Fireblight Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshanefreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't need a breakdown on the bacteria, the symptoms, the control, or the preventative measures. I just am wondering if anyone out there can answer the following question:

If the bacterium infects blossoms and leaves near the growing tips, exudate and therefore attracts insects or other vectors, enters the host through natural openings and through wounds, and spreads intercellularly and may continue throughout growing season, then does the causal agent have a prime time for dispersal.

* Does the bacteria only spread during a certain time, say perhaps around blossom break?

* Or does the bacteria have the ability to be spread anytime throughout the entire growing season?

The reason that I'm asking is I began wondering about how vulnerable a person makes a cotoneaster hedge by pruning/shearing during the growing season. There are countless wounds that could allow for bacterial entry........thus if there is a prime time for infestation, when is it and when is the safest time to prune/shear?

Just curious!

Now people...........I never thought that a question on this site would go days without a single answer.

Someone out there has to know something about what I'm talking about............even if it is just a hunch or a speculation!

Thanks

Okay. Hunch/speculation= Formerly I was much more concerned about infection in pruning wounds during the growing season. Based upon the reports of Dr. Shigo's research it SEEMS that the blossom period is the critical time. If they were unabe to deliberately transfer the disease with 100%cultures on pruning tools used on apples during the growing season it seems unlikely to be airborne. That said, I still disinfect my tools and intend to maintain that practice until there is sufficient science to convince me it is a waste of time.

Fireblight

I'll give it a shot. I believe the most critical time is mid blossom. The bacteria is not airborne in the sense you think,but is carried by bees and other insects. I think it is still a good practice to disinfect all tools used.

Latest posts

Back