First attemp at square filing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I tried some square filing the other day.All I got to say is boy it is time consuming compared to round filing.I started out with a slightly used chain and got it down to about the last rivet before I got it like I wanted for the first cutter.I'll try and get a few pic's if I can.I still got to finish it but so far it looks pretty good.

I just recently switched over myself. I didn't find it overly difficult to file a little more time consuming as you mentioned. Very important to have a good place to file where you are comfortable a good vise in your shop or a good stump vise that will keep a hold of your saw. It really cuts though, I couldnt believe how much smoother and faster it was I love it!!! Have fun Wade

I took a old bar and clamped it the vise.Then used a couple of bungees to keep the chain tight while I sharpen it.I works pretty good.

I found that sharpen on the off handed side is a little more difficult today:( .This side is going to take a little longer to do.So far it is looking pretty good.I guess y'all are thinking,Man it is taking this guy a long time to sharpen this chain.It is when I only file for a 1 hr:D at a time.I got a Foley Belsaw 308 now so I save a little time on the grind back to the rivet.Just got some wheels though:(

Latest posts

Back