Finding busted saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My first post/thread

What are the best ways to acquire saws to rebuild, part out, or experiment with?

Please explain your success and failures.

I purchased a husqvarna 51 off Craigslist with poor compression and dropped an aftermarket top on it. I have about $110 in it. Saw was beat up but runs well now. Figured I got a fair deal.

I had a husqvarna 359 given to me that needed a carb. New carb and a muffler mod and it's been fabulous. Did well on this one.

Bought a Stihl 180c that was straight gassed for $25 off a friend. Put in a new piston and sold for $100 profit to another friend.

If I ever get to Arkansas, I'll make sure I stop in. How did you fill 3 buildings?

I forgot to add that I had a coworker that was given a 365 with no spark. After I begged him to sell it to me with no luck. I gave it a new ignition coil and he couldn't be happier.

the trick to finding builders is patience and it sounds like your doing just fine. you've went to long without something new to work on so your losing your patience. guys who can't stay patient are the ones who end up putting more into saws then they are worth. something will pop up eventually.

Stop by you local dealer or small engine shops. They are usually happy to unload some of the saws.

I picked up 2 353 huskys for fifty. One had bad top ent other was crushed by tree.
Only had to buy a brake handle and was good to go.
1b7b8a0ba7ad02f35e042f1e2c78f056.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

If I ever get to Arkansas, I'll make sure I stop in. How did you fill 3 buildings?

I forgot to add that I had a coworker that was given a 365 with no spark. After I begged him to sell it to me with no luck. I gave it a new ignition coil and he couldn't be happier.

The shop has done OPE repair since around 1987 and the old man (well now he's old) built another shed after another instead of tossing anything!

We hauled out about 40 tons of steel a few years ago... mowers, busted up yard tractors, old rotted and busted sawmill equipment (like used flat belts old), etc.

Would need to do a purge on the saws too, just haven't had the ambition or time.

AlasKa duh, I got excited when I got a reply and thinking of all those parts overloaded the brain.

I never thought to talk to dealers, just figured they left them to their owners to dispose of.

I've tried asking the local shops and I have had no luck. One doesn't do saws, just sleds and outboards, the other lets the techs have the saws, and the last one is some character who won't sell a single bolt unless it goes to the scrap yard. I've yet to find a reliable place to buy project saws other than through other members on here. Shipping is the main pain though.

I've been given many saws and repaired a few. Only have two that are over budget but learned my lesson quickly. Check out the entire saw for additional issues before committing to repairs and you normally will do ok. And if you can find pro saws you are normally better off as they will be worth more once running.

when people figure out your working on saws they will start to come to you.....the saws and possibly the people....its a strange thing....the junk pile at your local shop can be a source but don't get greedy....I also learned it't easy to nickel and dime your self out of what you think is a deal top end handle some missing small stuff ect.....its fun and good education but try to keep your perspective!

good luck

Stop by you local dealer or small engine shops. They are usually happy to unload some of the saws.

I picked up 2 353 huskys for fifty. One had bad top ent other was crushed by tree.
Only had to buy a brake handle and was good to go.
1b7b8a0ba7ad02f35e042f1e2c78f056.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
That qualify as a you suck . I love my 353!!! Great saw. I got mine for $60 that was straight gassed. New piston and cleaned the jug and I was GTG!

If you can locate any scrap metal yards within reasonable driving distance, try that. Perhaps talk to the garbage truck folks. A couple of things that helps me at the scrap yard is I fix their demolition saws when needed and I also pitch in cash to the crews pizza fund now and then.
These folks are very willing to pull saws out of the pile for me. Most saws I pay 10-20 bucks a piece. I've also repaired saws that the employees own. Soon I will be selling one of my rebuilt saws to one of the employees who was the same guy who pulled it out of the pile last year. Karma.

Thanks for all the tips. So far it seems that the most successful way is word of mouth with dealers and scrap yards following. My intent was to get people to explain what has worked or not worked for them in the past, and explain what their doimy with the builds. (Flipping, keeping, or parting them out) All of my builds have been for personal use, and the 180 I sold was simply because he wanted the saw and offered enough cash that I couldn't turn him down. Saws are a great hobby for me and just wondering how everyone else was finding junkers and what they were doing with em.

the trick to finding builders is patience and it sounds like your doing just fine. you've went to long without something new to work on so your losing your patience. guys who can't stay patient are the ones who end up putting more into saws then they are worth. something will pop up eventually.
After awhile you'll have more parts saws, runners, and builders than you can handle...like me..

I've been given many saws and repaired a few. Only have two that are over budget but learned my lesson quickly. Check out the entire saw for additional issues before committing to repairs and you normally will do ok. And if you can find pro saws you are normally better off as they will be worth more once running.
I know you won't believe this but it's true: I had one saw given to me and ended up losing money on it..I didn't buy one part for it either. Doubt I'll get the "Businessman of the year" award...

Yeah, conversations with my wife get interesting.

Wife: "Why do you need another saw?"
Me: " the ones I have are to small." "I need a small saw there better on fuel" " it's a good deal" "it has a lot of parts I could use on the one I have" "I'd rather your brother not use one of my good saws when he insists on helping"

Maybe there should be a thread on excuses to buy another saw.

Back