firewood theives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was picturing joe homeowner yelling to his wife: I'll be right back honey, gotta run across town to the warehouse and get some firewood for tonight. Or maybe a farmer growing his watermelons in a warehouse so they don't get cooned. Kind of funny stuff.

What is everyone here going to do to protect their gas tanks when the guys with the hoses decide $4 is just to much to pay? Gunpowder probably won't be a good idea there. Maybe a warehouse for the car and truck?

True, my post was not intended for a homeowner having a cord or two of firewood stored at their home being stolen. I can't imagine how anyone would drive into a homeowners yard or even neighbors to steal your firewood , but I guess anything is possible. My post was refering to dealers with a large amounts of firewood being stored and unattended. I guess anything unattended, that has any value is subject to theft. I guess the next question is, how many times do you have to be stolen from before you change you ways in better securing your own property ?? As to your gasoline issue, If a locking gas cap won't work, try keeping your car in your secured garage, if you got one. If you don't have a vehicle, then you don't have nothing to worry about your gas issue. I dont see you in coming up with any positive solutions. Before you reply, moving is not a solution either.

Last edited:
Stealing is Stealing is ....

Enough. Stealing is stealing. Whether the dreaded "homeowner" ( what's with this ?) and a cord stolen, or the firewood seller with 500 cords. It belongs to them. Period. You want to get weepy about quantity, OK.
You want to "Feel" for the thief" , NOT FINE. :chainsawguy:
It is a person's property that they have worked for. It is part of their livlihood, whether for sale or for heat, or whatever they choose.
ANYTHING that lessens the opportunity for thievery is fine. Do it.
Think about the value of a horse in the mythical Wild West. How did Msr. John Wayne handle it ? Is our wood any different ?
Do you know how many hours that "homeowner" ( enough) , or firewood producer spends getting that nice pile ?
Rant over.:biggrinbounce2:

I have gotten the feeling that because it's a tree and not a cultivated crop that there's some form a universal ownership. Not true. I would never think of asking my neighbors if it's OK to come over and syphon some of there #2 heating oil out of their tank but every year someone asks if they can have some of my firewood. No one ever asks if they can come and help me split it or stack it. They just see a huge pile of firewood and I guess they assume I don't need it all , even though it's always used up by spring.
Phil

Really guys we are speaking of kids. What I would suggest
is talking with their parents I once got my dads hatchet and
decided to build a survival raft on a creek I fished had a good
bit of saplings cut by the time owner got in from work! He asked
what I was doing and I told him he told me trees were on his
and called my father. My dad shows up gives me a good licken
and then asks guy if he has any work my boy could do to make
up for the damage! I spent three weekends cleaned up the mess,
weeded his garden,mowed his grass with a reel mower as it was
for punishment he had a mower gas powered but that would have
been too easy. When I was a kid the last thing you wanted was
dad to know you did something stupid. He would bust your a??
in k mart and did not care if people seen or not course that was
sixties. I drought he would be any different today and I am glad
he blistered my a?? as punishment is not abuse I knew I done
wrong and had to pay the fiddler.

Really guys we are speaking of kids. What I would suggest
is talking with their parents I once got my dads hatchet and
decided to build a survival raft on a creek I fished had a good
bit of saplings cut by the time owner got in from work! He asked
what I was doing and I told him he told me trees were on his
and called my father. My dad shows up gives me a good licken
and then asks guy if he has any work my boy could do to make
up for the damage! I spent three weekends cleaned up the mess,
weeded his garden,mowed his grass with a reel mower as it was
for punishment he had a mower gas powered but that would have
been too easy. When I was a kid the last thing you wanted was
dad to know you did something stupid. He would bust your a??
in k mart and did not care if people seen or not course that was
sixties. I drought he would be any different today and I am glad
he blistered my a?? as punishment is not abuse I knew I done
wrong and had to pay the fiddler.

Verry well put.
Those were the day's, wern't they?

