Finally got myself a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evanrude

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've always kinda leaned toward wanting a TW-2HD or American CLS 25HH, but in all reality I just cant justify the cost of either machine. I've ran the 22t and 35t Huskee splitters before, and they do what needs to be done without a hitch. So after much consideration and crunching the numbers, I went and picked up a Huskee/Speeco 28 ton splitter today. TSC near me had one in stock with $100 off. I also snagged the log cradle along with it. I went for the 28 because its built heavier than the 22 and has the Honda engine.

Soon as I got home I slapped the cradle on and filled it with gas, then went out to the wood pile. Sure does beat trying to whoop on the stringy, knotty, gnarly wood with the Fiskars. I was surprised with the improvements Speeco has made on these machines in comparison to the older models. I knew of the relocated engine, but didn't realize there were others. This one has a handle welded at the tongue for easier lifting, drop hitch, additional support welded to the splitting foot, two pivot points for the hor/vert pin, and the pins for the jack and horizontal locking position have changed. I usually noodle the large or knotty rounds down, so I'll probably never put it in the vert position (I always hated running them like that anyways).

It splits wood, is the right color and runs great! I'm pretty excited actually. I've sold over 70 full cords the last 3-4 years with most of them being split with a Fiskars, so I think I've earned it. Can't stop thinking how nice the new addition is going to be when it comes time to process a downed elm thats on the agenda.

Here's a pic after the maiden voyage. Don't mind the mess in the barn, I'm in the midst of a couple projects.

IMG-20130113-00195.jpg

Very nice!
Don't hesitate to use it in the vertical position, I never thought it would be that useful until I tried it. Just get your rounds rounded up and find a right size piece to sit on and have at them.

Conrats. A well deserved upgrade. I agree with the others. Find a good round to sit on and put a lambskin on it with some cushion. Will keep your rear warm and not so stiff when you have to sit on it for 12 hours cracking the big rounds. Enjoy it.

Rep Sent

Nice to have the new toyl. I saw one of these in person at the Farm and Fleet store. They look like they have beefed things up a bit and made some real nice improvements for sure.
Enjoy :rock:

I use mine in the vertical position most of the time. A 36" pickaroon really helps, you can roll a lot of rounds close to your seat and rarely have to move to retreive them.

Maybe I'll warm up to the vertical splitting some day. When I've done it in the past, it didn't take too long for me to get sick of it. Besides, I'm so used to noodling large rounds down with the saw for the Fiskars that its no big deal to keep doing that anyhow.

Noodling will be a thing of the past

...when you start using it vertical on the big rounds. I never use mine in the horizontal position. We've split 40 inchers on mine. Sure. it's a biatch wrestling them in there, but after the first couple splits, it gets a lot easier in a hurry. I use a boat seat cushion on a round for my seat. Keep a hatchet handy for the stringy wood and you can set up production. Bring on all the knotty , stringy wood :D

Maybe I'll warm up to the vertical splitting some day. When I've done it in the past, it didn't take too long for me to get sick of it. Besides, I'm so used to noodling large rounds down with the saw for the Fiskars that its no big deal to keep doing that anyhow.

I will say that I did this recently and found it preferrable to having to wrassle the large rounds into place.. I'd rather be able to pick up the 1/4 rounds and do them horizontally as well I think. At least you have the options.

When in the vertical, I use a piece of scrap plywood and lay it on top of the foot the wood rest on. This makes it easy to slide the round up to the rail without having to lift it.
Nice splitter, you’ll love it.

I really like the cradle so far. Its definitely worth the $50 for it. Without the cradle, it slows you down considerably by having to set the larger halves down and pick them back up.

I really like the cradle so far. Its definitely worth the $50 for it. Without the cradle, it slows you down considerably by having to set the larger halves down and pick them back up.

If you need more space to put a larger 1/2 round then I stack up pallets on the other side of the splitter about level with the beam and that works well also. My neighbor ended up building a table onto his. Was pretty cool design.

Here's my redneck cradle:)

mezaba4e.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't wait to get the splitter out after work today. I've got at least a cord of ash/oak mix to get split up, plus a bunch of cherry I cut yesterday while I played hooky. Got a little over an hour in and split quite a bit of wood and never refueled. I'm surprised how little gas this Honda uses. I kept grabbing the knotty ones to see how she does and I haven't had a problem yet. I think I'm officially happy with my choice. Much better than standing next to a tough round, holding the Fiskars and talking to myself :msp_biggrin:.

Oh, and thanks to all of you for the rep!

I'm a fiskars guy myself. That's all I've used, before me all my brothers used were mauls. I like the work out of the axe and for it being so portable, some of the place I cut wood are remote, and I have no interest loading up a truck load of rounds.
I'm getting tired of my hands hurting after splitting. I have a friend with the 35T huskee and I like it, I would rather have a SplitFire, but just can't justify the cost.

The fiskars is all worth it when you get into one strike splitting.

Latest posts

Back