Firewood processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I run a small firewood business on the side. I am looking at purchasing a cordking M18-20. Was wondering if anyone here has one, and if they liked it or not. Or what people thought of them in general?

What do you consider a small firewood business on the side? I sell on the side but can't justify the cost of a processor for side work.

Will need to sell about 100-150 cords a year to make the payments, so I'd say at least over that.

I have never been overly impressed by the design or build quality of CordKing/master. If you are going to make the plunge into a processer, I would take a long hard look at Multitek. The other machine I like is the Power split (timber devil) double vertical. Well built simple machine.

I have never been overly impressed by the design or build quality of CordKing/master. If you are going to make the plunge into a processer, I would take a long hard look at Multitek. The other machine I like is the Power split (timber devil) double vertical. Well built simple machine.

My friend had one, was a turd. Kept having trouble with the splitter knife back plate breaking off and the rubber conveyor belts not moving the product (would slip)

Also go with diesel, a 30ish hp lawn tractor engine will suck easily 2x the fuel.

Thanks for the opinions and advice. I should do somewhere near 100 cord this year. My problem is trying to find the time to get all that wood css while working full time. I sell out every year and have to turn people away, so if I can cut more wood I should be able to sell a lot more.

I sell out every year and have to turn people away, so if I can cut more wood I should be able to sell a lot more.
That there sounds like a slippery slope. Have you done the numbers on raising your prices instead of buying a processor? If it is hard to predict what the drop in volume would be if you raised prices by $x, it's not like any unsold product will perish between seasons, so why not just try it and see?

Sell it green. I don't sell seasoned wood other than bundles. Have many customers ordering now for wood that will be burned this coming winter or even the following.

The flat rubber belts don't work well when wet or cold. They are quiet though.

I have a Built-Rite hydraulic, belted conveyor with small inch high paddles. I bought it used, nearly new, about five years ago. It is good with a couple exceptions. It has a hand crank for raising and lowering, but there are no zerks on the upper tube-in-tube pivot points and it has seized up. I do not spray penetrating oil for not wanting to get it on the belt. Everything is welded with no way of dis-assembly without a torch. Last time I lifted the conveyor with the forklift and slings, and broke it loose that way but what a lot of screwing around for lack of a couple zerks. The other issue is seasonal. I run it in the winter, in which snow on the lower drum compresses to ice and causes tracking problems with the belt. Not a big deal, just have to start out clean. The issue comes up when it snows and blows overnight. As for belt slipping I've not had that. I run it slow and it does load up, but I'm not dropping on to it the amount a processor would put out either.

That there sounds like a slippery slope. Have you done the numbers on raising your prices instead of buying a processor? If it is hard to predict what the drop in volume would be if you raised prices by $x, it's not like any unsold product will perish between seasons, so why not just try it and see?

I have considered raising my prices, I think the problem with raising them to much is that I will lose a lot of the current customers that I have.

1st step might be to look into getting someone with a processor to come in and cut for you, we have a couple guys around here that do custom work. One guy just bought a brand new cord king and I hear he might be real reasonable pricewise because he's trying to get his name out there and get a few hours of experience under his belt. This takes some room though.
Where are you in Canada, pretty big place. Much competition around? Lots of logs available? How automated are you now? I've likely asked you before or even commented before but my memory is shot.

I have considered raising my prices, I think the problem with raising them to much is that I will lose a lot of the current customers that I have.
You will lose a few- but then you will replace them with higher paying customers... economics hard at work!!

If youre selling more than you can produce, raise your prices. When you produce more than you can sell, lower prices.When you sell exactly what you produce, you've maximized profit!! Go for that and then buy a processor when youre ready to expand

Where I am wood seems to be pretty readily available. There is some competition around but not to much. I just do everything with a splitter and saw at the moment. Just have a hard time getting all the wood cut that I need.

Latest posts

Back