finally used my new 346XP and don't like the 95vp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 95VP probably is the best option on the 353 anyway, so don't dispair! ;)

95VP has been best from those chains i've tried, but would still be cool to try something else than semi-chisel since my 353 doesnt seem to bog with sharp chain and 8 teeth rim in in ~20cm wood yet :E

95VP has been best from those chains i've tried, but would still be cool to try something else than semi-chisel since my 353 doesnt seem to bog with sharp chain and 8 teeth rim in in ~20cm wood yet :E

For that size wood, 21LP and 25RS/RSC probably are better than 95VP - get a 1.5mm (.058) bar and try!

just got back from running 20LP (Oregon .325) on the stock 18" NK bar/346xp NE.

man was that stuff bitting. very impressed.

i wish i could have got some video's.

:chainsaw:

just got back from running 20LP (Oregon .325) on the stock 18" NK bar/346xp NE.

man was that stuff bitting. very impressed.

i wish i could have got some video's.

:chainsaw:

About the same as I notised when going from 15" NK with 95VP to standard 16" with 21LP - huge difference.....:cheers: :cheers:

Next, when run-in, is 8-pin .325, and more likely the best; 3/8" 7-pin with 73LP or LGX (that is what I have).

I am glad that you changed your avatar, as the "old" one reminded me of some other guy..........

Last edited:
Don't like my 95vp, but love my 346xp

Well I finally had a chance to try my new 346XP today on some dead (fire-killed) pine that was waiting to be bucked. When it came time to put the chain on I appreciated the inboard clutch of my 372Xp....guess I'll get the hang of the 346XP's outboard (but that's already a different thread). She started up nice and easy....the priming bulb is a nice feature. The saw came with Oregon 95VP on an 18" bar. At first I thought wow this cuts nice....then after about 6 or 8 cuts of 8-10" pine I started thinking the chain wasn't performing as it was initially. I tightened the new chain and started again.....it didn't get any better. Cut a few more, checked chain tension, repeated, etc.....no difference so I finished the bucking with the 372XP. As Saw Troll has said I felt like I needed to stand on the saw to get it to cut with that 95VP. I was wearing my PPE but standing on the saw just didn't seem the safest thing to do. It being the saw's first tank of gas I didn't really want to work it to hard either. I have some Woodland Pro 20NK (made by Carlton I'm told) on order from Baileys so hopefully that will work better. If not I'm giving up on the narrow kerf and going with full 3/8 which will mean a change in bar, rim, and another order of chain...
The rpm was about 2900 at idle out of the box. My elevation is 5,000ft......just as an fyi. I wasn't going to mess with the carb during break in but just might (I didn't check max rpm).

You should buy a 357xp, or put a 3/8" chain on your 346.

You should buy a 357xp, or put a 3/8" chain on your 346.

I have my saw plan down/done - 372XP and 346XP.....the 357xp is too close to the 372XP to justify. Although in my possession I still haven't tried the Oregon LP or the WoodsmanPro (Carlton) NK on the 346XP yet. If they don't work out then I will be going to 3/8. It's going to be real cold and snowy here this weekend....just the way I like it for gathering firewood.

OK finally got to try the WoodsmanPro (Carlton) NK (.325) today on some Douglas fir.....and it cut much better than the Oregon 95VP out of the box. I have a feeling the 95VP will work just as well with a good sharpening.
But back to my experience with the NK combined with the 346XP: I now know why folks here have raved about this saw! The saw screamed through 14-20" diameter dead Douglas Fir (see attached pic). Now the 372XP is a strong saw and I love it but the 346XP NE is a screamer out of the box.....makes for a lot of fun. If I put much pressure on the saw I and the saw knew it so would just lighten up and let the RPMs do the cutting......all I can say is that I am very impressed with this saw/chain combo. BTW I tried to get into the hills to get some more firewood but the snow is too deep. I had to cut/split what I have left here at the house.....may be going to RY timber for the remainder of this years firewood ($15 a truck load - log ends from the mill).

Last edited:
well it is a screamer in the sence it screams in the wood under load with snappy midrange and good overrev.

Ok maybe I should have said screaming fast.....especially when compared to my 372XP (all I have to compare it to). The RPMs and torque combined with the lightweight make this a great saw. I wouldn't use it unless I had to on the 20+ inch wood (that's what the 372 is for) but in a pinch it will work.....with a light hand.

i have a 346xp with the same type of chain and hate it

Ok maybe I should have said screaming fast.....especially when compared to my 372XP (all I have to compare it to). The RPMs and torque combined with the lightweight make this a great saw. I wouldn't use it unless I had to on the 20+ inch wood (that's what the 372 is for) but in a pinch it will work.....with a light hand.

yea the 95VP chain isnt that good only for small trees. thats a home owners chain not a pro chain

stihl RMC and RSC for Husky

Hello everybody,

I say this only to share my happiness today, my distributor Stihl has all the measures chains RMC and RSC for my two husqvarna. Today I bought one RMC for my 346 xp (45cc) .325 1.3 RMC and another 3/8 1.5 to my new 372xp. Buy these before RSC because everything that I am cutting trees is dry and hard. I am eager to compare them with husqvarna´s chain.

Greetings :greenchainsaw:

got a chance to run the 3/8 LGX with 16" GB bar some.

i think there is still more left in the saw but i dont want to lean on it too hard yet, only 5-6 tanks thru it.

not sure whats going on with the video quality but thats not what i uploaded. :(

you could see a nice steady stream of chips. :chainsaw:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCPEyObB7Ek&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCPEyObB7Ek&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

In my 346xp (45cc) I do not consider to put chain 3/8 but in .325 later to prove the Stihl chain RMC I believe that I will never use Oregon (Husqvarna)chain. :censored: The difference with the H-30 in my hard wood, as much in speed of cut as in duration of the sharpened one is surprising.:clap:

Greetings:greenchainsaw:

In my 346xp (45cc) I do not consider to put chain 3/8 but in .325 later to prove the Stihl chain RMC I believe that I will never use Oregon (Husqvarna)chain. :censored: The difference with the H-30 in my hard wood, as much in speed of cut as in duration of the sharpened one is surprising.:clap:

Greetings:greenchainsaw:

i agree, greetings! :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back