Firewood by the bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
IMG_3060.JPG I have a nice pile of firewood growing and was trying to do some math as per selling it by the bucket scoop and wanted to get my math checked. My bucket is 1.25 cubic yards...I figure I want $180/cord approx. So would that equal out to around $50/bucket?

If it was stacked in the bucket not scooped

Buckets on backhoes and track hoes are rated at heaping full
Running off all 4 sides
Not sure on front end buckets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was stacked in the bucket not scooped

Buckets on backhoes and track hoes are rated at heaping full
Running off all 4 sides
Not sure on front end buckets

The bucket on this Cat backhoe I'm told (by Cat Rep) is rated at struck (water)

Can't get there from here. Firewood splits just aren't very consistent by the bucketful. Stuff like topsoil and mulch yeah sure but not splits. People that I know that load using buckets measure what they are filling and put enough buckets in to fill that. Even then it can be a crap shoot. Then add in different lengths of firewood (12", 16", 20", 24" etc) and it's even worse.

I think I did it 3 time and all measurements were different
Most were less than I figured
I thought it would be a great thing to do
But even smaller splits don't fill the corners consistently

Yea I figured..my problem is I don't have the time. These are all pallet cant cutoffs so theres a bunch of
little stuff as well as 16" stuff sometimes if we get a junk cant we'll buck the whole thing into firewood at 16" and other times we might cut say 12" off one side to get a good 54" cant and then maybe have a 8" drop on the other side. It's all hardwood and it baked out in the sun and every so often I turn the pile inside out and work it like a baker works dough to get it fully seasoned. The bulk of it will heat my crew and my house this winter and if I can sell some great if not no sweat off my back. But I don't really have time to measure and stack I'm far too busy sawing lumber so I just wanted to get an idea what to charge per scoop. There's sawdust, hay, clay and possibly rattlesnakes all mixed in lol. If anyone whines about it I'll just charge extra lol

Best thing is to sell it by the bucket load, not by the cord.

We sell cottonwood by the truckload. It's loose filled, right off the conveyor. People ask how much is in the truck and I tell them roughly 1.5-1.75 cords, but it is what it is, no guarantee on amount.

I also sell it for more by the cord (stacked in the truck)

I think I did it 3 time and all measurements were different
Most were less than I figured
I thought it would be a great thing to do
But even smaller splits don't fill the corners consistently

Average it out. Its never going to be the same everytime. Take your 3 measurements and average. But average on the low side so you keep your customers coming back.

Here's what I would do.

Average out a few buckets and then stack a display of the volume of your averaged buckets so you can show your customers what it looks like. Most folks won't be able to visualize the volume of a bucket load of material.

You're cat rep is correct. Bucket volumes only account for the internal volume of the bucket. Some will have a struck and heaped number, but not all. Keep this in mind when you average your static and also when you load your customers.

Sent from a field

We sell it by the trailer load ... i dont know anyone who stuffs around working it out per cord

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Back