Andy

True, my post was not intended for a homeowner having a cord or two of firewood stored at their home being stolen. I can't imagine how anyone would drive into a homeowners yard or even neighbors to steal your firewood , but I guess anything is possible. My post was referring to dealers with a large amounts of firewood being stored and unattended. I guess anything unattended, that has any value is subject to theft. I guess the next question is, how many times do you have to be stolen from before you change you ways in better securing your own property ?? As to your gasoline issue, If a locking gas cap won't work, try keeping your car in your secured garage, if you got one. If you don't have a vehicle, then you don't have nothing to worry about your gas issue. I don't see you in coming up with any positive solutions. Before you reply, moving is not a solution either.

If you live in an area prone to theft there are not many good solutions available. But I can tell you this. Use punji sticks or gunpowder or attack dogs and hurt the thief, chances are he will hire a lawyer and end up owning not only your woodpile, but your house as well. Locking up your property is probably the best option of course. A fence around the woodshed with a locking door. A warehouse for the dealer as you mentioned. It is a shame that the country is coming to this though. But if it is local kids, my solution of talking with them or ropensaddles suggestion of involving the parents might work. Although years ago I caught a kid stealing my sons bike. I called the cops and held the kid for them. All they could do was request the parents bring the kid in for a talking to. They refused. This kid had painted the bike to disguise it and it looked real bad. Nothing could be done by the law. It was a brand new bike. I had to buy my son a new one. So what do you think? Shoot the kid? Electrocute him? Beat his butt? Think anything like that would have caused him to go straight with the parents like he had? Naaaaaa. Dad was a druggie and Mom hung in the tavern all day. The kid was on his own from an early age. I was scout master at the time and I got him in my boy scout troop. He was a lot of work, but I am hoping I made a difference. If I did, he isn't the one stealing your firewood.

:deadhorse:

Very well put.

Ropensaddle

Yes those were the day's, weren’t they?

John Corns (WA4ZIO)
or
Cornbread

I steal like my watermelon with salt.

Proper discipline has never hurt anyone that I know
these days they call whipping kid abuse bullchit beating with
a ball bat ok but to me abuse is letting a child grow up with
out discipline! I can honestly say time outs grounding would
never have worked on me as well as an a?? whippin, my dad
would usually tell me to go to my bedroom and you know what
you have coming, and I would have to wait and think about what
got me there! Later as I got older I did not do the things as much
and it made me learn there are consequences of bad actions
and they hurt.

Last edited:
If you live in an area prone to theft there are not many good solutions available. But I can tell you this. Use punji sticks or gunpowder or attack dogs and hurt the thief, chances are he will hire a lawyer and end up owning not only your woodpile, but your house as well. Locking up your property is probably the best option of course. A fence around the woodshed with a locking door. A warehouse for the dealer as you mentioned. It is a shame that the country is coming to this though. But if it is local kids, my solution of talking with them or ropensaddles suggestion of involving the parents might work. Although years ago I caught a kid stealing my sons bike. I called the cops and held the kid for them. All they could do was request the parents bring the kid in for a talking to. They refused. This kid had painted the bike to disguise it and it looked real bad. Nothing could be done by the law. It was a brand new bike. I had to buy my son a new one. So what do you think? Shoot the kid? Electrocute him? Beat his butt? Think anything like that would have caused him to go straight with the parents like he had? Naaaaaa. Dad was a druggie and Mom hung in the tavern all day. The kid was on his own from an early age. I was scout master at the time and I got him in my boy scout troop. He was a lot of work, but I am hoping I made a difference. If I did, he isn't the one stealing your firewood.

:deadhorse:
Yeah, saddens me to see the kids parents
needing the discipline and sometimes there is no good remedy.

I thought I had a firewood thief as well as I notice one corner of my stack going down. Just the other day I looked out the back window and saw my golden retriever taking wood of the stack and putting it under the steps to the garage. I knew I had to keep a eye on him when he is in the garage for he likes to steal screw drivers and bury them. I wonder what he wanted to do with it!

Latest posts

Back