First Catostrophic Failure Rod thru case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Seen my first catostrophic failure, scared the he77 out of me, saw totally grenaded, while I had it on the bench tuning it after reassembly. Tommorrow will take the camera and get some good photo's, I've never seen a jug split half into, the piston was in many pieces and the rod was out the bottom.
It was a MS660, a customer had rebuilt it using a Bailey's aftermarket kit, he brought it in because it made a funny noise while running, ding,ding,ding, I pulled the jug and could immediately see where the piston was hitting the jug, we tried a low compression base gasket and it still hit, he traded the saw to us, we obviously didn't give much for it, I had a couple of nice used oem jugs on the shelf to use on it. I used a oem jug, new rod bearing, new rings, ultra sonic cleaned the case, flushed it and reassembled like on any other saw. Fired right up, sounded pig rich,tached at 12,600 was in the process of taking it to 13,200 for break-in and ka-pow. Looks like the rod broke about and inch down from the top, it must have been cracked as a result of it hitting the Baileys jug. Bar oil went everywhere, total loss can't wait to get pics up,by far the worst damage I've seen. Literally split the intake side of the jug in half.

Oh wow . Im very sorry to here that :( But I have to admit..Im curious to see some pics !

Had to pull them out first to check them.lol It prolly jumped a good 6" off the bench when the rod went thru the bottom, I'll have to use it as a tool on why to let a shop rebuild your saw tool, unless of course you're a avid site member. The guy who rebuilt it had no comprehension of squish, just thought everthing was plug and play.

Back