Firewood or to the mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfanboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So as I found out today when my fatherinlaw looked at my wood shed I cut up a top half of a walnut tree. So theres still the bottom half can probably get 3 9 foot logs out of it. Is it worth trying to take this to the small saw mill down the road or just cut it into firewood. I know walnuts worth some money now and I think theres a few more around. Toke pics of the bark can anyone confirm that?20140407_173319.jpg20140407_184946.jpg20140407_185154.jpg20140407_185240.jpg20140407_185332.jpg

Im no expert but, did you scale the log, how many board feet does it have and how long is it?
It has a good crook that might deduct some points. If your lucky, they'll pay you about the same as you could get if it sold for firewood. lol :laugh:

It's a RARE bottom log here that doesn't go to the mill!

As long as it takes to grow a nice bottom log, I just can't bring myself to cut it up and burn it!

SR

If the tree standing in the pics is the same one you got the tops from then it is walnut. If you have a means to get it to the mill and have a use for the boards then mill it up. Don't forget the boards have to dry also. If not dried properly they can cup and twist and then they are not much good. Anyone around to sell it to?

If you have access to a kiln to dry them then go for it. If not you'll need a place to air dry or try to sell them.

You need to answer these questions.

How much wood is there....Board feet wise? You can find what we call diameter tables, on line.
What is the walnut market doing? What are buyers paying? Get this from a reliable source, not just "I heard". Are there county foresters around? State? Federal?
What is the quality/grade. Don't know about walnut, but out here knots and knot size matter.
Where will you sell it? Transportation costs can bite into or do away with any profit. What is the trucking cost?
Who, what will you sell it to? What is their history of making good on payments?
How will you get it out of the woods and who will do that? More costs.
What lengths does the mill/buyer want? What diameters?
How much can you do yourself?
And, local/state regulations. In our fair state, if you sell more than a log truck load of logs, a harvest plan must be approved. We also need special permits for hauling Western Red Cedar and our native maple. Both of those have a history of illegal cutting--thievery.

It's black walnut. I burn it in the stove and Its one of my favorites to cut, split and burn. Takes a good while to dry properly.

So as I found out today when my fatherinlaw looked at my wood shed I cut up a top half of a walnut tree. So theres still the bottom half can probably get 3 9 foot logs out of it. Is it worth trying to take this to the small saw mill down the road or just cut it into firewood. I know walnuts worth some money now and I think theres a few more around. Toke pics of the bark can anyone confirm that?View attachment 343467View attachment 343468View attachment 343469View attachment 343470View attachment 343471

Looks like a poison ivy/oak vine growing up that one, LOOK OUT!!!

My experience, mills won't buy walnut. They usually need to saw a whole lot of wood, to sell it in wholesale form. A log here or there would just take up space and get in the way. I have had a couple "walnut buyers" out and they want veneer logs, which are pretty rare. On the other hand, I have taken walnuts and milled them myself on my bandmill. Air dried them, put it on craigs and had great luck. $4 a board foot is what I ask, and have no trouble selling it. I also rigged up a clamp system and mill up the limbs, crotchs, crazy knots. These sell like butter at a pancake breakfast. Hobby people love getting the odds and ends for a decent price. Whatever is left over, still burns great in the stove.

20150803_174716.jpg
I worked up this oak this evening! 25' but... i tried also to see about milling. Did not have the resources nor means to do so myself. Talked with a few outfits how do mill work.. and not worth one log. So Firewood and a few cutting boards for the wife! Almost sad but inlove driving home to the smell of oak burning in the fall!!

I would burn it, I talked to a guy I know who has a portable bandmill and cuts a lot of lumber around the area, I called him once when I ran into some pretty nice straight Walnut trunks and he told me it's usually not as valuable as everybody thinks and as said before there is cost in getting it to a buyer. Plus I like burning Walnut, it seems to burn pretty nice and it's easier to work than a lot of other hardwood.

Yup. Firewood indeed. Plus its been down for over a year and towards the middle its checked pretty bad. But great stuff for January and February!

I would burn it, I talked to a guy I know who has a portable bandmill and cuts a lot of lumber around the area, I called him once when I ran into some pretty nice straight Walnut trunks and he told me it's usually not as valuable as everybody thinks and as said before there is cost in getting it to a buyer. Plus I like burning Walnut, it seems to burn pretty nice and it's easier to work than a lot of other hardwood.
Amen to that. We can't even get $.25 a bd ft for walnut these days from the saw mills. We get about $.21 for cottonwood. You can process walnut for firewood easier than cottonwood. It splits green and dries rather fast once split. That beats waiting for cottonwood or elm to drop its bark.

If ANYONE brings me any decent walnut logs, asking for $.25 per bd. ft., I would be tripping over myself trying to get the money into their hands fast enough!

SW

If ANYONE brings me any decent walnut logs, asking for $.25 per bd. ft., I would be tripping over myself trying to get the money into their hands fast enough!

SW
Five years ago I used to bring in walnut logs and received $.30 a bd ft, five bunks in 8' to 9' lengths on my flat bed, no log under 16" dia. That died, and now I don't even bother looking for walnut. The market dried up that fast in Nebraska and western Iowa. It's possible if I haul my logs over 160 miles, it might make a difference, but that's a full man day of just driving alone.

Back