Fire Blight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
One of my clients has been told she has FB on her Catoniastors.
These are really well taken care, very large, :chainsawguy:eek:ne is a center peice at her home.
She was told this by her MG.
I have not them yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, they contacted me because I have been caring for them for the last 20 years, (twice a year) some apple trees on the property died of FB.

Yes, they contacted me because I have been caring for them for the last 20 years, (twice a year) some apple trees on the property died of FB.
this is not a bright spot in your resume'--they need to see you more than twice a year! fb control is fairly straightforward--early and aggressive pruning is usually all it takes, and there are chemicals if it gets out of hand.

Known more as a pear problem than apple--other issues with those too?

Pruning cuts should be made about 6" below obviously infected areas. The sterilization of your pruning shears between cuts is not nearly as important as quickly responding to the infection BEFORE the cankered areas begin releasing spores to spread the infection further.

Thank you for the constructive/DIS.
I will not include this in my resume.
I am aware of the basic way to take care of FB.
I put this question "out there", looking for a "secret sauce".
Nevertheless, please keep the information coming.

I put this question "out there", looking for a "secret sauce".
Ohhh, why didn't you say so?

If there was such a sauce, it'd be on a shelf somewhere.

No dis to you that the client does not have you there often enough!

:agree2: with UF.

If by "Secret Sauce" you mean chemical treatment, the use of oxytetracycline or streptomycin can be done. Some states may limit the purchase of these to licensed applicators. However w/o pruning it's like closing the barn door after the horse got out. Stem cankers MUST be removed, good luck. Hopefully this is a "first" year infection and pruning will not have to be too severe.

fire blight on a bradford pear..?

took this pic out here in CA...

someone told the city it looked like FB, whatcha think..?
they thought it could be FB cuz of the flame like appearance of the leaflet I'm assuming... hehe...

Latest posts

Back