Finally bought me a Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out. :)

I wasn't sure if I would keep it. Thought I might flip it as I have had quite a few local people looking for saws but I had another fella talk me into selling my 353 so it looks like this is staying awhile.

I'm having second thoughts on selling the 353. LOL

Just as I thought this saw is in excellent conditon, looks like a real low hour saw and seems to run really well. Just a small L and idle adjustment to suit me and a quick check on the tach shows its running 14,300 rpm.

I made a about 16 cuts in a 12" piece of hard white oak just to get a feel for it. I think its going to take some getting used to for me to quit missing my Husky as far as comfort and feel go.

The main thing I don't like so far is this bar and chain. It's setup with a 18" 3/8's setup which is actually a 17" bar with a odd to me 64DL chain. The other thing is I don't care much for that choke/switch setup that reminds me too much of a Sthil setup.

My first impression in this hardwood is that I'm not that impressed.

I think the 3/8's setup will get changed out for a 18" .325 since I have one here to try. I can try it with some 20LP as well as the 95VP that I like so well in the brush piles.

I also have 16" and 20" 3/8's bars and chains to try on it as well.

Also I still have the 353 and will try it side by side tomorrow also.

I'm going to give it a fair trial, and it's not only a speed test, as that's not that important to me.

Will take any suggestions you guy who have these have to give.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out. :)

I wasn't sure if I would keep it. Thought I might flip it as I have had quite a few local people looking for saws but I had another fella talk me into selling my 353 so it looks like this is staying awhile.

I'm having second thoughts on selling the 353. LOL

Just as I thought this saw is in excellent conditon, looks like a real low hour saw and seems to run really well. Just a small L and idle adjustment to suit me and a quick check on the tach shows its running 14,300 rpm.

I made a about 16 cuts in a 12" piece of hard white oak just to get a feel for it. I think its going to take some getting used to for me to quit missing my Husky as far as comfort and feel go.

The main thing I don't like so far is this bar and chain. It's setup with a 18" 3/8's setup which is actually a 17" bar with a odd to me 64DL chain. The other thing is I don't care much for that choke/switch setup that reminds me too much of a Sthil setup.

My first impression in this hardwood is that I'm not that impressed.

I think the 3/8's setup will get changed out for a 18" .325 since I have one here to try. I can try it with some 20LP as well as the 95VP that I like so well in the brush piles.

I also have 16" and 20" 3/8's bars and chains to try on it as well.

Also I still have the 353 and will try it side by side tomorrow also.

I'm going to give it a fair trial, and it's not only a speed test, as that's not that important to me.

Will take any suggestions you guy who have these have to give.

attachment.php

attachment.php
That is a good lookin saw mark,mine gained power and compression past 20 tanks and bettin that one has less.
I am running 3/8 square on mine but next option would be .325 lpx with 66d/l and 8 pin.
Hope you hang on to it for a while,it took some time but mines grew on me and is a keeper.

Mark, I actually love mine & its set up just the way yours is (18" - 17 "actual" and 3/8).

The big difference is probably the wood we cut. I tend to mostly be in softer woods: pine, spruce, birch & very occasionally cedar. No oaks around here to speak of.

People often ask me why I have so many 62cc saws & for me its all about the type of wood. I just find I have virtually no use for anything bigger (although I still have a 7900 on my 'to do' list) because almost everything i cut is softer & smaller (Rarely need to even go above my 18" bars).

Sorry you're not loving the saw though. For me, there's really nothing so far Ive found feels as good in my hands. Thank god we all have different tastes though, or there wouldnt be much to talk about here!! :)

Does this mean you're going to dump those Poulans.........

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

Nice saw.

Bill

That is a good lookin saw mark,mine gained power and compression past 20 tanks and bettin that one has less.
I am running 3/8 square on mine but next option would be .325 lpx with 66d/l and 8 pin.
Hope you hang on to it for a while,it took some time but mines grew on me and is a keeper.

Yeah, it will probably grow on be when I get used to it. Honestly I think I'll try the .325LPX with a 7 pin. My Poulan Pro .325 is setup with a .325LPX with a (stock) 7 pin and I'll bet it will beat this thing as it is.

