Firewood chainsaw to a complement Stihl 461?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I now own a "big" (for me) saw for larger trees. Now for a lighter saw for everyday needs.

I'm thinking about an MS241CM with a 14" bar but, I can get an MS362CM with a 20" bar for similar money. A lot of the firewood is in the 12" range so, I'm thinking the MS241CM while a nimble lightweight saw might be too small. Is the MS362CM a good choice? An MS261 costs more money than both of other saws.

Also, I am limiting myself to Stihl products due to the fact I have an awesome dealer ~30 minutes away. Great service if I need it, awesome salesman, good pricing too. Too hard for other brands to compete against.

A little background:
I recently moved to 40 acres in East Texas that has a lot of deferred maintenance. There are a lot of downed trees and big limbs, plenty of feral hogs, and tons of gophers. I'm heating my house with left behind firewood that will be gone in ~2 weeks so, I can't procrastinate too much after this cold spell which has used up most of the firewood. Initial firewood runs should be relatively easy but, my experience level is very low so I'm being cautious with purchases and what I cut.

The MS461 will be used exclusively for really big wood.

TIA,
Sid

A 362 c-m is more expensive than a 261 c-m , already havin the 461 you have id get the 261 c-m personally.

On the flipside a 241 is a pretty sweet saw..but id still go 261 in your shoes..it will cut 90% of your firewood..a 461 isnt a good idea with limited expierence .

Yeah, I am a little surprised if you can buy a 362 cheaper than a 261, but the 261 would be my choice. That's what I have paired with my 046.

You didn't mention what bar length you have on the 461, but 20" or greater would make sense. I'd limit the 261 to a 16" bar if you are going to run it stock. It's a little screamer with that combination.

The 362 is a bit close to the 461 in displacement, and I think you would not really use it.

261 hands down. A 241 is a sweeeeet little saw but to me it is a professional grade limbing saw, the 261 is a professional grade firewood saw. I love my 241 for green wood but much prefer the 261 in dead crap.

I have a ported MS460 and run 28 or 20" bars.

The ported 346xp gets a 16" and compliments the 460 well.

460 with the 28" and get a 362c and port it and wear 20" bar. I personally like a 24" bar on my 362 for the reach

Thanks everyone!

My MS461 has the 25" bar and is a great saw but, it's a little heavy for general firewood use. It is also bit much right now for me with anything but specialized cuts in big stuff. With more experience it might be a good choice for high productivity firewood cuts but, right now my skill level suggests I need to work up to that. I tried a friend's 026 with a 16" bar and it seemed a little small with it's 16" bar and tired engine.

The MS362CM right now at my preferred dealer is a great deal with its 20" bar. The 241CM and 261CM both look like good saws but, they are low sales volume items and are not priced as aggressively. What is holding me back is the weight and apparent duplication with my MS461.

460 with the 28" and get a 362c and port it and wear 20" bar. I personally like a 24" bar on my 362 for the reach

Too close together keith

Id go 40/60 or 50/70 ish

7 more drivers and 3 or 4 cutters between 24 and 28 " on stihl , and 28 has a light option that has the weight of 20" not to mention reach..i see no reason for 24

I have the 18" on my 241c with pm yellow link, putting my Sugi 24" on my ported 362c, and ordered a 28" es light yesterday for my 461 as the 24" bar wasnt cutting it for some of the wood I have been cutting

I have the 18" on my 241c with pm yellow link, putting my Sugi 24" on my ported 362c, and ordered a 28" es light yesterday for my 461 as the 24" bar wasnt cutting it for some of the wood I have been cutting[/QUOTE

Im gonna give a 362 R c-m a spin..i have one unfueled headin to brad tomorrow..:)..then i can join the mustang gang..( sorry if your readin mike ) :laugh:

Its a smooth saw Ryan! U will like it for a light duty saw. It will almost cut trees by itself its so bad!!!o_O:ices_rofl:

Its got big shoes to fill to pass a 2260 buddy , ill see..i just wanted to try all the 60cc saws ported to get an sincere opinion , i dont really need a 60cc saw..but im being open minded:)...actually not near as many as i have..i have 3 to work with that look like dog balls but run good..all the others are for fun and always for sale :D

My 362 is my favorite saw but when im ready to get serious and not play around out comes the ported 461. I rarely cut over 30" wood and would like a 2nd big saw but dont know about holding up the xtra weight of a 660? Dont really think the 660 will offer much advantage over a 461 in 25 to 28 inch wood?

Back