Finally bought some Safety Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your post is a stop procrastinating call to me....thanks! Whilst checking out your link I ran across the forester chaps and bought those instead since the husqvarna's werent on prime. thanks again

Hi,
Don't forget to cover your feet!!

R.

the boot thing is real interested. i wear faller pants by regulation but i don't think there is much regulation on boots other then to have 6" of ankle support. i run composite cap but that's only because i can't find any comfortable boots with the steel cap. walking around a 70% grade for 6 hrs really needs a comfortable boot. i'd rather take the risk then have my feet take a beating. gonna look harder for a comfy steel cap boot now though.

My chainsaw mentor cut a branch under tension, misread it and had it snap at him. Opened up a pretty good gash. If the experts get hurt doing something rather routine, my accident experience is coming for sure.

Good choice. Not cutting with chaps is simply dumb. If your lucky you get stitches. If not you cut your femoral artery and bleed out in 7 minutes.

when i cut i always wear steel toed work boots because it is some protection when a piece falls on the toes but maybe a better idea to buy some metatarsals

Good job.

I finally picked up safety toe boots last month and received those very same chaps from "Santa" for Christmas.

It's second nature to don the boots and Husky helmet now, still need to remember to put on the chaps.

Guess this is a reminder for me--have 2 pair of chaps--one is Stihl orange so if I get lost in the woods, someone can find me! I need to start wearing them--they work better that way than on the shelf!!

the boot thing is real interested. i wear faller pants by regulation but i don't think there is much regulation on boots other then to have 6" of ankle support. i run composite cap but that's only because i can't find any comfortable boots with the steel cap. walking around a 70% grade for 6 hrs really needs a comfortable boot. i'd rather take the risk then have my feet take a beating. gonna look harder for a comfy steel cap boot now though.

What i understand the european class 1,2 & 3 all demand a steel cap. And yes, it is really hard to find a good fitting steel cap shoe!
Haix has few models, but the lineup differs a little what is available here in europe. http://www.haixusa.com/forestry/

Meindl Timberking has highest rating ( class 3 ) what i have seen on these cut resistant boots. Downside is that price gets high on these imported boots, or the importer has no interest for speciality items like these.

One thing i'm sure of, when your saw is wot, modded or stock, and chain is running full speed, it ain't taking no hostages!!!

Be safe,
R.

Stihl, Husky and Jonsered have chainsaw boots in leather with kevlar and steel cap.
I always wear chainsaw protective gear when i'm out cutting, even if it's just for one log.
My setup consists of:
Stihl leather comfort boots, Jonsered pro light trousers, Jred forestry jacket (high viz), kask helmet with Jred mesh visor and muffs and toolbelt with back/hip support.

What i understand the european class 1,2 & 3 all demand a steel cap. And yes, it is really hard to find a good fitting steel cap shoe!
Haix has few models, but the lineup differs a little what is available here in europe. http://www.haixusa.com/forestry/

Meindl Timberking has highest rating ( class 3 ) what i have seen on these cut resistant boots. Downside is that price gets high on these imported boots, or the importer has no interest for speciality items like these.

One thing i'm sure of, when your saw is wot, modded or stock, and chain is running full speed, it ain't taking no hostages!!!

Be safe,
R.

i don't mind spending money on a comfortable pair of boots. i run Meindl but i had a pair of Meindl hiking boots corked for my last set. all the one already corked make me feel like a stick leg and impair maneuverability for me. i really like the haix hoffman boots sell although it's near $800 CAD said and done :eek: my buddy who is also a faller runs them and last set he had the sole came off. hoffman do make it right but it means sending them back and taking the hit on shipping and COD charges. damn! i gotta find something. i have the same problem with corked Vibergs as i do the Meindls. maybe there are guys that like to work with boots that tall but not me. i hate it. i went down to the Viberg factory in Victoria and tried every dang boot they had in my size and couldn't be happy with them. maybe break them in and see but at $5-600 i don't want to chance it. Viberg said they could make me something custom but i'd have to bend over with no lube!

I got the scars to prove you should wear safety gear. Also that ya shouldn't ignor safe practices such as do NOT saw above shoulder hight. Did that & hit my foot wearing sneakers.:(:eek::eek::dumb::dumb: Got lucky & only cut through my skin so I still have all my little pigies.:):):rock: Thank the good lord.:clap::clap:

Still have 2 scars (13 stiches) on side of knee from 35 years ago! SIL, same place on knee 2 years ago! Friend, almost same place about a year ago--yes accidents happen--and very quick!!

I wear mine! no injuries to date (over 30 years cutting) - knock on wood, pun intended - but couple close calls, mostly helpers not following the rules!! getting in a hurry or in the way! some minor kickbacks. were manageable. haven't always worn mine. this thread will further reinforce importance of wearing them. besides, helps keep the sawdust out out my shoes. I like that a lot!! :) I have the Stihl helmet, with ear muffs and face screen. I also use foam shooting ear plugs, safety glasses, too. regular leather gloves. I have steel-toed boots. but don't always wear them. I have an orange workers vest, going to add that in to my apparel, too...

you can then call me...

Mr. Tangerine Man!!!

lol :laughing:

cutt'nchaps.png

i don't mind spending money on a comfortable pair of boots. i run Meindl but i had a pair of Meindl hiking boots corked for my last set. all the one already corked make me feel like a stick leg and impair maneuverability for me. i really like the haix hoffman boots sell although it's near $800 CAD said and done :eek: my buddy who is also a faller runs them and last set he had the sole came off. hoffman do make it right but it means sending them back and taking the hit on shipping and COD charges. damn! i gotta find something. i have the same problem with corked Vibergs as i do the Meindls. maybe there are guys that like to work with boots that tall but not me. i hate it. i went down to the Viberg factory in Victoria and tried every dang boot they had in my size and couldn't be happy with them. maybe break them in and see but at $5-600 i don't want to chance it. Viberg said they could make me something custom but i'd have to bend over with no lube!

Heard the same thing about Haix quality lately, sad to customers who are the biggest losers at the end.
Talking with a friend who suggested these http://shop.freeworker.com/pfanner-tirol-juchten.html
He said that they need some maintenance, but are really what he was looking for, old skool style! :)

R.

Latest posts

Back