fireplace insert install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick and Janet

I am sorry.....Rick and Janet work at Appalachian Stove Company in NC. They have been of great help to me with parts and any questions.

I have not run my heat but once this year, and that was to make sure it worked...LOL

If you loosing your heat to the upper level. Why don't you install a heat activated ceiling fan that turns on when the temp at the fan reaches a certian temp?

I am sorry.....Rick and Janet work at Appalachian Stove Company in NC. They have been of great help to me with parts and any questions.

I have not run my heat but once this year, and that was to make sure it worked...LOL

If you loosing your heat to the upper level. Why don't you install a heat activated ceiling fan that turns on when the temp at the fan reaches a certian temp?

I have ceilings fans on all the time. There is one above the fireplace area and another in the loft. Was told to keep them on to help with the circulation.

Any chance you have a phone # for Janet or Rick personally? I appreciate your help with my insert situation.

Shipper

Just because pros did the install you need to make sure it was done right just the same, I used one of the best pro guys near me because of there good reputation, its funny that these guys will take your money on the install but you can never get them to return a phone call for anything after they leave, took me SEVEN months to get replacement fire bricks I was told would take a week, when I had my chimney guy sweep it after two and a half seasons he told me that they installed the top cap upside down and did not install a storm collar on the flex pipe at the top, so much for "PROS" doing the install, I should have gone up on the roof before I wrote them a check, my chimney guy called the guys who put it in and they were going to call me back later that day and I have since called them twice and still no return call. This happened Dec 19th. LOL now when some one is looking for an installer these guys get a bad report from me and I send people the other way!! I thought these guys were great because when they were getting a $2700 check to install the stove they were right out and did what I thought was a great job. The job they did inside was so nice I never thought about looking at the roof, next time I will check I learned a lseeon this time. Even when I would check the liner for creosote build up I never knew what I was looking at up there just check the pipe and climb down, looked good to me, but after my chimney guy explained what I was looking at reading all the stuff on these boards its so easy to educate yourself, So much for the Pros!! Make sure you get what your paying for and get a liner that goes from your insert all the way up the chimney they are easy to clean and give you the best possible draft, you'll be glad you did good luck!

Just because pros did the install you need to make sure it was done right just the same, I used one of the best pro guys near me because of there good reputation, its funny that these guys will take your money on the install but you can never get them to return a phone call for anything after they leave, took me SEVEN months to get replacement fire bricks I was told would take a week, when I had my chimney guy sweep it after two and a half seasons he told me that they installed the top cap upside down and did not install a storm collar on the flex pipe at the top, so much for "PROS" doing the install, I should have gone up on the roof before I wrote them a check, my chimney guy called the guys who put it in and they were going to call me back later that day and I have since called them twice and still no return call. This happened Dec 19th. LOL now when some one is looking for an installer these guys get a bad report from me and I send people the other way!! I thought these guys were great because when they were getting a $2700 check to install the stove they were right out and did what I thought was a great job. The job they did inside was so nice I never thought about looking at the roof, next time I will check I learned a lseeon this time. Even when I would check the liner for creosote build up I never knew what I was looking at up there just check the pipe and climb down, looked good to me, but after my chimney guy explained what I was looking at reading all the stuff on these boards its so easy to educate yourself, So much for the Pros!! Make sure you get what your paying for and get a liner that goes from your insert all the way up the chimney they are easy to clean and give you the best possible draft, you'll be glad you did good luck!

I feel bad for you if you paid someone $2700 just to install a stove. I paid my sweep $480 for install and that included a new stainless steel cap and the stainless steel hook up from my stove up thru the chimney and he worked like hell getting the damper connection on the old chimney to stay open. I mean he had to cut a rivet or bolt on the flu damper and then put the liner up into my chimney.

I think I will call my sweep tomorrow and see what he has to say about not getting the heat I think I should be getting.

Shipper

I feel bad for you if you paid someone $2700 just to install a stove. I paid my sweep $480 for install and that included a new stainless steel cap and the stainless steel hook up from my stove up thru the chimney and he worked like hell getting the damper connection on the old chimney to stay open. I mean he had to cut a rivet or bolt on the flu damper and then put the liner up into my chimney.

I think I will call my sweep tomorrow and see what he has to say about not getting the heat I think I should be getting.

Shipper
I was reading that your sweep said something about your chimney being tall and good draft/draw. Personally, I would guess that he doesn't know his Bass from a hole in the ground. The reason you are not getting heat from your insert is because it is NOT installed properly. I am sorry to say this, but its true. Your sweep is a Hack!

I would ask your "Sweep" why he did not install it properly and not "Just to Code". "Code" does not always mean "Proper". You need to get your money back from him and call someone that will do the job "proper".

Shipper

$2700 was a good deal considering when I shopped around the stove alone was close to $1500 not to mention a 6" stainless liner and a stainless chimney cap large enough to cover two flues, installed, let me know where I can find all that for $480 :laugh: I'll take two!

$2700 was a good deal considering when I shopped around the stove alone was close to $1500 not to mention a 6" stainless liner and a stainless chimney cap large enough to cover two flues, installed, let me know where I can find all that for $480 :laugh: I'll take two!

Am I missing something? $1500 + $480 = $1980. GLM, fill in the $720 blank! The labor was $720?

GLM, you there?:popcorn:

You think he fainted when you asked him about the $720 for labor? :confused:

I may not have had the proper install as someone has pointed out, but the sweep is one great guy. He only charged me $100 for labor after his mark up on the items he sold me.

And he returned my call when I called him about this board. We will see when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Shipper

You think he fainted when you asked him about the $720 for labor? :confused:

I'm not sure, but I am trying to get an idea what installers charge. I would like to se the itemization of the $2700 he spent. If it's going to cost me that much I'll have to wait a bit.

I'm not sure, but I am trying to get an idea what installers charge. I would like to se the itemization of the $2700 he spent. If it's going to cost me that much I'll have to wait a bit.

I cant tell you what his break down was, but I know its going to cost you at least $1000 for a good insert or more. I got mine off ebay from a company that had mine as a floor model. It cost me $950 plus driving 4 hours there and back to pick it up.

So my total was $950, plus $480 for labor and flu and chimney cap. Plus the $40 I paid a local worker for helping me and the sweep to put it in my fireplace. They are not lite.

Hope this helps some.

Shipper

My Buck 91 has a big blower and firebox.
We heat about 2700 SF.

Back