Finding busted saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, neither will this, she doesn't wear much :rock:. By the way, how much does your wife wear/how many and what kind of saws do you have :popcorn2:.
One great thing for me is my wife likes the smell of 2-stroke oil, cheapest cologne out there, $5-7 a gallon :p.

My addiction is still in the early stages, and is more fixing broken power tools. (PAD?) I only have 2 saws (so far), 3 string trimmers (not working), 1 working string trimmer, 1 electric edger, 1 blower (2 cycle), 1 electric shopvac/blower, 1 saws-all, 1 working push mower, 1 non working push mower. Almost all were curb finds. Over the past year or two I've found, fixed and sold almost as much stuff. Which is financing what I call phase 2, watching Craigslist for stupid good deals. (The 026 was a $50 Craigslist find)

To keep this thread somewhat on track; Saturdays, Sundays, & Monday mornings, when I have an extra minute or two, I'll 'take the long way' driving places and hunt a neighborhood or two for curb finds. People tend to clean out their garages & do yard work on weekends.

Have a pre-set budget and be patient on Craigslist, assume everything is going to need at least basic maintenance (fuel filter, fuel lines, carb rebuild, sparkplug, maybe air filter, and pull cord) The descriptions can really help too, like there's an ad right now in my area for a push mower for $20, the that says "Was running good, hit a big root, now it won't start" pretty much a classic flywheel key, maybe a $1 part, or a bent drive shaft which might not be worth replacing. But you have a good idea of what's wrong and what to look for before you even look at it. Just don't get too excited about the flywheel key and forget to check basics. Flywheel key + carb rebuild + air filter + rear wheel + throttle cable... now your in the area of not being proffitable even on a $20 mower.

My addiction is still in the early stages, and is more fixing broken power tools. (PAD?) I only have 2 saws (so far), 3 string trimmers (not working), 1 working string trimmer, 1 electric edger, 1 blower (2 cycle), 1 electric shopvac/blower, 1 saws-all, 1 working push mower, 1 non working push mower. Almost all were curb finds. Over the past year or two I've found, fixed and sold almost as much stuff. Which is financing what I call phase 2, watching Craigslist for stupid good deals. (The 026 was a $50 Craigslist find)

To keep this thread somewhat on track; Saturdays, Sundays, & Monday mornings, when I have an extra minute or two, I'll 'take the long way' driving places and hunt a neighborhood or two for curb finds. People tend to clean out their garages & do yard work on weekends.

Have a pre-set budget and be patient on Craigslist, assume everything is going to need at least basic maintenance (fuel filter, fuel lines, carb rebuild, sparkplug, maybe air filter, and pull cord) The descriptions can really help too, like there's an ad right now in my area for a push mower for $20, the that says "Was running good, hit a big root, now it won't start" pretty much a classic flywheel key, maybe a $1 part, or a bent drive shaft which might not be worth replacing. But you have a good idea of what's wrong and what to look for before you even look at it. Just don't get too excited about the flywheel key and forget to check basics. Flywheel key + carb rebuild + air filter + rear wheel + throttle cable... now your in the area of not being proffitable even on a $20 mower.
That's funny, its not an addiction for me, I just get a little extreme with most everything I do :rock:.
I buy and sell a lot of choice honda products. Once you learn a specific model you know what goes wrong with them and that helps the learning curve a lot.
Last year I wanted to learn about the 2 series saws as I never had much exposure to them. I had every one made except the 268 and the 257, I had one I bought and I should have went with my gut on it because it was a late night purchase. It ended up being low on compression. I still did well in it but my recognized profits were pushed out a little further as I'm not set up to work in saws so I don't very often, but didn't want to take a loss on it.
It turned out very nice with a 254 base gasket to bump the compression a bit and the guy I sold it to was pleased and bought other saws from me after he received it :).
I'm on my phone now so I can add a picture of what my countertop/table looks like at any given time lol.
20171031_084833.jpg

I have more of a cheap disorder than an addiction. I get such enjoyment out of putting a little elbow grease into a piece of equipment, and the end result being a 1/4 the price of new. If I start putting some cash in my pocket it will be an addiction. I really have to learn that when I get a good deal to flip it. I have a lot of stuff that was purchased with that in mind but ended up keeping it.

Keep at it, you'll find one or two you'd sacrifice to someone else..
I went through my building today, and I have 2 that I'm going to put up on the trading post plus a few parts. Both are old enough not to have chain brakes so I don't want to spend any money fixing them. An 020av with a fuel issue, and a McCullough Mac 140 that needs an ignition coil. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get the most out of them? Part out vs complete vs fix and sell.

About the chain brakes: I dont think it's a big deal to not have a chain brake but to some people it's a big deal. Many of these vintage saws will never be used in the woods so what's the big deal? I've got several saws that are vintage and haven't been started for a long time, two or three are so heavy I wouldn't attempt to use them!

I agree with you on the chain brakes and ebay. Sold one thing on eBay and usps screwed up my package. Somehow it was my fault that they bent a 2" PVC pipe and broke the fishing rod. I was told insurance didn't cover it because of how it was packaged and I swore I'd never do it again.
I figure I'll let someone enjoy these saws instead of them collecting dust.

I found a project saw for this weekend!! An Echo CS8000 that has been disassembled but is supposably complete. This is the first echo I've had the privilege of working on. I'll post some pics and let y'all know how things turn out Friday. It was a reply to my Craigslist wanted add asking for broken saws.

Thanks again for the suggestions and tips!!

Got my bucket of parts yesterday. CS 8000 is missing a few parts (manual oiler, chain brake assembly). Everything else is back together and the saw will start, but dies when throttle is applied. Piston and cylinder are well but I left my compression gauge at home. I'm planning a carb rebuild. Anybody have a source for echo parts online?

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    826.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    801.3 KB · Views: 6
Update, after digging on here for a little. I found that the adjustments on these carbs are not the 1.5 turns that I'm used to. They just needed to be backed out some more. Saw runs and idles great. Since there is no chain brake this saw may live on a milling jig. Not a bad find.

My semi-regular dig into local classifieds.

1)An MS231 for €20 less than I paid mine brand new including VAT
2)A used MS193T for the same price I paid mine. Again VAT included. :confused:
3)An MS310 for €80 more its value with a bar so worn it's only good for scrap metal.
4)A 075AV for what looks like a decent price. Comes with a brand new 36" Rollomatic bar and chain. Very tempting but I don't need saws that big right now.
5)Two ECHO CS601's for €170 each.
6)A seized (says so in the ad) Zenoah GS621 for €100. Very tempting but good luck finding parts for it. No, I am not putting a Chinse top end in such a good saw.

Do you guys have Facebook?
Ever use the Facebook Marketplace?

I put a couple ads on there, "Buying used/broken/unwanted chainsaws, weedwackers, lawn equipment"
The last time I had to take the ad down within a day of posting it because I was getting an overwhelming response of messages. I ended up but a couple lots of equipment. One lot of 4 chainsaws, another lot of 6 weedwackers, 2 brush cutters, and a snowblower. All of them cheap money

Latest posts

Back