Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Big Meadows too.

This is the Kennedy meadow I was thinking of
36°46.295' N, 118°49.928' W on the S-SE side of it

What 4x trails do you help maintain ? I only went to the end of the 180 only for two shifts, lotta boulders and trees came down. Then over to McKensie ridge area above the helipad up to Deliah lookout ( black flies were so nasty, did radio briefing from inside vehicles)
When fire came up out of Converse Basin over McKensie Ridge
47797a11a55ec6de5a05ce19bcbb1b06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using see

Some of you may have seen the news reports of the Home Depot burning in San Jose. My folks live about 3 miles down wind of it and my dad showed me a piece of what looked to be tar paper in the form of a giant ember about 10 inches by 5 inches in size. They're lucky that fire wasn't during summer or there would have been a lot more fires between the store and my folks' house.

Some of you may have seen the news reports of the Home Depot burning in San Jose. My folks live about 3 miles down wind of it and my dad showed me a piece of what looked to be tar paper in the form of a giant ember about 10 inches by 5 inches in size. They're lucky that fire wasn't during summer or there would have been a lot more fires between the store and my folks' house.
Going to be interesting to see the cause of the fire and why the sprinkler system failed to halt the spread of this fire.

Charlie I've been through some of this ground the Cooks Peak fire has burned. In 2007 and 2010 Cody and I went on treks at Philmont Scout Ranch. One of the cabins that burned, Zastro, had a large axe collection that I absolutely drooled over. BTW '07 was a 65 mile trek and '10 we did over 80 miles. (Serious blisters in 2010.)

Charlie I've been through some of this ground the Cooks Peak fire has burned. In 2007 and 2010 Cody and I went on treks at Philmont Scout Ranch. One of the cabins that burned, Zastro, had a large axe collection that I absolutely drooled over. BTW '07 was a 65 mile trek and '10 we did over 80 miles. (Serious blisters in 2010.)
I can't even imagine hikes like that, even before my hips betrayed me.
I assume the ax handles all burned but don't know enough metallurgy to know if the heat ruined the ax heads. In any case, the loss of fine tools is regrettable.

Fire training and having a McCloud saved my bacon today, burned needle piles and bark everything burned down....or so I thought so I went in for a break after about 10 minutes I heard some popping it crossed my line and ran through the chip pile and was headed for the heavier pine needles that would have made it really fun.

IMG_20220506_173432055.jpgIMG_20220506_173456128_HDR.jpg

Back