firewood, is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

your answer to firewood

• haul it back to yard and split

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • get rid of it as close to job as possible

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Beg someone to take it!

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
you don't know how tempted i am.

That's CT for ya. We should all just start calling him. Seriously, what a jackarse.

the last guy who posted something along those lines got a reply from me.i told him my isurance just expired but i thought i could still weasel lin a claim if i had to.i could be over as soon as i sobered up. he wasn't happy.i was,and that is all that mattered.

the last guy who posted something along those lines got a reply from me.i told him my isurance just expired but i thought i could still weasel lin a claim if i had to.i could be over as soon as i sobered up. he wasn't happy.i was,and that is all that mattered.

HAHA. What a great idea.

You must have been rained out like we were. Did you get crazy lighting there? It was better than fireworks over here.

i saw a couple flashes.

a lot of thunder booms and on and off rain.i'm just sittin" in the garage putting together a Homelite 550.

i had a job to do in Bloomfield but i called and told him it will be another day.when it was dry and cool,it was dead.now that it's hot and rainy,we're swamped.go figure.

I can make $400.00 while I am fooling with a cord of wood. For me it is a losing deal.

What if firewood is going for $400/cord? Most people are saying its not about the price going up for firewood, that's a given; its whether there'll be enough to meet demand:dizzy: .

where im at homeowners are hanging on to wood, most of my jobs are written with leave wood!! heck, I cant even cut the stuff up without some pickup truck pulling up wanting the wood!!

I love it.......they can have the wood, the more chips in the truck means more trees = more $$$ & the chipper puts it in there!!!

LXT........

Well I can't be convinced anyone is making money on firewood. At best you are covering your cost and putting a little money in your pocket but there is no profit (i.e. over and above labor cost + equipment + overhead).

I see it as a necessary evil but if there is tree work to be done, the wood can rot as far as I am concerned. But if my guys want to make some extra money I tell them were the wood lot is located. Plus I got a couple of part-timers to keep my wood lot clean.

Me personally, I sell wood to put a little money towards a hunting trip or vacation.

The only way firewood makes sense is if you just don't, can't or whatever have the real deal going on. Don't know how long it will last but right now I have the real deal going on.

guys here are making money right now.

selling $225-250 a cord.one guy said he's never made so much money.he bought a safe to keep it in for his retirement.as much as i tried to smooth talk him,he wouldn't give up his address.

as soon as i have 8 cords for myself,i'm selling the rest.

anyone know.....................

Nothing compares to full moon tree work.

We don't have huge storage. I keep some for my outdoor (pizza) oven and nice wood for pigs roasts and whatnot, the rest goes to my list of guys with trailers who come, load themselves, and leave happy. It saves us lots of time and money - more than would be gained by trying to sell it. Maybe that will change soon, I don't know.

if i 5.5 Honda has a generator that will run a work light? i'd like to mount one on my splitter.

I;m getting $300 plus a cord here in the St. Louis area. Some people are getting more. Am I making a killing no. But I call it decent money. If I buy the wood and resell it I can deliver wood that will bring $480 more then what I paid for it. After fuel I'm looking at $400-$430 depending on driving distance. That's not to bad for a part time gig. Get rich no. making some good extra cash yes.

Scott

I am in st. louis this weekend. Can I come help you split some wood.

I just ask for 50% of the take.

With the price of fuel oil being what it is, firewood is a commodity that people around here want to hold onto. I just add around $100 for use of the splitter and we are all happy.

with the going rate of 200 per cord for green hardwood i cant help but spend a few hours a day durring the week or even spend a whole saturday at the wood lot. Im having all I can do to keep the wood lot full. Firewood is selling like crazy around here.

Back