Firewood Stolen!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am pissed. My wood is stored at a Christmas tree farm where I cut the wood. The owner is a guy who I have worked for part time summers cutting grass and he lets me cut all the firewood I want for free.

My wood is stored about 150 yards from his house in plain view. He or his wife is always around. Some thieves came in through the cut bean fields at night and stole a few wheelbarrow loads of green beech I just cut and split a few weeks ago.

We re going to set up some trail cams, but who knows if they'll come back. It was ballsy for them do it in the first place.

I'd rather just drill a marked log out with a 3/4" spade bit drop a quarter stick of dynamite in and cover it with saw dust and wood glue, throw it on the stack and let the thieves have at it.

:angry:

If they needed it I would have gladly have given it, but to be stolen from...

I've got a few trail cams around my property for security purposes. I always set one back in the woods a bit pointing at the first one so if someone takes the closest one I might get a pic of them.

Yeah that does suck. It's not much of a loss though.

I'd like to have another nice trail cam. Where is this wood?

......and may I suggest the Bushnell Trophy Cam XLT. :laugh:

(sorry, I know having wood stolen is no joke, but just couldn't resist.)[/QUOTE]

I'd hang it from a branch overhead facing down so the thieves would n't see it. It has to be someone we know considering the pile is in the back corner of the property

But anyway you can have it, with a complimentary 1000 grains of black powder packed into the log you stole.:angry2:

What do you mean they came in across cut bean fields? You have truck tire tracks, an ATV, footprints? someone pushed a wheelbarrow all the way in there and took it? Seems a mighty big trespass risk for 10 bucks of wood...

Seems weird, especially just some wheelbarrows worth.

You sure those folks didn't have a friend or relative over, and *they* had permission to get firewood, and they took a small load?

A thief ambitious enough to do manual labor is pretty rare...not impossible, but rare.

I and tens of thousands of other PA folks own cabins in the mountains. Used to be they were pretty exclusively hunting cabins, but now they are multi-season recreation cabins. Anyway, we always did a Fall Work Day before hunting seasons and sawed and split about a cord of wood for the winter. Last significant oil price spike, we had our firewood stolen. Not hard to do, back a truck up to the pile behind the cabin, load it up and drive away. There are weeks when no one is in any of the cabins on our mountain top, and hours in every day when no one drives by on the road. And, who would question a truck backed up to a wood pile. Anyway, we never really solved the problem, but we stopped making it easy. We quit splitting so much ahead. We keep a cord in 8' lengths there all the time, and only cut and split enough for a week at a time.

Not for nothing, but a thief has to know that everyone who owns a hunting cabin is armed, and likely accurate.

Shame we gotta worry about it at all, but times are tough they say. And im sure it was tough for the last guy I caught taking wood from me to get his drawers clean.:hmm3grin2orange:

What do you mean they came in across cut bean fields? You have truck tire tracks, an ATV, footprints? someone pushed a wheelbarrow all the way in there and took it? Seems a mighty big trespass risk for 10 bucks of wood...

Seems weird, especially just some wheelbarrows worth.

You sure those folks didn't have a friend or relative over, and *they* had permission to get firewood, and they took a small load?

Yeah there were some truck tracks but they followed the grass buffer around the field edge where we always drive, so it's not like we could follow them to a house.

I am sure it was a neighbor, which makes it so much worse. The farmer is pretty upset, he is old school and lets a lot of people hunt and walk dogs on property. As long as you ask and do not abuse it he's good.

Now he he wants to post the property and make it off limits to everyone except me and my brother.

That's good for us but sad for society that the actions of one are going to effect so many.

I honestly think a sign would work. Simply state, "Trailcams are now up, and marked wood spiked with Explosives". Even the dimmest bulbs of society would have to think twice about that, no ?

Sucks you got your wood stolen.

I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth...

Do not go the route of explosives or black powder. Some how, some way, some lawyer would figure out a way to sue the pants off of you and everyone on that farm for placing the thief in danger (or whatever other legaleze they could come up with). I know you and the others were probably half joking, but two wheel barrows of wood aren't worth the headache you'd cause yourself. [/Captain Obvious]

Trail cams are probably your best bet in trying to catch 'em.

Sucks you got your wood stolen.

I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth...

Do not go the route of explosives or black powder. Some how, some way, some lawyer would figure out a way to sue the pants off of you and everyone on that farm for placing the thief in danger (or whatever other legaleze they could come up with). I know you and the others were probably half joking, but two wheel barrows of wood aren't worth the headache you'd cause yourself. [/Captain Obvious]

Trail cams are probably your best bet in trying to catch 'em.

Yeah I know. I figured if I posted it on here then I knew I couldn't go through with it because I am just incriminating myself.

It also gives me some joy thinking of what I'd like to do if I caught them

That sucks!!!! On my last order from Baileys I picked up a Mingo firewood marker and got a really off blue color,makes cutting firewood easer plus all my wood is marked.

If you fill the wood with sulfur, you should be able to smell the rotten eggs for miles :)

Back