First couple weeks of burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems like a lot. Is that typical?
I figure a half cord a week through the boiler as an average. Being I’ve burned a lot of pine and aspen this year means the consumption will be higher than if I was using strictly hardwood.

I burn less than a face cord a week so that seems unbelievable to me. That's a lot of wood moving.

Coming from a stove so it's different.

I mix wood by choice but if I went premium only, I could probably shave another cord off my usage.

Also you are in Indiana. I’m in northern Minnesota, we rarely have a daily high above freezing from December 1st through the end of February.

Actually on my stove, it doesn't really affect usage that much. It gets to a point where it just can't keep up heating wise but usage basically tapers off at a point.

How long is your burning season?

I’m in northern Minnesota, we rarely have a daily high above freezing from December 1st through the end of February.

Why would anyone do such a thing?

:)

Wife has assured me we are moving south when the time comes.

That's similar here. We've started as early as October and went until April.

Funny how the season can be as long but substantially milder.

I'd honestly rather freeze hell for 3 months and move on than deal with this half a year of in between slush/mud paradise that has become our winters. Oh well.

I should preface....it’s not efficient to run my boiler unless the temps are below 35 degrees continuously therefore my burning season is shorter than my heating season. Above that and the heat call isn’t needed so the boiler gets to the high temp which turns on one of the heat zones and cycles the water to keep the boiler temp in line which in turn makes that half of the main level of the house close to 80 degrees.

Back