first bill of the year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great, but wait until they start wondering why there isn't any gas being used when they read your meter. Then you can tell them you are heating with wood! :jawdrop: My gas company still charges me $6.00 a month just to maintain an account, but still it is better than a $300.00 gas bill!

J have natural gas and it runs my furnace and water heater. During the summer i use 30 bucks worth of gas just for the water heater. I ended up having to run the furnace for about a week and a half before i got my wood heater in, and it cost me an extra fifty bucks, just for a week or so of thirty degree mornings!!! That sucks! I'm glad i got the wood heater going.

the first year i installed my boiler i phoned in my meater reading i dont rember what exactly it said but it was something like ( its extremely lower that last year) the very next day the meter reader came out to double check :popcorn: ; that costs them extra hehe; they still charge me 7 bucks just for the meter to be there

YES! times 2:clap: Great feeling.

I just got my October bill from Columbia gas and I owe them a $6 service charge and NO cubic feet used. I'm thinken about sending it to them in pennies.

YES! times 2:clap: Great feeling.

I just got my October bill from Columbia gas and I owe them a $6 service charge and NO cubic feet used. I'm thinken about sending it to them in pennies.

The knuckleheads will probably charge you $20.00 to count em all too!:censored:

My wife and I went through the same kind of nat. gas meter reading issues when we started to use our wood furnace. We'd call it in, the lady would ask if we were reading it right, we'd tell her yes and that it is so little change from the previous month because we had a wood furnace.

They still try to pull this :censored: with us going on 3 - 4 years with a wood furnace heating our house... oy, they are such :censored:. I remember one lady asking me if I was sure it was a safe method to heat my home, uhhh lady kindly :censored: you and mind your own :censored: business ;)

Sorry, just spent 2 1/2 hours driving into work because of idiots on the road... little tense :p Feel better now ;)

Tes

I remember one winter, I had already been burning for a few years, we had a bad snow storm so the power co desided to estimate my bill. Obviously they didn look back to se what my average bills were running because I had a bill that was almost trippled, what the Hell! After that little stunt, I decided to learn how to read my elec. and gas meter, and now I double check against my bills, and guess what, I ve had to call and correct them twice, their reply, well we will send someone out and if we did make a mistake we will send you a new bill.

Well I got a new bill... so its a good idea to keep an eye on your meters.

I usually use propane to start off the heating season when it's not too cold. This year I decided to heat with wood only. On the cold mornings when I knew it would warm up through the day I just lit a fire and let it burn out. I went through quite a bit of kindling but I have plenty of that.

TOTAL PROPANE HEATING BILL THIS SEASON: $00.00

WHAT IT'S WORTH TO BE SELF SUFFICIENT:
PRICELESS!!!!

Last edited:
Columbia Gas charges me $6.81 to keep us connected to the natural gas line. I turned on the furnace Tuesday for the 1st time since March. I opened my bill last night, expecting the same 6.81 but they charged me $89! They ANTICIPATE that I will use $89 in n. gas this coming month. Not very likely and they will be getting a call once I get my oldest daughter to school.

That's quite a bill from them. Sounds like a whole years worth in a single month. I can't say's I blame your for wanting to make that call.

The one thing good about the LP, what they deliver is what you pay. There are no other fees on my bill.
Had my topoff in October, and won't need another for 8months or more....other appliances use LP so we are still stuck with it. Comes out to $70/month for the year, not so bad I suppose.

Columbia Gas charges me $6.81 to keep us connected to the natural gas line. I turned on the furnace Tuesday for the 1st time since March. I opened my bill last night, expecting the same 6.81 but they charged me $89! They ANTICIPATE that I will use $89 in n. gas this coming month. Not very likely and they will be getting a call once I get my oldest daughter to school.

Hey neighbor, Knox Co. here.

Columbia only reads your meter every other month. On the months they send you a calculated bill you have the option to read your own meter and send it in by X date but you have to ask for the card etc. You can get away with paying them 6.89 if you know that you used no gas and it will be all corrected with the next bill, they are going to send the collectors out after $70 30 days past due. One thing I learned log ago, NEVER send them too much, you will never get it back except as a credit towards future usage.

With my wood stove I only use LP to run the water heater now. Don't even light the pilot light on the furnace anymore. The gas man came by the other day for the "winter fill" and I told him I was good, he was perplexed and checked the guage on the tank anyway. Still around 80%, down from about 85% when I filled in may.

My highest last winter was $23. On average they are about $14, but they nail me with a $10 "customer charge". On April 1st I am calling the gas Co and demanding they either remove that charge or I will turn off my service, in the summer months I cook a lot on the single side burner on my gas grill, and theres no way I use $10 in propane each month.

When I bought the house, it had nat gas hot water baseboard. It was nice because it kept heat even, then i got the first bill. 280$. I said the heck with that, and went on the budget plan. since then it has declined from 160/month and is now down to 50$ month. I was so far ahead, i didn't send one month, and they siad that i would have to pay in advance if I continued with that. I am now going to drop the budget plan so that they do not keep any surplus. (I do have a gas stove, and water heater) plannin on switching to an OWB sometime for my hot water but that will be after jr./lil mis arrives.

Latest posts

Back