Firewood processor build think tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe I can lure some hydraulic gurus in here. Would like to see a lot of discussion on every aspect of processors. I've never been around one in person and I'm dreaming of building one. I like most of what I see of the Dyna SC-14 processor. I have a Kubota D950 diesel 3 cylinder 21.5 HP 40 lb/ft torque. This seems pretty comparable to the 30 HP Kohler which is the base engine option on the SC14. Dyna is kind enough to list a few helpful specs on their machines including cylinder size of the splitter. This engine is on a Jacobsen front deck commercial mower. It has a 13 GPM single stage pump turning a hydraulic deck drive motor which I think should be adequate to run a saw. Does the Dyna have single stage pump for the splitter cylinder as well and what size would that pump be? All pumps I find info on do list required HP but not torque. Seems the torque number is a little more important when talking diesel power. Ideally I'd like to build one that can handle 18-20" oak, realizing I'm not gonna push it through an 8 way in 7 seconds but, would like to be impressed with my own machine. I've watched dozens of videos of processors and other so called machines someone put together. Some put me to sleep. I need to pick up productivity not just do things the same way differently. I have done quite a bit of research to get me started, am very mechanically inclined and a hobbyist fabricator. I've successfully built one splitter. I'm not totally new to all of this but need knowledge on processors. Would appreciate as much input as possible. Thank you in advance. I'll have more questions as we go!

Are we in the right forum???
Look at suggested threads at the bottom of the page.
Several build threads in the firewood forum.
Seems most of the firewood forum people don't get past splitters, I couldn't find much in there on processors. I'm on the mobile version, no suggested threads show for me sorry...
I'm not sure I'm ready for a processor yet, I just can't decide that one that size would be able to handle more than maybe half of the material I need to process.... I'm considering other options of improving my operations. I'm doing my own wood plus extra as a hobby side thing, not enough to justify spending thousands of dollars on at this point. I'll hop up one of my splitters this winter for more productivity, then run it another year and rethink all of this.... I think.... Hmmm...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are 4 really useful power and control systems.
Pneumatic
Hydraulic
Mechanical
Electrical.
Usually folks are good at one or three. Ours had all four. I had a ball. There are hydraulic and pneumatic logic circuits just like electrical.
The more automatic it is.....the more you have to have a lot of I/O (in/out).
Control,sensing,and a big one .....E STOP!!!!

If you are going to be at the controls.....you are using a Billion Bit computer. (Reproducible by unskilled labor)

I've seen a lot of processors that are great in one area and weak/slow in another.
Most people can make something work.
To do it simply and reliably is where the genius come in.

And there are some simple solutions out there. Really great.

And some sad Rube Goldberg setups.

I don't want a completely automated one. A lot of chance of error.
But there is some sensing that helps.

It's important to give up ownership of ideas in a group build.
I know of an Aircraft Fastener company that sold a fastener for 1/2 what it cost to build. It was some VicePresidents idea.

Got to check your egos at the door. Like at Bonneville.

Admit to what you are good at. If you're good admit it.
Also if you aren't. Lol
I've help built assembly lines that ran 24/7. And was the guy that was sent if it stopped. Do it right the first time.

Other things that enter in:
Capacity.
What you are good at.
What you can scrounge. (My favorite part )

Rant over. Anybody needs help let me know.

There are 4 really useful power and control systems.
Pneumatic
Hydraulic
Mechanical
Electrical.
Usually folks are good at one or three. Ours had all four. I had a ball. There are hydraulic and pneumatic logic circuits just like electrical.
The more automatic it is.....the more you have to have a lot of I/O (in/out).
Control,sensing,and a big one .....E STOP!!!!

If you are going to be at the controls.....you are using a Billion Bit computer. (Reproducible by unskilled labor)

I've seen a lot of processors that are great in one area and weak/slow in another.
Most people can make something work.
To do it simply and reliably is where the genius come in.

And there are some simple solutions out there. Really great.

And some sad Rube Goldberg setups.

I don't want a completely automated one. A lot of chance of error.
But there is some sensing that helps.

It's important to give up ownership of ideas in a group build.
I know of an Aircraft Fastener company that sold a fastener for 1/2 what it cost to build. It was some VicePresidents idea.

Got to check your egos at the door. Like at Bonneville.

Admit to what you are good at. If you're good admit it.
Also if you aren't. Lol
I've help built assembly lines that ran 24/7. And was the guy that was sent if it stopped. Do it right the first time.

Other things that enter in:
Capacity.
What you are good at.
What you can scrounge. (My favorite part )

Rant over. Anybody needs help let me know.
Lots of good points!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As someone that has been planning and building a processor for the last 4/5/6 years or so, I have had to do a lot of research. Having worked with hydraulics for most of my life, I was suprised at how little I actually knew. Load sensing, variable pumps, logic systems, you can pretty much build a system that you turn on and walk away from while it does all the work. Not being rich, I have had to do a lot of scrounging to find parts. I have also spent a ton of cash, but not really when you consider the materials I have scored. It all boils down to just how much production you need and what materials you have/can find to work with. I finally started putting some of my ideals together a few months ago, but had to stop for now because of a shoulder injury. I think you have already visited my thread, http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-firewood-processor-build.277982/ where I sort of go into details about my thought process on building my processor. As with about everything I start, it doesnt always finish the way I originally planned. While I just wanted something to process my 4 or 5 cord of wood per year, scrounging has provided almost enough parts to build what should be a pretty productive machine. I know I will run into snags, but hopefully, I have thought everything through enough so that mistakes are minimal. I will suggest that you plan well for what you need and stick with that plan. I have scrounged a few thing along the way I can no longer use. While scrap yard parts are cheap, buying something you dont need isnt a bargain if you dont use it. I have a 50hp iszusu engine I can no longer use on this project but it would have been more than adequate if I had stuck to my original plans. I still havent found a big enough engine to provide the hp my current processor design needs.

Back