Finding busted saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, conversations with my wife get interesting.

Wife: "Why do you need another saw?"
Me: " the ones I have are to small." "I need a small saw there better on fuel" " it's a good deal" "it has a lot of parts I could use on the one I have" "I'd rather your brother not use one of my good saws when he insists on helping"

Maybe there should be a thread on excuses to buy another saw.

Or you could try mine; "Projects in my garage keep me out of your kitchen". Works every time.

Or you could try mine; "Projects in my garage keep me out of your kitchen". Works every time.
I'm going to have to remember that one for when I get back home from school. Little do the parent's know there will be a couple boxes full of saws and saw parts. Parts seem to be easier to justify than entire saws though. Got any ideas?

My first post/thread

What are the best ways to acquire saws to rebuild, part out, or experiment with?

Please explain your success and failures.

I purchased a husqvarna 51 off Craigslist with poor compression and dropped an aftermarket top on it. I have about $110 in it. Saw was beat up but runs well now. Figured I got a fair deal.

I had a husqvarna 359 given to me that needed a carb. New carb and a muffler mod and it's been fabulous. Did well on this one.

Bought a Stihl 180c that was straight gassed for $25 off a friend. Put in a new piston and sold for $100 profit to another friend.

Now that I've read at least the first bit.

Talk to your local small time saw shop, kinda shop what fixes and repairs, and maybe has a small store front, possible has a rental business as well.

These folks get all sorts of random junk brought in to them, most are too old to bother fixing, many the owner doesn't wan't to spend the $400 in parts and labor when a new saw that has a warranty is only $350.

I've picked up a handful of saws this way, some have been hidden gems, some not worth the effort, somewhere in Scotland an 046 I acquired this way is hopefully still helping a former member make a living.

Currently in my saw line up is an 036 and an 064, one I paid about half price for and has been a good runner from the start, the other is a basket case determined to remain in the basket, but after spending far too much in parts and learning way more about old saws than I care to think about, its a damned good saw and slowly working on me to abandon my trusty 461's that haven't been touched in 2 weeks...

My first post/thread

What are the best ways to acquire saws to rebuild, part out, or experiment with?

Please explain your success and failures.

I purchased a husqvarna 51 off Craigslist with poor compression and dropped an aftermarket top on it. I have about $110 in it. Saw was beat up but runs well now. Figured I got a fair deal.

I had a husqvarna 359 given to me that needed a carb. New carb and a muffler mod and it's been fabulous. Did well on this one.

Bought a Stihl 180c that was straight gassed for $25 off a friend. Put in a new piston and sold for $100 profit to another friend.

Choose your saws as a not to popular make/model may be difficult to flip & leave you out of pocket, try to stick with newer AV/ chain brake equipped if you are aiming to move them on older are OK if you are collecting Try to avoid selling to friends/mates they'll expect you to fix it FOC for the next 20years visit all the known outlets in your area don't ask silly prices a 10/20$ profit(don't forget to charge your time) is better than having a saw sat around through being to expensive It's a sort of play by ear, ask around don't expect something for nothing (accept if offered & if incomplete consider for spares although the same parts usually are the worn out/broken ones)Walk before you try to run take it steady & you'll be fine Possibly word will get around & repairing for other folk will be part of your set up. Best of Luck.

Make enough time for your wife and treat her better than your hobbies. I know my balance is off when she tells me she wishes she was a hobbies. So a few years ago I decided she was....and it's been the best years!

Oh, and as far as getting saws, just be patient and persistent.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I went back over and picked up another saw. Last owner said he wasn't gonna do anything with it so I took it off his hands. It was a Roper saw sold by Sears/Craftsman. Kinda dirty as most used saws are and the top cover was cracked but I poured a little fuel mix in the carb and it fired right up. Never had a roper before...

I find many of mine at farm auctions, friends cleaning out garages, friends of friends that know that I repair them and part them out. Just let it be known that you are looking and soon enough saws will appear. My best day was when a co-worker cleaned out his fathers garage and gave me 11 saws. Some ran as they were and others needed work. After a few months they were all sold or given away to needy homes. I still made money on the deal. I try finding saws that match what I have or what I think I'll need to repair another saw.

I cruse the local St. Vincent DePaul Superstore and have walked away with some nice saws that only needed a little TLC and some small spare parts. My last find was a Husky 51 for $35 that spent years out in the shed. Pretty sure the carb is messed up but it has a solid spark and compression like a new saw. One needs to be patience and always travel with a spark plug wrench and a compression gauge.

Heading out next week to knock on some doors since I'm off most of the week. I'll see how it goes. Is anyone parting out saws? There seems to be a lot of used OEM parts being sold for a decent price.

My wife is very understanding. We give each other a lot of crap just for the fun of it. I'm very lucky!!!

As it was said earlier, once the word is out you are a "saw" person, chainsaws usually start coming your way. Got a free 026 Stihl in a carrying case that the person told me "fix it or part it out, but do something with it because I don't use it anymore". All it needed was a new plug and fresh gas, used it for a few years but the kill switch stopped working recently, now you have to choke it to shut it off but I'm not complaining. Also have gotten a few good deals on saws at live auctions in the past (a rough but running 046 Stihl w/dual port muffler for $2!) but who knows how long that will last with everyone going online now.

Make enough time for your wife and treat her better than your hobbies. I know my balance is off when she tells me she wishes she was a hobbies. So a few years ago I decided she was....and it's been the best years!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

This works for me as well. Wife has been dead set on going to Morocco. Has been talking about it for years. We're leaving in a few hours. Next time she complains when 3 or 4 large boxes show up from Sweden, I'll remind her how much we spent on this trip!

Maybe there should be a thread on excuses to buy another saw.
First of all Welcome to the forum CK0461.
Second We don't make excuses, we give reasons ;).
Not gonna work :omg:. If you've ever seen a picture of my saws you'd know what I mean lol.
I'm going to have to remember that one for when I get back home from school. Little do the parent's know there will be a couple boxes full of saws and saw parts. Parts seem to be easier to justify than entire saws though. Got any ideas?
Let them know you will be disassembling the whole saws o_O.
What about the "When I have as many saws as you have pairs of footwear I'll stop " In most cases you should be OK for a while
That's not gonna work either, I've got more :D.
Mine is "As long as my 2 cycle collection is worth less than your makeup collection. " I should be good for a long time. :D
Nope, neither will this, she doesn't wear much :rock:. By the way, how much does your wife wear/how many and what kind of saws do you have :popcorn2:.
One great thing for me is my wife likes the smell of 2-stroke oil, cheapest cologne out there, $5-7 a gallon :p.

Oh, and as far as getting saws, just be patient and persistent.
For the win :numberone:.
I mean what I say in my signature. If my wife asked me to sell all my saws, I would do it right away, she's awesome and they are a bunch of "metal and plastic"(my signature). And the reason she doesn't mind me having them is because she already knows thats what I would do, it's been proven true in regards to other hobbies/work, she's way more important than they are and she knows it. I gave up riding bikes when she asked and sold my limited edition 96 GSXR 750(you know the one on all the magazine covers :sweet:), and have quit jobs she didn't like me being at for various reasons. Lets make sure it doesn't sound like I'm leaning to far the wrong way, there is a clear leader in the home, and she's supportive of that just as her needs are taken into account as it's a great partnership but when there's a call to make I'll make it no problem.
My wife is very understanding. We give each other a lot of crap just for the fun of it. I'm very lucky!!!
Your a lucky man for sure, just always remember that and you will do well at most everything, because she will have your back and will encourage you all the way.

Latest posts

Back