I have done just a bit of informal testing here with the .325 vrs 3/8's on a 60cc saw and seen not much difference, but on these smaller ones I think the .325 will be the way to go. I'll find out on this one tomorrow.

Mark, I actually love mine & its set up just the way yours is (18" - 17 "actual" and 3/8).

The big difference is probably the wood we cut. I tend to mostly be in softer woods: pine, spruce, birch & very occasionally cedar. No oaks around here to speak of.

People often ask me why I have so many 62cc saws & for me its all about the type of wood. I just find I have virtually no use for anything bigger (although I still have a 7900 on my 'to do' list) because almost everything i cut is softer & smaller (Rarely need to even go above my 18" bars).

Sorry you're not loving the saw though. For me, there's really nothing so far Ive found feels as good in my hands. Thank god we all have different tastes though, or there wouldnt be much to talk about here!! :)

One thing for sure is this oddball sized bar and chain will be going, I have no need to keep a 64DL chain around just for this thing.

I believe that you probably are happy with the 3/8's setup on all that softwood, but I'm thinking that this hard wood is just too much for it.

It's not that this feels bad in the hands, it may feel better later but the Husky feels good right now.

From the looks of that bar she ain't been ran much. Mine really came to life after 10-15 tanks, maybe more. I'm running the stock 18" bar and Carlton .325 chisel chain and she's plenty hot! :chainsaw: :givebeer:

I love mine

I run a "large saw" and a "medium saw". All I cut is green cedar. Heavy and dirty (but I love it). In other words, I take 2 saws - either an 044 or 372 for the large and a 5110s (which I don't rotate) for the medium saw. The 5100 replaced my ms250 and I ain't lookin' back. The 250 is now a fine "yard saw" I just took my time breaking-in the Dolmar --- a little rich for a number of tanks and now wide open Love it. If it fails, I'll probably get another. Luckily, I build my own chain loops so the 64dl is not a problem here.

I dont think that saw's broke in yet !!
That thing may be the wrong size for you Mark,you may have to change it to make it fit.. you aint the same "build" as a lot of people :)
check that muffler,maybe could use a little help ??
trade for some poulons ?? :)

Nice saw Mark. I have one too :)
For your interest I don't think it's the hardwood causing issues with 3/8" being slow - is there a chance it's been set up too agressive? I've done the 3/8" vs. .325" comparisons on my 5100-S with same bar length and I found 3/8" faster in hardwood, and then there is the increased wear of the 3/8" to also consider. My comparison was with semi chisel though but even then I've run a few loops of RSC through a variety of good old Aussie hardwoods with no problems.
Horses for courses though :cheers:
By the way I also richened up the low as she was a bit sluggish off the mark. Sharpened the throttle response up substantially off idle.

From the looks of that bar she ain't been ran much. Mine really came to life after 10-15 tanks, maybe more. I'm running the stock 18" bar and Carlton .325 chisel chain and she's plenty hot! :chainsaw: :givebeer:

Thanks for that input, thats the setup I'll be trying next.

I dont think that saw's broke in yet !!
That thing may be the wrong size for you Mark,you may have to change it to make it fit.. you aint the same "build" as a lot of people :)
check that muffler,maybe could use a little help ??
trade for some poulons ?? :)

Hey Ron, Hang in there with me. :cheers:

I was just kinda excited to get this to try one of these "little Hot Rods" as there called here to give a go around.

I just was giving my first impressions which I admitted was a very short run. I have drawn no final conclusions yet at all. I just got the feeling that this thing would have its hands full burying the bar fully.

I believe that this saw is broken in more then you guys think, I have not done a compression check on it myself yet but was told it was way up there.

My "build" has nothing to do with it, I was not forcing the saw at all. My age is starting to have something to do with it though and I just love the feel, nimbleness and light weight of my 353. I just don't get that feeling yet out of this from my admitted first impression.

As far as trading it for some Poulans? You bet if you happen to have a 8500, 744 etc laying there.

