Fir twig problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumper

One Man Band
Reaction score
Does any one have a good pic of Delphinella balsamea infection on firs? Also other info and suggestions on what might cause the twig tips/needles to brown and drop would be welcomed.

Frost damage???, but you'd of thought of that. Is it all over the tree or just one area? Balsam Fir?

Last edited:
All over the tree except the top tips. New growth is dead back to the old terminal. No problems noted in the spring. My ID on this tree is not 100%. Subalpine fir I think. Owners just thought "Its a pine." We have a few White fir in town. This looks a little different. Reminds me of young Douglas fir but I just am not sure-except it is not a Pine or Spruce and doesn't look like a Hemlock.

lotsa fir my way, any chance of a decent picture or two?

Hmmm.... Kinda sounds like what we had around here a lot this spring. We had a very cold wind that killed a lot of new growth on a lot of spruce trees, especially younger ones. Started showing up around Memorial Day, mebbe later, I can't remember.

Have any cold winds in early summer? I know it's possible out there in CO, depending on elevation.....

Dan

I don't know if its relative to your situation, but the tips on our Mountain Hemlock browned and wilted last year.

It was sunburn. The new growth was not acclimatized to the heat and light - merely weeks old - then the weather heated very quick.

Had me scratching my head for a while.

Hmm... we had a fairly wet (for here) spring that warmed up suddenly in late june into 100+ temps and dry winds. Still wondering though.

Latest posts

Back