Fire in the Hole!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were working on a backwood's ROW on a day like today a nice fire like that would come in handy.

Good call, Nails!

My guys wanna know: "How cold is too cold?"

I told them I will work in subzero temps with 35 mph winds. I also tell them I don't pay much attention until my eyelids start to freeze shut.

I'm afraid though, if I started a fire that they wouldn't want to get anything done.

I don't know, I say it depends on the job at hand. When equipment wont run, stuffs breakin, and you can't get any help to go with you, there's your sign. Other than that, frozen yards dominate to work on. We don't back down to the weather much if there's work to do, but it's in our blood.

I don't know, I say it depends on the job at hand. When equipment wont run, stuffs breakin, and you can't get any help to go with you, there's your sign. Other than that, frozen yards dominate to work on. We don't back down to the weather much if there's work to do, but it's in our blood.

I hear you.

I had mercy on monday and sat it out on account of a small blizzard, but we've done well so far otherwise.

Last year, my old crew was often times the only crew in the company running on some of the colder days, but we had to wrestle the cold blooded Deutz powered chuck and duck to do it. This year I have one with a kubota and she starts and runs better in the cold.

I like that, when everyone else's chipper "won't start," I'm running. I thank God for that grit, and also for the wisdom to know when it really is time to stay in.

The guys are holding up as long as we stay moving.

The frozen tundra and lack of leaves, makes our stops quick and efficient. And with the crops out and the fields frozen my options for access are greatly increased.

I try and get us bunkered down in the timber on cold and windy days as much as I can, but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it if you want a pay check.

Helps to get them ready for what an ice storm could throw at us, wherein waits their next challenge. We have to be aware of what difficulties the winter weather can give us in all regards, if we are to be of any use in that environment, especially when there are enough uncertainties already.

Can't throw in the towel on those days...too many people, and children especially, without power.

How come I have never thought to just burn down the tree, so there is no more cutting to do, brilliant. You can just sit back and watch from the warm truck.

:clap:

How come I have never thought to just burn down the tree, so there is no more cutting to do, brilliant. You can just sit back and watch from the warm truck.

make sure to light the tips first:monkey:

I was thinking of this tree this morning, as it was still -9 at 11 am. I was listening to Jerry Beranek on another forum as he talked about a huge, dangerous tree he was going to try to burn down. Its an option if you have the room.

I was thinking of this tree this morning, as it was still -9 at 11 am. I was listening to Jerry Beranek on another forum as he talked about a huge, dangerous tree he was going to try to burn down. Its an option if you have the room.

Too bad you missed the Expo, you could have met Jerry and broke bread with him.

Latest posts

Back