Nice saw Mark. I have one too :)
For your interest I don't think it's the hardwood causing issues with 3/8" being slow - is there a chance it's been set up too agressive? I've done the 3/8" vs. .325" comparisons on my 5100-S with same bar length and I found 3/8" faster in hardwood, and then there is the increased wear of the 3/8" to also consider. My comparison was with semi chisel though but even then I've run a few loops of RSC through a variety of good old Aussie hardwoods with no problems.
Horses for courses though :cheers:
By the way I also richened up the low as she was a bit sluggish off the mark. Sharpened the throttle response up substantially off idle.

Well I spent quite a bit of time on this chain before I gave it a run. I run it a light trip through the grinder to "set" all the cutters. I then gave it a hand fileing and then set the rakers by hand as well.

I would have just put a new chain on it, but I have none here with a 64dl count. I could have cut one out, but I didnt want to do that just to try one.

Hopefully I'll get a chance later today to give it another run.

Last edited:
Mine is kinda so so with the carlton 3/8 but a new or goofy filed lgx or square and you don't need the dawgs much.Saw don't pull in or push back much the wood just drops.
In.325 all I've tried is an 8 pin because thats all I had without pulling a clutch on anouther saw,but it pulled a 16" buried in white oak so no real reason to order a 7 pin IMO.

Wow Mark,

For having a luke warm response to that little dude you sure are proud of it as far as trading fodder.

I love mine and it has been absolutly trouble free for 4 years now.

Mine still runs the .375 17" bar and will dull a razor sharp chain pretty fast, must be all the RPMs or the down petrified wood I often cut.
In green hardwood with a freshly filed chain my 5100 is amazing!

5100 = Keeper

Your first impression reminds me of my own first impression after the first cuts with my 5100. I was thinkin "my old 540 could smoke this thing". I was thinkin about switchin mine to 325 as well.
I went back thru a bunch of threads about the 5100 and guys saying "they come to life after a few tanks of gas".
So I just kept runnin it, with the 3/8's, and keeping close eye on carb settings/RPM's. Now the 5100 is running strong and is the saw getting used every time I go in the woods and the 540 gets run once in a while just to keep the cobwebs cleaned out of it.

Wow Mark,

For having a luke warm response to that little dude you sure are proud of it as far as trading fodder.

I love mine and it has been absolutly trouble free for 4 years now.

Mine still runs the .375 17" bar and will dull a razor sharp chain pretty fast, must be all the RPMs or the down petrified wood I often cut.
In green hardwood with a freshly filed chain my 5100 is amazing!

Luke warm is a good description I would suppose. Thats not negitive at all. Things just get so hyped up around here maybe I was just expecting it to fall through a piece of wood.

Like I said though, speed isn't everything I am looking at. Why do you suppose they list that saw as a 18" bar but its actually a 17" bar?

My first impression was that it would have a hard time buried with a 18" bar with .375 on it in dry hardwood. Thats not a knock on it as there are not many 50cc saws that are up to that task.

Seems no one can give there honest opinion around here anymore without getting someones feelings hurt. :ices_rofl:

As far as trade fodder goes I think I would be in the ballpark for a old Poulan trade. The only 744 that I ever seen on ebay only went for $300. I take it as your saying that this 5100 isn't worth $300 then.

Your first impression reminds me of my own first impression after the first cuts with my 5100. I was thinkin "my old 540 could smoke this thing". I was thinkin about switchin mine to 325 as well.
I went back thru a bunch of threads about the 5100 and guys saying "they come to life after a few tanks of gas".
So I just kept runnin it, with the 3/8's, and keeping close eye on carb settings/RPM's. Now the 5100 is running strong and is the saw getting used every time I go in the woods and the 540 gets run once in a while just to keep the cobwebs cleaned out of it.

Thanks Vinnie, thats some of the stuff I was looking for when I posted this up.

Probably not Mark,

I paid not much more than that for mine new. The price of good condition "used "saws shoul be about half of new.

And you know as well as I that some really good saws go for decent prices, even on the bag.

As long as it doesn't say Stihl or Husqvarna on it!

It's your saw, sell it, trade it, drop a tree on it, after all it is yours.

It seems to me the 17"bar is a perfect balance and besides I bet most of us have 66-68-72 d/l chains with minor damage that could be spun up.

Back