First cut on freshly rebuilt 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This was a “cutters edge” rescue saw in its first life. If your not familiar with them they are very expensive. It’s a Jonsered 2171, they put an 8 pin rim on, different bar and carbide “bullet chain”, heat shield, depth gauge, K&N filter, full wrap, D Handle starter and a scrench holder. This one was straight gassed early. I put a 372xp top end in, 20” total bar and RSC chain. Not much of a test but I have some small stuff to cut on my property and the locust was first. Very smooth, I’ll have it in some real wood soon5A747451-71F8-416D-9C49-7ECECE54F54B.jpeg5EAB89E2-2D19-41DA-8737-74F58D83DF15.jpeg

Just picked up one of these myself- filled a gap in the Red saw line up, just a standard one though, not a rescue model.
Sold as a non runner- but was a simple fix (thats another story), but no rebuild required.
This one was not used much at all. I think they killed it on its second tank of fuel. I’d like to put it against my 10mm 044. That saw is low use too.

We have 3 of these at my fire department plus some others that I try to keep running. Switched to premixed fuel a while back to eliminate straight gassing. Most of the time they are just loaded up from too many equipment checks. Is there a reason these don't have throttle locks? I have to use my foot to hold the throttle open to clear them out, plus it makes them start easier even when not loaded up.

Cool find. Looks low use other than bouncing around in a rig.
Where do you guys find saws like this??
Truck was backed in my driveway, I had it setting there for the picture only. I got this saw in a pile of others that were deemed junk or scrap. My 42 special was in that pile too. I let a lot of people know that I buy or take saws. In any condition, can’t be picky take the homeowner junk with the good stuff. And I compensate, the shops I spend a lot of money at I send them a couple pizzas. Cash is king too. And sometimes you get lucky and find them at the junk yard or roadside

We had a small Halloween thing in town for the kids.
We have 3 of these at my fire department plus some others that I try to keep running. Switched to premixed fuel a while back to eliminate straight gassing. Most of the time they are just loaded up from too many equipment checks. Is there a reason these don't have throttle locks? I have to use my foot to hold the throttle open to clear them out, plus it makes them start easier even when not loaded up.
FD had a truck out for the kids to climb in and all the tool boxes open. Had some neat stuff in there. Older Stihl chop saw in excellent shape and a super clean 038 Super. Also a fan powered by a 5hp Honda. Never saw one before

We had a small Halloween thing in town for the kids.

FD had a truck out for the kids to climb in and all the tool boxes open. Had some neat stuff in there. Older Stihl chop saw in excellent shape and a super clean 038 Super. Also a fan powered by a 5hp Honda. Never saw one before
We did Halloween for the first time this year and 6 nights of Santa to cover all of the streets. K12 Stihl chop saws and a couple of standard wood cutting Stihls. Also a 4-stroke vent fan. They are good for quick jobs without running power cords.

We did Halloween for the first time this year and 6 nights of Santa to cover all of the streets. K12 Stihl chop saws and a couple of standard wood cutting Stihls. Also a 4-stroke vent fan. They are good for quick jobs without running power cords.
That’s great. The kids deserve it. Got robbed for over a year.

Back