Fire and wood explained

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That guy's great, I've seen him in some other videos. That's a pretty good breakdown for the layman.

WTF??? This guy needs laid...:dizzy:

Really?
This man is world famous for doing just what he likes doing, including being on the team that developed the 1st nuclear bomb, WWII.
He was an accomplished person as they get...
Contributed a hefty load of firewood to our Scientific Bonefire, bucked, split & stacked for us all.
Also wrote some funny & accessible books for us less educated folks. In fact, this vid shows how he had the capability to pass his interest and knowledge to others.
He passed away in 1988, and I wish I will be able to look back before I die and be satisfied with what I leave behind.

And that's what I have to say about it.

SA

He didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already but it was a very good explanation all the same.
Such a shame that more science teachers aren't as good as him at explaining things.
Its beyond me that some teachers can make such interesting subjects as physics and chemistry seem dry and dull, how do they manage it?

simplistic for wood, ok for coal
wood is C6-H12-O6 or similar so the C is already tied to the O + wood is 1/2 air , unlike coal
wood combustion results in Co2 + H2O where the H is "jiggled" so to make heat & unlike coal, requires consideration for possible unburnt creosote in the chimni due to the creation of H2O

I like his explanation. He is aiming for "simplicity" and he achieves it, IMO.

Yes, carbon is bonded with oxygen in wood, but its connectivity is not the same as found as CO2. There are a lot of C--C bonds to be broken.

On another level, he also gives an example of how natural cycles can be symmetrical and even poetic.

Last edited:
Really?
This man is world famous for doing just what he likes doing, including being on the team that developed the 1st nuclear bomb, WWII.
Contributed a hefty load of firewood to our Scientific Bonefire, bucked, split & stacked for us all.
Also wrote some funny & accessible books for us less educated folks. In fact, this vid shows how he had the capability to pass his interest and knowledge to others.
He passed away in 1988, and I wish I will be able to look back before I die and be satisfied with what I leave behind.

SA

It was just a joke relax. Can't tell me he is not a dork.:laugh:

Aw c'mon! We all know that Internet forums create all sorts of cyber tough guys. This site probably has a bunch of dorks and nerds on it. :yoyo:
I started programming computers as a teenager in the early 1980's and have chemistry and computer science degrees. Is that dorky enough for you? Nerds of the world, unite!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Agreed, informational....

But he reminds me of the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Really?

SA

Thanks for the info. That guy sure was amazing!:bowdown:

I'll bite. Is that another joke? :hmm3grin2orange:

Feynman is a historically brilliant physicist and teacher. That is most definitely not a joke.

Really?

I read a great book on the building of the Atomic bomb. HOLY COW, what an undertaking that was. They had to practically reinvent every aspect of science as they went along. Talk about a superhuman effort. Read up on that, it will blow your mind what they had to do.

I'll bite. Is that another joke? Feynman is a historically brilliant physicist and teacher. That is most definitely not a joke.

He's a scientist. All scientists are dorks. That's not necessarily an insult - just a fact! :)
He can explain the inner workings of the chainsaw and the molecular structure of the various elements which make it up, but he'd probably cut his leg off if he tried to use one. God bless our egg-headed dorks! We'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for them. :clap::clap:

They had to practically reinvent every aspect of science as they went along.

ONE of the processes used at Oakridge (and we were trying several simultaneously because we really weren't sure what would end up working or flopping) used the electric power equivalent to all of Canada at the time.

Had a college professor whose father would've been the scientific observer on the third bomb to be dropped on Japan. The first we were certain would work, the second we were confident would work. The third...we were pretty dog gone hopeful.

Along with the one we had tested, that was four. If I recall correctly there wouldn't have been enough uranium to make a fifth bomb until Spring of '46 had Japan not surrendered.

Anyway, back to the guy in the original video -- Richard Feynman. He was one of the most gifted teachers in history. He just had a real natural ability to take really complex concepts and make them understandable. I've read the transcript to his 1959 "There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom" lecture given at a convention of physicists -- http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html -- which was 20 years ahead of it's time and didn't make much of an impact on the science, but folks were impressed by his presentation :)

While he may look at Assange, mentally they're nothing alike. Feynman was great at connecting with people; Assange has some sort of mental problems (my money is on a mild form of Aspberger's) -- how he views the world and people in it isn't how most people view it.

WTF??? This guy needs laid...:dizzy:

From Wikipedia;
In Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, he gives advice on the best way to pick up a girl in a hostess bar. At Caltech, he used a nude/topless bar as an office away from his usual office, making sketches or writing physics equations on paper placemats. When the county officials tried to close the place, all visitors except Feynman refused to testify in favor of the bar, fearing that their families or patrons would learn about their visits. Only Feynman accepted, and in court, he affirmed that the bar was a public need, stating that craftsmen, technicians, engineers, common workers "and a physics professor" frequented the establishment. While the bar lost the court case, it was allowed to remain open as a similar case was pending appeal.[12]

World famous physicist who spent his life around college campuses and strip bars. I'll bet Feynman got laid at will.:laugh:

From Wikipedia;
In Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, he gives advice on the best way to pick up a girl in a hostess bar. At Caltech, he used a nude/topless bar as an office away from his usual office, making sketches or writing physics equations on paper placemats. When the county officials tried to close the place, all visitors except Feynman refused to testify in favor of the bar, fearing that their families or patrons would learn about their visits. Only Feynman accepted, and in court, he affirmed that the bar was a public need, stating that craftsmen, technicians, engineers, common workers "and a physics professor" frequented the establishment. While the bar lost the court case, it was allowed to remain open as a similar case was pending appeal.[12]

World famous physicist who spent his life around college campuses and strip bars. I'll bet Feynman got laid at will.:laugh:

my guess is his will is very little in that dept.

Latest posts

Back