Firewood Dolly Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge&wedge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a dolly to move splits across the driveway from barn to house, and then up 3 stairs to be stacked outside the front door for easy access.

I’ve tried searching... too many options and not enough feedback. I’m looking for something to move 200-300 pounds at a time. Any thoughts or ideas??? Yes,
I can drag 300 pounds up a few steps.

Looking for recommendations on a dolly to move splits across the driveway from barn to house, and then up 3 stairs to be stacked outside the front door for easy access.

I’ve tried searching... too many options and not enough feedback. I’m looking for something to move 200-300 pounds at a time. Any thoughts or ideas??? Yes,
I can drag 300 pounds up a few steps.

Something like this?

https://www.altonladders.co.uk/ladd...ck-trucks/heavy-duty-stair-climber-sack-truck

I bought a smaller one recently and find the stair climbing wheel system absolutely awesome in use.

This looks pretty solid. I don't really need the additional functionality of moving rounds, so I'm wondering if the cost might go down some if I find one that is made more specifically for moving splits. If not, I may have to try and build something similar to this out of what I have on hand. Still looking to buy something new right now though.

You could find one cheaper, but I doubt you'll find one cheaper with big wheels. The cheap ones have tiny wheels that get stuck on a piece of pea stone.

If you really want to save money you could make your own. I once made my own using a regular dolly. I sandwiched two pieces of plywood together with a 1/4"ish gap to slide over the bottom foot plate. Then I attached two uprights made of 2x stock. It worked pretty good, but I changed how I brought my wood in and stopped using it.

Here's another in the same price range as the Split Second one

https://www.amazon.com/Carts-Vermont-Super-Chuck-Firewood/dp/B000Y17O7C

You could try this one. Looks kind of wimpy and top heavy with cheap wheels, but the price is low.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660595_200660595?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Logging > Wood Storage&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=51397

Also, don't overlook the ability to move rounds. That is a nice feature of the SS version.

You could........SS version.

The ability to move rounds would be good for someone who needs it, but I already have that system worked out. I agree with you on the big wheels situation. I may end up going the homemade route because it doesn't look like I'm the only one who can't find what I'm looking for haha. I'm not necessarily concerned about cost; just don't want to pay for features I won't use. I have a $10 dolly at home from Harbor Freight, I might play around with some ideas over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

Hoping once some of the other firewood junkies wake up they might have some other ideas for me as well.

Crossing a yard or driveway, then climbing stairs, are two different types of travelling you might not find one rig to work well with. I'd want big wheels and a cart for the yard, but that won't go up stairs very easy.

Not knowing what the terrain is before your stairs, maybe something like one of these but modded with extra racking added for your wood?

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/600-lb-stair-climbing-hand-truck/A-p8288037e

My first thought though, was a 4 wheel flat topped cart, that you set a sled on. Pile wood in sled, pull the cart to and back it up to the bottom of the steps, then pull the sled off the cart and up the steps - the height of the cart should get you up past the first step before you start pulling the sled up.

I have several carts and this is my favorite. It came from harbor freight and unfortunately they no longer make it.

33D2CE3A-B3E3-4600-A9F8-71475A2494AA.jpeg
There seem to be two critical features to firewood carts. First a low center of gravity makes them easier to use. Second large wheels make them easier to use. This cart design addresses both features.

The Carts Vermont and Strongway carts have the wheels but the center of gravity is a bit high. I have the Carts Vermont version and it is well made but not my favorite. I also have a cart from Home Depot with small wheels and a low CG. It was inexpensive and needed the wheels replaced immediately. The Home Depot cart is ok. It is hard to use in soft ground and the handle is a bit short

If you need to go up a few steps a cart designed like the one in the picture attached to this post is what you want.

Latest posts

Back