Fire wood on trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What are you purchasing for or selling for a trailer load of hard woods trees/logs to buck in to fire wood in your area.

Believe it or not the weights and measures people in Ohio have nothing better to do than bust the poor SOBs trying to make a couple bucks selling firewood. Any quantification other than cord, face cord or rick and multiples of said isnt legal for trade and they had a big crackdown a few years ago, at least in my area. Gone are pick up loads, trailer loads etc. A person can however sell slab wood, tree tops etc for undisclosed purposes :cool:

Such is life in the states LOBO, at least this one.

Butch, you know that is sad when there is a convicted criminal sitting in the statehouse running Ohio.

Butch(OH) said:
Believe it or not the weights and measures people in Ohio have nothing better to do than bust the poor SOBs trying to make a couple bucks selling firewood. Any quantification other than cord, face cord or rick and multiples of said isnt legal for trade and they had a big crackdown a few years ago, at least in my area. Gone are pick up loads, trailer loads etc. A person can however sell slab wood, tree tops etc for undisclosed purposes :cool:

Canada does have a similar weights and measures act....

That is all a bunch of crap in my opinion, (not saying that it isn't true) the Weights and measures act only protects stupid people in my opinion... Two people of normal intelligence should be able to strike up a deal, which each party considers fair and agree up on it, regardless of the quantity in question... Wether it be a cord or the amount of wood I could cram into a civic hatchback.... Standard measurements are conveniant so one can compare "apples to apples", but should not be a necessity

I have looked into log loads last year a little bit, but never purchased any, this year I probably end up getting a triaxle load (approx 7 full cords) , normally around 100+$ per full cord in my area

ontario026 said:
Canada does have a similar weights and measures act....

That is all a bunch of crap in my opinion, (not saying that it isn't true) the Weights and measures act only protects stupid people in my opinion... Two people of normal intelligence should be able to strike up a deal, which each party considers fair and agree up on it, regardless of the quantity in question... Wether it be a cord or the amount of wood I could cram into a civic hatchback.... Standard measurements are conveniant so one can compare "apples to apples", but should not be a necessity

I have looked into log loads last year a little bit, but never purchased any, this year I probably end up getting a triaxle load (approx 7 full cords) , normally around 100+$ per full cord in my area

7 full cords is 21 16 inch face cords, that is decent.

correct approx 21 face cords, that'll probably heat my house for about 2 winters... the prices I was finding last winter were 100$/cord some were a little higher when purchased by the triaxle log truck... Not sure how much the higher fuel costs will affect the prices this year....

Where in canada are you located lobo?

Butch(OH) said:

Ohio must be out there by itself in the weights and measures. Never heard of "rick" being defined in any regulation. Doubt if even "face cord" is anywhere else.

Harry K

Well I might have to go read the regs. I dont sell wood, from memory the paper when they busted about a dozen sellers here said face cords and ricks also.

If I recall correctly that law stated that it would be sold using a standard cord as a measurement.A "face Cord" also is refered to as a "rick" in some areas ,would be considered 1/3 of a cord.The slab wood thing,also is in affect.Most ads do not state" firewood" but rather slab wood ,by the truck load.Go figure :rolleyes:
Take it for a fact,we have got some real dumb laws in the buckeye state.

LOBO I sent you a message but it came back , give me another email address or PM

In Pa. the law states that firewood be sold in measurable quantity. (ex. cord,ton) In my area a 20-22 ton tri-axel load sells for around $500.00. If you get it cut split and delivered it's about $150 a cord.

Dusty, how many cords would you get out of that $500 load?

Next question: Anybody know who I can contact to buy a load in Virginia?

dustydog72 said:
In Pa. the law states that firewood be sold in measurable quantity. (ex. cord,ton) In my area a 20-22 ton tri-axel load sells for around $500.00. If you get it cut split and delivered it's about $150 a cord.

DD are you saying that a 16 inch x 4 foot x 8 foot face cord is $150.00 in yankee green backs or are you saying a 4 foot x 4 foot x 8 foot blocked in to 16 inch pieces is $150.00

Okay, so that's a savings of $250. So the question is, does it make sense to buck & split 5 cords for $250?

Hmmm.... Might depend on the wood. I've got someone who will deliver some nice oak for $150 per cord. I've stacked it carefully, too, and it's an honest cord. I'd rather do that, than to buck & split 5 cords of pine to save $250.

Last edited:
BlueRidgeMark said:
Okay, so that's a savings of $250. So the question is, does it make sense to buck & split 5 cords for $250?

Hmmm.... Might depend on the wood. I've got someone who will deliver some nice oak for $150 per cord. I've stacked it carefully, too, and it's an honest cord. I'd rather do that, than to buck & split 5 cords of pine to save $250.

It all depends on the size of your stove and door opening, I do not split my rounds below 9- 10 inches as they fit in the door and are easy enough for the old gal and I to lay on the bed of coals. These rounds also help regulate the heat level as they take longer to ignite and because they are round, burn slower and last longer than split blocks. they are great for overnight burning and for the super cold days of which we get at least 25 -30 days of here in January and February. Buy trucks load of 40-45 foot hardwood tree lengths of 3 to 18 inch diameter wood, split everything over 9-10 inches and everything below stays in their natural rounds.

Ah, life is nice ! :) :)

ehp said:
LOBO I sent you a message but it came back , give me another email address or PM

Ed, sent you a reply e-mail.
However as of tomorrow 8:30 am I will be away for a couple of days.
Regards,

Lobo said:
What are you purchasing for or selling for a trailer load of hard woods trees/logs to buck in to fire wood in your area.

Probably not what your looking for, but I can get slab wood from the Amish saw mill for $20 a cord, hardwood. $5 for softwood. The hardwood is typically red and white oak, and the softwood is typically ash and poplar, with some pine.

In Florida they must have better things to do...unless there is some obscure law I know nothing about. I just sell honest chords and half chords(because it's tradition) but since I cut my own and have free supply I can sell it cheap. I sell $75 full chord, 45 1/2 chord. Most people only want the 1/2 once they know how much a whole is. Most people it might take 2 or 3 cold winters to burn a full chord here! By which time teh termites have taken their toll if the wood isn't stacked and stored properly

Back