinion but though I might ask you guys. Thanks.

whoever thought of this idea Id like to ring their neck. Ive ruined many of chains because of this idiotic way of thinking. concrete belongs on driveways and sidewalks NOT in trees

post a pic and maybe we can help this guy out

Filling trees with cement is just frikkin stupid.

Those standing puddles of water are rarely a cause for concern. Most things that are harmful are aerobic. :bang:

No, do not fill them with anything!!
Trees have an amazing capacity to compartmentalize decay and injury, adding a 'foreign' substance does NOT help.
If the water collection is of major concern, cabling or bracing the three trunks may be an option to prevent them splitting apart in the future.
Post pics!!

Just a suggestion.

I have never done it but I believe that you could use the spray foam that comes in the cans. If the holes is too large too make this feasible, first fill with foam packing. this type of filler can give as the tree heals over. One problem that you might experience with foam is that the birds will peck it out. Had this happen on some buildings i repaired with foam. Later I mixed some cayenne pepper in before it dried, seems to deter the birds well.
I also read in an old book years ago that some people used plaster of Paris. I don't think either of these methods would harm the tree or a chainsaw.
There are situations where sealing off a damaged tree is necessary. I'm sure the arborists on this site are more familiar with how to handle this. :cheers:

Don't fill the trees with anything!!!! As Bermie says, trees have an amazing ability to compartmentalize. When you fill the tree, it only invites insects and fungi to move in. Whatever you put in only acts as shelter.

As far as the foam goes, it's really hard to get a smooth flat finish, and over time with the heat and elements the foam will actually shrink. Again inviting the bad guys in.

Plaster of paris will not flex with the tree, and will dull your saw in a heartbeat. Not as bad as concrete of course, hehe.

Bearclaw said:
Don't fill the trees with anything!!!! As Bermie says, trees have an amazing ability to compartmentalize. When you fill the tree, it only invites insects and fungi to move in. Whatever you put in only acts as shelter.

As far as the foam goes, it's really hard to get a smooth flat finish, and over time with the heat and elements the foam will actually shrink. Again inviting the bad guys in.

Plaster of paris will not flex with the tree, and will dull your saw in a heartbeat. Not as bad as concrete of course, hehe.

makes good sense!

water will exclude air and thus fungi.....actually stopping rot...and why worry about water .......trees are full of it anyway....Trees can manage damage as the codit model explains.......concrete......sounds like lot of trouble for a negative effect.

This like paint is supposed to seal water/ dampness out; but also seals it in; so that wood can't dry out Naturally.

The inside walls of such a wound, will try to grow a sealing callous; the day to day movement of the dynamic wood; will scrub against the callous; tearing up this protective layer. Also, the wood will expand and contract at a different rate than the cement to give more damage.

Dry is okay, even pooled water that limits oxygen is okay; as Erik says, it is the aerobic bacteria living in water and oxygen marsh that is destructive. Also, a tree can lose 50% of it's core diameter and only have a 6% strength loss; if no port/ violation to the outer diameter. For about all the leveraged supports against bending etc. is in the outer diameters. So, once again; blindly meddling by rushing into save the day; can get ya in trouble by upsetting the balances of the system that has 'evolved' by Natural selection.

Back