Finished my first set of wood racks. (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look good. Well built and very sturdy looking. I like how you got them up off the ground with the blocks. Keep the wood from rotting out faster and get good air circulation. The only thing that I might add is shingles to the top. But if it is easier and cheaper to replace the plywood every couple of years then I wouldn't add the weight.

How large are they?

Those look great !

I gave the pics to my dad, he needs to build a couple soon.

Thanks for posting ! :cheers:

If I did my math right they hold just over a cord apiece...correct? IF so that is a very nice setup, do you have an average cost per rack?
Thanks
did the math wrong but figured you are at 120cuft so just under a cord still very nice.

Last edited:
Good job!

Those are nice looking racks. I might just build me some as I have some green stuff that could use the exposure to the elements (my woodshed is walled on three sides and is for fully seasoned wood).

If I did my math right they hold just over a cord apiece...correct? IF so that is a very nice setup, do you have an average cost per rack?
Thanks
did the math wrong but figured you are at 120cuft so just under a cord still very nice.

I built them to hold a cord + or - a little. I cut my wood 18" so it is a little under a cord. I used a very well built pallet for the base on the left one. The one the right (pic 46) is built like a tank and VERY sturdy. I think I had 80.00 to 85.00 in it. I designed this in cad before I built it and it did turn out very well.

Last edited:
Good job!

Those are nice looking racks. I might just build me some as I have some green stuff that could use the exposure to the elements (my woodshed is walled on three sides and is for fully seasoned wood).

I will keep my wood in these even when fully seasoned. You would be amazed how well this keeps the rain out. Yea, some blows in but not enough to hurt. Lot better than no cover at all which is the way I used to do (stacking on the ground).

not enough to hurt.

Rain doesn't hurt, it helps. When it evaporates it takes moisture in the wood out with it. Same concept as licking your lips and ending up with chapped lips.

Only time it hurts is if evaporation cant happen and the wood stays wet and rots, like if it was under a tarp.

Those are some very nice lookin' wood racks. You put me to shame as I think I'm doing something when I stack on top of two 16' lengths of pressure treated 4x4 and put a tarp on top.

I'm getting a little better. I used to be a split it and pile it and leave it kind of guy. It worked well but the layer on the ground was always suseptable. Now I've graduated too the cross stacking on pallets method. I go about 5 feet high. I also only use the tarps in winter on the next years seasoning quarters or semi splits. I'm splitting those now and several are good to go just from the Oct-now period they spent all winter. Never the less, they will spend the summer on the pallets "greying" up. :clap: I love the racks though. They look really organised and you'll never have to beg(as I do) at the lumber yard for the old lumber tarps! :clap:
I'm thinking seriously of a woodshed like AAndabooks built! You guys are shaming me into organised wood storage. :cheers:

Now that's NICE. I've been laying some old salvaged roofing tin on the ground -- it helps keep ground moisture from wicking up into the bottom of the pile; then a row of "poor" sticks on the tin to keep the actual firewood up where air can circulate; and finally a tarp of some sort held down with bungies. Those racks look so good I may have to try that out.

Now all I need is to build about 2 or 3 more. What do you think?

Awesome job on those racks !!! They look good and sturdy, like that the wood is off the ground, perfect for circulation, could not have done it any better !!! Great Work !!

Latest posts

Back