Fire Trucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifelaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have had alot more fire trucks going by the homestead this last week. I wonder if it's chimney fire season? I have also been seeing a lot of P/U's with less than dry wood getting deliverd.

chimney fires and of coarse fires started by folks trying to stay warm at night with space heaters. The cold weather brings out the desperate in folks, along with the wood hacks that sell "seasoned" wood that they just whacked down this morning.

It never ceases to amaze me when I stop by our local farmers market and these guys are parked there with a pickup load of fresh cut red oak, and try and pass it off as "seasoned". I have told more than one guy you would have an easier time convincing the really daft folks that it was seasoned if your saw wasnt stuck in the pile in the back and the splitting maul in the front seat.

I shudder to think what some of the chimneys look like around this county!

And another reason people are having fires is failure to inspect chimneys before the season. Seen one fire caused by a birds nest built around the rain cap.

When I lived out of town a couple of guys stopped and asked if I wanted to buy some "seasoned" wood I asked them if that was there saws I heard out back in the swamp they said yeah but the wood was saesoned standing I asked about all of the green leaves they got the idea I was not going to buy any then left. I felt sorry for whoever they sold it to. And to add it was the end of oct. when this happend.

chimney fires and of coarse fires started by folks trying to stay warm at night with space heaters. The cold weather brings out the desperate in folks, along with the wood hacks that sell "seasoned" wood that they just whacked down this morning.

It never ceases to amaze me when I stop by our local farmers market and these guys are parked there with a pickup load of fresh cut red oak, and try and pass it off as "seasoned". I have told more than one guy you would have an easier time convincing the really daft folks that it was seasoned if your saw wasnt stuck in the pile in the back and the splitting maul in the front seat.

I shudder to think what some of the chimneys look like around this county!

And don't forget the ads for "seasoned" firewood... "Will cut to length"
Uh.... OK??? I got 2 cord of Post Oak in the barn that was standing dead... Bark was starting to fall off... I cut and split it 2 months ago, and still wouldn't try to make it burn... It was 32% moisture when I split it! :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a couple of red oaks standing dead two years and i'll bet 32% is low on the trunks. Oak wilt has killed a lot of trees around here.

And I thought this thread was about fire trucks..... :msp_angry:

46firetruck-1.jpg

I have a couple of red oaks standing dead two years and i'll bet 32% is low on the trunks. Oak wilt has killed a lot of trees around here.

You ain't kiddin'... Oak holds a lot of water... Is Higgins lake just as clear as it used to be about 20 years ago? Kinda miss that area... Not in January mind you, but still think it's beautiful country up there...

You ain't kiddin'... Oak holds a lot of water... Is Higgins lake just as clear as it used to be about 20 years ago? Kinda miss that area... Not in January mind you, but still think it's beautiful country up there...

I've never been on higgins but houghton was loaded with weeds where we were at this summer (milfoil) has taken over a lot of lakes up here.

Higgins lake is still as clear as it was 20 years ago. I fish it alot in the winter for smelt and perch

My experience, there's three distinct times that chimney fires come in clusters.

The biggest, and usually worse and biggest PITA, is the first truly cold snap of the year -- when temps drop into the low teens, and roofs invariably have snow and ice on them, and folks really crank the woodstove up. This is an especially good time for partition fires when combustibles in the wall that have spent years being pyrolized by the long term, persistent heat from the flue, finally get tipped over the edge by the extra heat.

Next busiest is surprisingly the very end of the season -- folks end up choking down their stoves in March and April. By mid April the creosote is ready to go.

This time of year, the early fall, you pick up a few chimneys that didn't managed to light off back in April :)

Yep first good cold snap here and I spent 2 Saturday's in a row at house fires one started with a chimney fire and ended up being the hottest fire I've ever been in. Melted the reflectors on my helmet. It was an old farm house and once it got into the walls and ceiling it was all over.

Latest posts

Back