Firewood Bundler? Build - Pics Added

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gear motor does essentially what you are trying to do with two belts, four pullets, and a separate drive shaft to reduce the final RPM and supply the required torque. Believe me, they work. Many are far more compact than the one shown above by canto0.

Takes a bit of torque to turn the little bundle of wood.
View attachment 495130

I beg to differ sir. With your wrapping arm counter weighted it actually takes very little torque for it to turn to wrap the bundle. I have a hand crank model and I could turn that thing all day long and not get tired. Also with the reduction in a reducer you can run a very small HP motor and still have a ton of torque on the output side of the reducer. Get yourself a little Boston reducer, a Lovejoy coupler and stick a 1/2 HP motor on it and it will wrap all the wood you want to bundle.

Dogout, I was meaning the little motors that surplus places sell. Princess Auto here sells motors that look like car power window openers that are gearhead motors. Usually 12 volt, I don't think they would work for the bundlers. The one that I made was a hand crank type, it took a bit to start it to turn but once moving the momentum made it easy. I've never seen a wrapper with a 12 volt motor so I assumed that one would not work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversible-...r-12vdc-50-RPM-or-35-RPM-DC-12v-/201153395787

You can also find in-line gear motors. I paid about $100 for mine six years ago and should have bought several at that price. Look for continuous duty and a 1/2" output shaft. It is amazing the number of output RPM speeds that are available.

So, I guess I have to ask these two questions to all readers of this thread: (1) do you pack 8 to 9 logs to the bundle? and (2) do your customers ever complain that your bundles are too small?

Firewood bundles that are too small is all that I hear in this neck of the words from buyers of commercial bundles sold at convenience stores. And, that's primarily why they like to buy mine and get their money's worth. People do not like paying a dollar a log and for small logs to boot.

Yeah, around 8-9, a mix of a few smaller pieces to start the fire and the rest normal stove sized. Nothing real big though.

The bundles are a good solid cubic foot plus, a cord of wood yields about 100 bundles.

I have been doing spruce, thinking of going to a mix though concerned on the weight. (Hard to carry for customers).

I was picturing something with a long skinny rod instead of the rim, like this. but at this point the rim is prolly your best option.

I gotta say I like his removable pan design to put the wood in, then place all the pieces at once it in the machine.

The gear motor does essentially what you are trying to do with two belts, four pullets, and a separate drive shaft to reduce the final RPM and supply the required torque. Believe me, they work. Many are far more compact than the one shown above by canto0.

Yup, gear motor than belt to the arm is what my setup has.

I'm wondering what happened to the op in this thread? I was thinking that the motor would still be too fast. I like the idea of a gear motor. but after building the machine and if it was too fast I would try the pwm.

I have been doing spruce, thinking of going to a mix though concerned on the weight. (Hard to carry for customers).

I come down on the opposite side of the weight issue. All of 1 cu ft in my bundles of good hard wood and have the weight to prove it. I am not catering to the weak or wimpy, if you can't lift it don't buy it. I want people to know that if you are willing to pay $5.00 for a bundle of my firewood you will get a hefty bundle of wood. I also don't put a handle on them, again if you can't bend over and grab them with two hands go find some ones cheaper lighter version with a handle. I don't sell these for a living so I guess I can be much more selective on who my customers are. Finally this is the first year that I have sold the bundles and I have already sold 20 of these and we are not even into camping season.

I'm wondering what happened to the op in this thread? I was thinking that the motor would still be too fast. I like the idea of a gear motor. but after building the machine and if it was too fast I would try the pwm.

Been busy, got it together last night. You are right, it sure swings. I may need to put a smaller pulley on motor. Had a hard time trying to find rolls 14-16". I had motor so it was trying to keep it on the cheap. Broke my MIG welded and had to haul out Gramps old stick and tacked the front support together. Shoud have it finished up this weekend.

Well, finished it up tonight. I may need to tweak pulley alignment. It works, rather fast.

20160411_220308_zpsdtvosu9t.jpg
20160411_220327_zpso7fyivq6.jpg

I did buy some 16" rolls, but they showed up as 18"...We cut one in half with a miter saw. But, the ends are a little melted, not bad but, enough to catch on itself. I also have to get a spring to keep tension on the threaded handle. I think I spent more time modifying the handheld dispenser than I could have made from scratch. I do have to add counter weight yet, but would like a roll to get weight pretty close.

The front vertical supports are at 18" now, but will pull off to be 12" tall. Just a round rod and it is 1/2" conduit on top.

The cheapo foot pedal works good so far. It is mounted on a diamond plate and welded on both sides. It should protect the plastic from getting broke as there is only 2 small bolts to secure.

pretty kewl project and fun to watch it progress. here is some 15" rolls of plastic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Stretc...hash=item259700be8e:m:muz802Dj3B6zc6OEcj7WOvg

before you switch pulleys you could try to wire in a pwm, I got one like this shipped to my door for under $6. I wired it up in less than 2 minutes. I have it wired up to a motor I plan to use for a bundler if/when I build one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000W-50-22...524895?hash=item418f2647df:g:hscAAOSwa39UwxYo

I asked the motor guy I brought it to to get bearings oiled and fix worn fan and he said this has a capacitor and can't be turned slower. Thanks for the info tho. Will check into the rolls too.

I asked the motor guy I brought it to to get bearings oiled and fix worn fan and he said this has a capacitor and can't be turned slower. Thanks for the info tho. Will check into the rolls too.
kewl!!! thanx for the updated pics!!! looks like a fun project!! :)

Being a woodsmith, I have to wonder whether I could make one of these wrapping machines out of hardwood, such as oak. I already have a continuous-duty 30 RPM gear motor that's strong enough (110 in-lb of torque). Looks like a great way to spend a few rainy days--designing and then building. I like the idea of spinning the plastic around with the wood logs remaining fixed.

Is the rod holding the roll sturdy enough? Mine is about 1.5" diameter. Otherwise looks well built!

If it's running a little fast, you could buy a slightly smaller drive pulley for the motor and then slide the mount sideways to maintain belt tension.

In addition, I've since talked to a few who have bought commercial wrappers and some have actually added a slight drag brake on the plastic drum that rotates in order to tighten the wrapping as it goes around. Not sure if the one shown here does this, but it's an idea. Most have paid well over $1,000 for theirs.

Latest posts

Back