Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the 150 volunteers showed up last Saturday but the winds were extreme on the coast. Friday night a fire erupted in Monterey County along Hwy 1 north of Big Sur. Jumping ahead the cause was determined to be a slash pile left burning, 700 acres in January! On Saturday morning we put out heads together and cancelled the event until the winds subsided. Fortunately the winds died off around noon, the time we were going to stop feeding the fires. We were able to burn one pile as a demo to the Scouts but that's it. Tomorrow I have another small group of young Scouts to demo a pile to and for them to feed. Wish me luck.

I came across this vid the other day and figured I'd share it. Tender gets burned over and some engines narrowly escape. Tender op got burned and the task force had to cover his face in his vehicle. Antelope fire on the Klamath. This is one of the sketchier fire vids I've seen. They were trying to hold the fire to the east (right side) of this forest road. It spotted over to the west side then the wind switched and pushed it northeast back towards the road. That's the flank you see in this vid. They were trying to catch the spot fire - that's what you can hear them talking about right away in the vid. "I think we can catch it" That's just good firefighter humor right there.

I came across this vid the other day and figured I'd share it. Tender gets burned over and some engines narrowly escape. Tender op got burned and the task force had to cover his face in his vehicle. Antelope fire on the Klamath. This is one of the sketchier fire vids I've seen. They were trying to hold the fire to the east (right side) of this forest road. It spotted over to the west side then the wind switched and pushed it northeast back towards the road. That's the flank you see in this vid. They were trying to catch the spot fire - that's what you can hear them talking about right away in the vid. "I think we can catch it" That's just good firefighter humor right there.

I remember hearing some scuttle butt about this that day, the fire ran All the way to a previous burn from July. I'll have to go back and look at firms mapping. Insane video.

Nice cool and slow fires in those pine forests, very civilised! They'd all be dead in a big aussie Eucalyptus forest fire storm... And then there would be a big investigation as to why the hell they all got caught out there.

Also

https://www.wildfirelessons.net/Hig...c3d-206f-7a2a-22ab-2ddfa15f79b2&forceDialog=0

Sent from my iPhone using see

HOLY SH!T
You guys do this for a living??
:surprised3::bowdown:

Went to the Shasta county air quality management district site and it said no burn day, call both numbers listed and one says it is a burn day but the other says it's not.

Ya it’s been pretty windy today and things are getting dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More Klamath fun!

I used this in a 130 course a few years back. An old jumper in the room said "holy fvck that spot doesn't look survivable" or something to that effect. Helped me drive home the point of being leery about what is and what isn't a safety zone.

I've never been in a situation like either of these vids. I've been on plenty of fires with behavior similar to this and have been in some sketchy stuff - mostly aviation related. I'll be the first to admit when that engine went off road in that first vid I might have sh1t my pants. Those guys handled it well.

More Klamath fun!

I used this in a 130 course a few years back. An old jumper in the room said "holy fvck that spot doesn't look survivable" or something to that effect. Helped me drive home the point of being leery about what is and what isn't a safety zone.

I've never been in a situation like either of these vids. I've been on plenty of fires with behavior similar to this and have been in some sketchy stuff - mostly aviation related. I'll be the first to admit when that engine went off road in that first vid I might have sh1t my pants. Those guys handled it well.

I was on that fire as a Medic. Unfortunate, classic T-Cell outflow caused that and …

303f7c2910ba2c84885935a2d05ea279.jpg

Here is a photo of it from Hwy 97 making access for aid. I transported them to Yreka Hospital after for a well check. A very talkative, humble and somber drive at times . And the longest return drive back to camp at 0400
Great guys and Luckily great outcome and a great lessons learned produced from it

Sent from my iPhone using see

Latest posts

Back