Fire wood on trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lobo said:
It all depends on the size of your stove and door opening, I do not split my rounds below 9- 10 inches as they fit in the door and are easy enough for the old gal and I to lay on the bed of coals. These rounds also help regulate the heat level as they take longer to ignite and because they are round, burn slower and last longer than split blocks. they are great for overnight burning and for the super cold days of which we get at least 25 -30 days of here in January and February. Buy trucks load of 40-45 foot hardwood tree lengths of 3 to 18 inch diameter wood, split everything over 9-10 inches and everything below stays in their natural rounds.

Yep, the only problem with the split oak I mentioned is that it's all too small. Great for starting up, and for a small fire to knock off the chill, but I need to lay in some heavier stuff for the real winter.

Of course, from YOUR perspective, I suppose you don't think we HAVE a real winter here! :D

neverenough said:
Probably not what your looking for, but I can get slab wood from the Amish saw mill for $20 a cord, hardwood. $5 for softwood. The hardwood is typically red and white oak, and the softwood is typically ash and poplar, with some pine.

While we're at it, can someone define "slab wood" for the rookie here? And where might I look for it? At $20 a cord, I'll take it! I don't care if it looks like "firewood", as long as it burns reasonably cleanly. Hey, I'll even take old pallets if I can get them for free.

It's true that I've got more money than sense, but the fact remains, I don't have much money! :D

slab wood are the left over exterior cuts from a saw milling operation. The first couple of cuts on the face of a log will yield slab wood.

BlueRidgeMark said:
While we're at it, can someone define "slab wood" for the rookie here? And where might I look for it? At $20 a cord, I'll take it! I don't care if it looks like "firewood", as long as it burns reasonably cleanly. Hey, I'll even take old pallets if I can get them for free.

It's true that I've got more money than sense, but the fact remains, I don't have much money! :D

Newfie pretty much explained it. It's the outsides of the log as the saw is "squaring" the log to make the boards, or internal parts that have too large of blemishes (rot, splits, knots that weaken the board too much, ect...) I've broken open bundles and cut it up and most of the wood was 3-6 inches wide, then other bundles I had to split the wood after cutting, it was so big, and some bundles are a mix.

Saw mills are where you'll find it. Not as many around as there used to be. I know of only 2 left within 100 miles of me, one about 18 (where I get my wood), and one farther away, in the same direction. Maybe 65 miles away.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hey, I'll even take old pallets if I can get them for free.

The primary issue with pallets is the fasteners, other than that, pallet wood is usually good, sound and dry hardwood. Because of it`s small size, pallet wood is excellent for Finnish or Russian style heaters that require a short, intense burn. Pallet wood also works well with a soapstone heater that has some thermal mass to continue to radiate heat after the fire is out.

Russ

Yeah, but I don't mind the fasteners. They just sweep out with the ashes. If I'm going to use the ashes for something where the metal would be a problem, I can just sift it through some 1/4" or 1/8" hardware cloth. No biggie.

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen! I figured that was what was meant by slab wood. Now to find a source...

Back