firm hitch cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crotchclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good choice of cord for using as a VT hitch, split tail with Blakes, prussiks, foot lock prussik loop, etc on Tachyon rope. I've tried 10mm ArmorPrus and 9mm Sterling RIT and both are so soft they lock up and I struggle to slide them. I'm thinking of maybe using a product from rock climbing, like the New England 8mm Unity rope. Any suggestions on a good firm cord? I've heard Ocean is quite soft as well. Durability is less important than working well.

Also, what length of cord should I buy for a foot locking prussik?

I switched to 10mm Ocean Poly E2E and love it, I wouldn't call it soft. I don't use a VT but I imagine it would do well with it.

BTW, I see your using an Onyx. I've had mine for about a month now and wonder how I ever lived without it!

I tried armor prus which was too stiff. Then I tried ice which was too soft. Lastly I tried bee line and it was just right.

I'll give the HRC from New England a try as well as the 8mm Sterling RIT. The core on ArmorPrus is firm, but the sheath is so loose that it grabs too much. How is Yale Beeline firmness wise? So many options out there...

I feel like the beeline has a softer core with a former sheath. I run a 3x3 VT on arbormaster with a hitch climber and it's perfect.

ChevyBob,

What length is your cord?

Before I switched to Ocean I ran 8mm Bee-Line. There are still certain applications I prefer it.

I agree with bob about the beeline and I'll add that beeline blue seems to have a bit more memory than the original.

Also, I was looking at treestuff and noticed their Samson bailout cord. Description says its firm and doesn't flatten. Sounds like a good cord I'm just curious why u don't hear about anyone using it

Yeah the problem with so many of these cords is they flatten out so much and then grip too much. The 9mm RIT cord flattens to 6mm and the 10mm ArmorPrus to 7mm. The Samson Bail Out may worth trying based upon the description. Doesn't look like it's available as an E2E, have to make your own with knots.

Back