Fire rings&indoor wood storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audible fart

MS390 OAK CZAR
Reaction score
I went to lowes and looked at their selection of the circular metal firewood holder dealies. I've always called them fire rings, don't know if if that's the technical term. I was very underwhelmed by the quality and prices. Home depot said that they were a "seasonal item" and had none in
stock. News flash to home depot: it's FALL now. Hell with 'em anyway. Even if depot had them in stock they'd be chinese junk. So what setups do you guys have as far as fire rings go? What brands and where did ye get them? Also, I need a good way to store firewood inside the house, about 8 foot from the stove. If all else fails I'll just keep using an old canvas army bag. But I'm sure something nicer could be had. If anybody has a good setup with fire rings or indoor wood storage, feel free to post pics and info about it. My canvas bag and constant trips outside routine needs an upgrade this season. :dizzy:

Plastic trash containers with wheels work great. Take them outside and fill them up, then roll them back in...

trashcan.jpg

Unless you really enjoy carrying in your wood by hand, how about just a good old fashion wheel barrow. I think that looks good full of wood and sitting near the stove.

Last edited:
Woodbox... maybe I'm old fashioned though :)

Same here. Our winter's supply is stored under a roof, so we dont have issues with needing snowmelt etc needing to dry or anything.

Our box is about 30" wide and 4' tall. Holds a days supply. I get up early and bring in 3 heaping armloads to last the day.

Our box has a lid, so it's storage that doubles as seating. Best seat in the house in the wintertime. Hunker up with a book or just enjoy the heat whilst looking out the window as the snow falls and piles up in the dooryard.

...and I'd be remiss if I failed to take advantage of the opportunity to post this up:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRlj5vjp3Ko&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRlj5vjp3Ko&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I own two of the steel 3-4' diameter hoops from home depot. They were only like 12$ or something, very cheap. I don't have any issues with solid steel from foregin countries since the strength of the steel is more than adequate given the use of solid square stock. I use one ring for two days worth of firewood and I fill the other ring with fine split kindling twice per year. The rings easily fold up and hang from a nail on the wall in the barn during the summer months.

...and I'd be remiss if I failed to take advantage of the opportunity to post this up:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRlj5vjp3Ko&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRlj5vjp3Ko&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I / we don't heat with wood so cannot contribute to the thread topic, but applaud the insertion of Johnny Cash! Thanks -- the song / vid bring back many memories.

I use rubbermade plastic totes and a dolly. My stove is in the basement, so I feed the wood thru a casement window a cord at a time, then haul it to where I stack it 4 totes full at a time on the dolly. Keeps you from having to clean up too much too.

i have a small metal rack near the stove. it holds maybe 2-armloads of wood at best. next to that i have a big ass rubbermaid tote i keep full. between the 2 i can go about 2-3 days if memory serves me correct. thats with the insert.

the shenandoah is in the cellar near my big stash of wood. so i just usually raid the pile for that stove.

If your stove is small like my F100 you can use an ash bucket to haul in a couple loads. The black one in the photo only cost me $1 as a scratch-and-dent at Target.

attachment.php

We use 20 gal plastic totes with rope handles bought at the dollar store. We bring it in from our covered porch where I keep a little over a face cord (4' x 10') in a rack next to the door. Weekly, I replenish the stack on the porch. The tote does a good job of keeping the mess down. I have to empty the fines out of it a couple times during the winter.

Don

I took in two 4x8" sheets of 3/16" steel in the basement alont with my plasma cutter and welder and built a steel box with a hindged roof. I havent used it yet because I have yet to get a furnace, but I figured it will work great to keep a good supply of wood inside the house, but keep the bugs and all the mess contained.

Latest posts

Back