firewood and knee replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting a total knee replacement in a few months. Just wondering if I'll be able to continue working in my woods.
I generally burn about 8 cords a year, cut my own trees in my own woods. I do my own splitting too.
I've heard that there is a maximum lifting amount. My terrain is rocky and isn't flat. I'd figure I'd ask here because the general public just doesn't understand what its like to work in the woods.

I don't know that I will be able to offer to much help. My mother has had a total knee replacement and is able to do everything she did before. Granted she wasn't the "outdoors" type. Doing the physical therapy after the surgery is a good way to get back to normal faster. She did it religiously and was back up and around in less than three weeks.

The dealer for Central Boilers around here has also has had both hips replaced and still cuts and burns. So it can be done. Probably has more to do with being careful and not overdoing it for a while. I cut and split mine own as well and almost never end up with knee or leg pain out of it. Then again I am a young sprout.

All of that to say that I expect you will be fine. You may work a little slower and with more caution, but in the end that is why you are having your knee replaced right.... so you can work! :) Just my $0.02

I know an ex football linebacker type who had a knee replacement about five years ago. He did the exercises and therapy that was prescribed, and he was back to normal much faster than I would have imagined. He works it hard on the farm and in the woods. He is doing perfectly fine. I bet you will be as well.

Good Luck!

Bob

This is all good to hear. I'm worried about wearing out the replacement and getting a revision. When a knee replacement goes bad and "wears out" that means that it loosens.
The revision is a tough surgury because there is less bone to work with the second time around.
I'm only 58 years old and the hate restrictions a new knee will put on me.
People say with a replacement you can ball room dance, play golf, I don't do neither. That's why I'm bringing this topic up here on this forum. I need to cut wood and climb my tree stands.

I know a 68 yr old with both knee replacements. He still does some carpentry work, camps, has a fishing boat, and goes fishing quite often. It only bothers him if he has to sit for long periods. But that's normal for most of us old folks.:msp_wink:

I have not had knee replacement but I know 5 people that did. Two didn't want to work through the pain and effort of full therapy and exercize and they never fully recovered.
The other three did all their therapy and exercize and then some. They are back to doing everything.

I had both hips replaced in my late 60s. Did the therapy excercises religiously and more reps oftener than they prescribed. I was back cutting in 2 months but a bit carefully. After 4 months I didn't even know anything had been done. By the end of summer I was boosting 150 pound rounds onto the truck.

Hips, however, are a bit different than knees from what I heard. I was given no restrictions on the hips, if they tell you there are restrictions be sure to follow them

I also know people with knee jobs. The ones with problems are the ones who didn't follow the theripists orders by refusing to do the excercises.

It is amazing what one can do with handicaps, one learns to compensate, work smarter rather than harder, etc.

Harry K

I had both knees replaced at 35 yrs old. Best thing I ever did. I'm 52 now and need to have them re-done. Yeah, I wore them out. But, what would I have been able to do for the last 18 years if I wouldn't have had them replaced? NOTHING! Get it done and do the therapy and you will be much better than you are now.

Sorry to hear about the wear-out Outlander. Hopefully the revisions will out-last you.
Did the knee replacements actually wear down? Or did their connections loosen?

Knees

Get everything done before you have surgery. I had both of mine done at 64 years old and I did all the rehab It took about six months after to be good as new. The operation is worth it, you know right away the arthritis is gone. One night after my operation I was laying down and it dawned on my I did'nt feel my knees. Good luck.

I'm 72 and had both knees done. One last year in Jan. and the other one in Oct.I still cut fire wood but not as much as you are talking about. One tihing to remember while the joints are new, the drive train or muscles are still the same age. But my advice to you is yeah get it done.

Latest posts

Back