Yardmax 25t splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fulladirt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've seen and commented in other threads about these splitters but after using it for a little while now, figured I'd start my own. This is for the Yardmax 25ton Full Beam splitter. Document my experiences, if/when something fails, maybe it can help someone else who is interested in this splitter.

Things I like about it. Briggs and Stratton engine that starts easy time after time and sips fuel, I can get 1/2 day on a tank of gas. Included everything needed to split wood except gas and wood. Included 2 log catchers, 1 for each side, I actually just use the one on the motor side. Included a 4-way wedge, I've used it on 10-16" rounds and it's ok but I'm picky about my split sizes so it doesn't see much use. Speed, I work by myself and am in fairly decent shape, I can barely keep up with it and normally run it @3/4 throttle, no time for twiddling thumbs or texting lol. Power, haven't run across anything I couldn't split yet no matter how crooked crotched, now it will slow down as the 2nd stage kicks in, but always manages to chug on through. Doesn't get hot, I keep an eye on cylinder/line temps by hand, never felt it hot enough that would cause me to get my temp gun--estimate 120-130F max after couple hrs running. Ease of assembly-good instructions, I assembled it by myself in about 1-2hrs, I did have a forklift to unload the crate from my truck and stand the beam vertical while attaching it to the frame--no forklift probably woulda needed a helper. Goes vertical, I like not having to lift or noodle every big round, I still noodle but only the biggest rounds, put on a pair of kneepads--really saves my back man bigtime. Maneuverable, doesn't feel top heavy or tippy and "light enough" I can disconnect it from truck and wheel it around into the woods if I have to....but I try not to.

Thinks I don't like about it. The motor-side log catcher doesn't protect the engine, haven't had a split fall on it yet but it may be a matter of time, I may extend it back by welding a plate to the log catcher. Vibration, if the engine is at full throttle there are some pins that get to rattling, now I don't think anything is in danger of breaking, or a pin/bolt falling out (Nylok nuts), it's more of an annoyance. Wedge isn't sharp, tip of the edge is about 1mm across, I've noticed it sort of tears wood fibers sometimes as it splits instead of cutting, probably gonna remove it and grind a better edge.

I'm on my second season with it and have split 13-14 cords so far of red/white oak, cherry, beech, maple, and hickory. I used to split by hand or use a 3-point hitch splitter on a tractor--I just hated running a tractor all day long to split wood. I usually burn 6+ cords/year, but I have so much firewood now and more to come I'll probably sell some. That's about all I got except for a few pictures.

oe6W8Vb.jpg

A75ILb6.jpg

o15en2d.jpg

FQrrzFP.jpg

Thanks Sandhill Crane and yeah we just used the 3-point because it was there think it came from a farm sale, had it ever since I can remember. It was nice to be able to set it up at the perfect working height though and it had a clear work area all the way around. Split a lot of wood with it over the years too.
But I had to run the tractor throttled up to get decent ram speed and it got hot after an hour or 2. Figured it was cheaper to just get a dedicated splitter than do a major repair on the tractor. The tractor is an oldie but goodie John Deere 2840.

The solid beam vertical/horizontal splitters are the best of both worlds when it comes to splitting wood. Years ago I bought a used SuperSplit for a great price. Last year I noticed that the rounds are getting heavier and it was time to start splitting logs on the ground instead of quartering them with a chainsaw. I found a like new 37 ton North Star for $1K. It has over the road wheels. The two things I did add were a piece of aluminum diamond plate over the motor to protect the gas tank and a set of wings to make a four way wedge.

Attachments

• 20211211_152843.jpg
    20211211_152843.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211207_151726.jpg
    20211207_151726.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211207_151616.jpg
    20211207_151616.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 0
I tried to buy a 35 ton full beam YardMax in November of 2020. Expected delivery date was early December. Logsplitter direct kept pushing the delivery date back further. Finally in January 2021 i cancelled and called Northern Tool. Had a 37 ton NorthStar delivered a week later. I did like the reviews and specs on the YardMax just couldnt get one.

Back