Finally got to try out the new wood hauler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerehunter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The old one had seen a few too many Michigan salty winters. I work at a chevy dealer and this one got traded in and I knew the history of it and the previous owners so I grabbed it. 99 one ton with firestone bags in the rear. It already had a trap door in the bed with a ball for my gooseneck. The deck was new last year but I still threw a coat of paint on it to shine it up a little. So far I like it a lot. The previous wood hauler was too light to pull my gooseneck and I didn't like taking my good truck in the woods too much. This one looks decent from a distance but isn't so nice that you would worry about scratching it.truck1.jpg

That's a pretty much ideal setup you have there. What model is that JD?

its a 2320 with a set of quick tach forks that I made out of a three point round bale mover. I can still mount them on the three point also. The only problem is the tines are a little long and non adjustable side to side. The long tines become a problem when im loading the logs up high because i cant tip the forks as far because of their long length. Otherwise I could get a few more at the top of the pile.

deerehunter..... if I could ask: In your opening post you mentioned putting another coat of paint on the bed... just curious if you used a particular paint, or if there is a better paint for the bed as opposed to another? basically- is one type/brand of paint better for a flatbed than another? reason I ask is I have a 04 Dodge 3500 flatbed that the bed is really faded/peeling and Id like to paint it.

bryan, I had a gift card to burn up at TSC and they had 1 gallon cans of black enamel that was $19.99 so I gave it a try. Ive used some on my frames also and it seems to be pretty durable so far. The stuff on the flatbed I poured into a pan and rolled on with a paint roller and it turned out pretty nice. I slid ash logs across it last weekend and it didnt seem to scratch it up too bad.

Nice setup. I was dreaming about something similiar last week. How nice it would be to have a trailer that I could load wood and a tractor on. That would almost certainly mean a gooseneck like you have. I also have a love affair with 90's chevy pickups, especially finding one in good shape, which is also hard here in the Northeast. Does that have the 454 or the deisel?

I seem to be drawn to them to as Ive had several of this body style. This one is actually a 350 vortec. It was ordered as a cab and chassis and was outfitted with the flatbed after. We discovered just the other day that it has the PTO option on the transfer case so theoretically I could make the bed dump but Ill never get that much ambition.

I was very pleased with it. I usually pull that trailer with a 2008 gmc 2500hd with a 6.0 and a 6l90 trans so I thought it was going to feel like a major setback based on owning several small block 305 and 350's. This is my first one ton and I think the extra stability helps compensate for the 350 as it didn't feel underpowered at all if that makes sense.
Thanks, it is pretty clean but it was a farm truck from day one and the cab showed it. I ended up power washing the interior and havnt completely got the barn smell out of it but the price was right so Ill deal with it and buy some air fresheners! The pics don't really show it but it also has a DMI spring loaded cushion hitch in the rear. It has levers to allow you to slide the receiver in and out and side to side so one guy can hook up a wagon without having a spotter. Ill probably never use it but its kind of a nice feature. I do a little farming on the side so maybe it will come in handy once in a while.

The old one had seen a few too many Michigan salty winters. I work at a chevy dealer and this one got traded in and I knew the history of it and the previous owners so I grabbed it. 99 one ton with firestone bags in the rear. It already had a trap door in the bed with a ball for my gooseneck. The deck was new last year but I still threw a coat of paint on it to shine it up a little. So far I like it a lot. The previous wood hauler was too light to pull my gooseneck and I didn't like taking my good truck in the woods too much. This one looks decent from a distance but isn't so nice that you would worry about scratching it.View attachment 364047
How long is your trailer. I would love to have a goose neck trailer Illinois State Police is tough on them so I stay with bumper pulls

I have a 1999 one ton GMC some times I want to sell it but the ara I live in I got offered $2500.00 for it the new engine a tranny cost me $4200.00 thats not counting whole new front end new floor made a dump bed out of it so my wife said just keep it. I put a load on it of knots to sell to the girls across the river. I for got new tires and brakes. It's got a vortec 454 and it is not as bad on fuel as some of the fellows talk about on here It has a allison tranmission 166.000 miles on it I hope you have good luck with yours as I have my truck has been rode hard a put up wet and paid for it's self time and time agin.

Its a 2320 So right in that range. Finally added a ballast box to the back so it can lift a little more safely. Should have bought one from day one. The tractor will definitely lift more than it should!!

Gotta love the flatbeds! I love mine and wouldn't think of having it any other way with a 1 ton truck. Very versatile especially with hideaway GN ball….though I'd love to have mine be a dump bed and have hideaway hitch. Don't know how well it would tow though with a dump bed.

Must be pretty flat in your neck of the woods. A SRW w/ small block gas V-8 wouldn't cut the mustard for me around here with a load like you got in 1st pic. Glad it works for you. What kinda MPG you getting with that kinda load?

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 36
Back