Firewood Drying Times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ske-bum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, looking for some input as to how long it will take some White Fir to dry out for firewood. I usually cut standing dead, so this tree is causing me to wonder about drying times.

Now I'm not a big fan of White (piss) Fir, but the tree was removed by my buddy who runs a tree business and is about 10 feet from my wood pile, so it isn't much work. I have given some to the neighbor, but still have a cord or so sitting on the ground.

For reference I live in Tahoe at 6300' summers are hot/warm with average highs around 78 degrees and 15% humitity on average.

Thanks.

My Forestry Guide shows no Piss Fir . You may wish to try looking for the Cursed Maple. :dizzy:

I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago. Your climate and altitude look very similar to ours. Hope this helps.

That depends. There are several things to consider:

1. Was the tree dead when it was cut, if so it will take less time to season than one that was dry.

2. Is your climate humid or arid? A dry windy climate like mine can season all but the hardest of woods in 3-4 months.

3. Are you stacking the wood where it can be baked by lots of sun?

4. Are you stacking the wood where it will be beaten by the predominant winds?

5. How big/small are you splitting your wood. Smaller pieces will season faster than large ones.

6. How long is your fuelwood. Longer pieces will take longer to season properly.

7. Are you stacking off the ground? Ground moisture is not to be underestimated in the process of seasoning wood. Not to mention insects and pests.

8. Do you stack wood close together or loosely. Looser stacking allows more airflow and faster drying.

9. Are your wood stacks properly spaced to allow enough sun, breeze to allow the pieces to dry.

10. Do you pray to the wood God? Hey every little bit helps right?

15% humidity has to dry anything in real short order - Here ours is 90 to 100 percent every night, and for the last 30 days, hardly below 70 during the day. In other words, it just sucks. The wettest June in a long time.

This has been kicked around before. All I know is I've cut standing dead pine/hemlock etc that were dead for years and the juice squirts out when it falls. Then you look at it and 50 per cent of the wood is rotten and the still wet.
Bottom line.. the sooner the better. Will it burn ? Sure.. I've thrown that same wood in my OWB but there's no way its giving the heat it could if it was dry and decent. If you're lucky the barks off. If its not bet on at least part of it being rotten. ( at least here in NE Pa. )

:monkey:

This has been kicked around before. All I know is I've cut standing dead pine/hemlock etc that were dead for years and the juice squirts out when it falls. Then you look at it and 50 per cent of the wood is rotten and the still wet.
Bottom line.. the sooner the better. Will it burn ? Sure.. I've thrown that same wood in my OWB but there's no way its giving the heat it could if it was dry and decent. If you're lucky the barks off. If its not bet on at least part of it being rotten. ( at least here in NE Pa. )

:monkey:

The only way wood cures to to be bucked and maybe split.
Standing dead will be loaded with water and ergo it will rot.
Once wood has been cured it can for the most part last until you need to burn
it.
Wood trees standing dead are like a bunch of tubes full of water standing there.Until you cut it up and allow the water to evaporate that water is not going anywhere and that wood will continue to rot.

it.
Wood trees standing dead are like a bunch of tubes full of water standing there.Until you cut it up and allow the water to evaporate that water is not going anywhere and that wood will continue to rot.

I disagree, I cut a standing dead Tamarack Pine today, that had no water in in it and I could burn today if I needed to. Depends where you live.

As for the drying time on the Fir, 6 months was my ball park guess, but wanted some input.

it.
Not here Standing dead, say a pine with bark falling off or no bark is ready to burn. 25% humidity is high here. I cut a tree last fall that I was looking at for years and finally decided I am going to cut it down a 14'' Lodge poll Pine most of the upper branches&3/4 of the bark gone and looked like a telephone pole. I left it alone because I was not sure I could make it fall where I wanted it to, But it was the best felling job I have ever done. Brought it home split it and burnt it bone dry.
The trees I stay away from are the one that hit the Forrest floor 1 year and the are mush. But most if not all my dead fall and wind trees get caught up and don't hit the Forrest floor.

I disagree, I cut a standing dead Tamarack Pine today, that had no water in in it and I could burn today if I needed to. Depends where you live.

As for the drying time on the Fir, 6 months was my ball park guess, but wanted some input.
I bet it will dry in 3 months! Lake Tahoe that's like 5000 ft above sea level? For me Pine, Spruce & Fir all we have:( takes 9 months to dry if cut green and split right away it will even dry over winter just not as fast. I have cut Poplar that was so heavy and full of water but 6 months later I bet it was 50% lighter and very dry. I weighed a wet round on the bathroom scale it was 11''x17'' and was 45 lb! Don't now what it would weigh dry as I split it right away and burned it 7 to9 months later.

Back