Firewood tip #368

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdeere

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Don’t store your Fiskars x27 outside with the handle pointing up. I went to split a block of locust and as I raised the axe over my head, a pint of ice and water ran down the back of my neck.
The hollow handle was full of rain water and it had frozen. That’s how my Saturday started.

I am so happy I returned the fiskers I bought and got the Husky splitting axe.

One thing I would have filled the hollow handle with expanding foam if I would have kept the dumb thing.
Or plug the handle with some thing.

:D Al

Don’t store your Fiskars x27 outside with the handle pointing up. I went to split a block of locust and as I raised the axe over my head, a pint of ice and water ran down the back of my neck.
The hollow handle was full of rain water and it had frozen. That’s how my Saturday started.

wakes you up better than coffee!!

I fell for that great fiskers hype too. Spent the money for one brought it home to split some big Ash rounds I needed to make smaller to lift in to the trailer.

Stupid thing would just bounce off the Ash rounds and it didn't come with lazer guidence as some ould have you believe. Just as hard to hit the same spot with it as with any other maul.

Returned it the next day, then a few weeks later I had the privlage to use a Husky splitting axe. By far a lot better than any hollow handle p iss on you fiskers.

Price has went up a good bit but it gets a 5 star review rateing.

Large-Axe.png

Are these fiskars mauls really that good? Seems like everyone on here talks about them. This is the only maul I own. Which is why I built a a splitter lol View attachment 798628
Yes . I have a 28 inch 17 and the small hatchet. My bil used it while we were in the woods he had forgotten his maul. He ordered one the next day

Never had the problem of it bouncing off ash or other woods. It didnt do great on the hickory or sycamore but my splitter had a bit of a struggle with then too

I fell for that great fiskers hype too. Spent the money for one brought it home to split some big Ash rounds I needed to make smaller to lift in to the trailer.

Stupid thing would just bounce off the Ash rounds and it didn't come with lazer guidence as some ould have you believe. Just as hard to hit the same spot with it as with any other maul.

Returned it the next day, then a few weeks later I had the privlage to use a Husky splitting axe. By far a lot better than any hollow handle p iss on you fiskers.

Price has went up a good bit but it gets a 5 star review rateing.

Large-Axe.png

I have one of them , buyers remorse on that .

Fiskars are awesome. Splitting effectiveness is a function of speed. If you swing it slow you won’t like it. If you develop the proper technique you’ll love it.

I drank the Kool-aid, x27 has a learning curve for sure. I am 6'2, 230 and have always relied on bulk to swing a heavy maul. The Fiskars needs speed, but once you get it... woo. Even got an old tire to put a round in so I did not have to chase the split. Was not expecting to split in one swing once I got it, more familiar with the 3-4 swings from a maul for one split. Is way easier on my bad shoulder also, but the hydraulic is way better.

Fiskars for the win here as well. Split many years with mine before I got the hydro. That handle full of water..... yeah been there done that. I have a few Fiskars and love them all. Shoot was thinking of finding a kitchen knife set for the wife! Shoot, I even have their garden shears. Love their products

I probably wouldn’t have bought one but was in Walmart one day and someone had returned one. It didn’t have the protective cover over the edge but someone had taped a piece of cardboard on it. It was marked Clearance $25.
It’s not the be all and end all of splitting tools but if I lost mine I would pay regular price to replace it.

Wife bought me one for Xmas after I commented how impressed I was after using a buddies. Neighbor who used to come up and use my log splitter tried it one day and bought himself one the very next day. He hasn't been up to use the log splitter since he got his. I think that speaks for itself. And yes he's still splitting he can just do it all with the fiskars now.

Latest posts

Back