firewood cutting rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually buck the rounds to length (sometimes noodle cutting in half) before I load up the truck or trailer. On occasion, I have long logs delivered by a logger in 8' to 9' lengths. Whenever that happens I use this low lying cross buck that I made in my shop. Here's the original load of logs as delivered:
CrossBuck01.jpg
Time to buck into five lengths:
CrossBuck02.jpg
Knock off the ends:
CrossBuck03.jpg Finish it off:
CrossBuck04.jpg
Now carry these to the splitter with a log hook. Split and stack. Once split, sell immediately if dry.

Heck I walk 1-2 miles every day and throw in 18 holes which is another 6.5 miles I get a fair amount of walking in. I never get a day off either, we play golf every day.

Oh the humanity....

As far as "doing it the hard way". I disagree, this is how I get my wood:

I knew you would, and that's the point.

Have you ever had anyone comment on your operation with something like...

"call me obtuse, but I just don't get it".....

The wood is cut on the trailer and then rolled out the back or side. Then stacked on pallets until time to split. Then the splitter is moved to within a few feet of the rounds, the wood is split and placed directly back in the stacks. Seems pretty efficient to me.

Seems inefficient to me. You're handling the wood about 50% more than I do.... I load logs onto a trailer at work, bring them home and stack them on HDPE pipes where they sit until they get processed. My hands don't actually touch the wood until the logs are on the table and ready to be cut to length. Rolled off the bucking table onto a staging table right next to the splitter. Then they are rolled onto the splitter table and splits are tossed onto a 5x10 utility trailer where the kids take over and stack along the property line. I never have to pick up a piece of wood larger than a 3" x 3" split.

Thats called working smarter, not harder.

See, neither is wrong... And I wouldn't want anyone to call me obtuse because I don't do it the way you do. You seem bent on "not getting it" when no one is trying to make you do it any other way than you currently are.

I sort of envy all of you with equipment, but I'm like a lot here and only have saws, hand tools and a splitter. Cutting on the ground and then carrying to the truck (or ATV with trailer) is pretty much a fact of life for me. Move it to my splitting area, get it split and then stacked. Works for my 3-4 cords a year. I'd love to have some of the equipment but can't begin to justify it.

[QUOTE="CaseyForrest,

Seems inefficient to me. You're handling the wood about 50% more than I do.... I load logs onto a trailer at work, bring them home and stack them on HDPE pipes where they sit until they get processed. My hands don't actually touch the wood until the logs are on the table and ready to be cut to length. Rolled off the bucking table onto a staging table right next to the splitter. Then they are rolled onto the splitter table and splits are tossed onto a 5x10 utility trailer where the kids take over and stack along the property line. I never have to pick up a piece of wood larger than a 3" x 3" split.
.[/QUOTE]
Do the HDPE hold up decent to the logs to
Keep off the ground?

Latest posts

Back