First Day of Saw School

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hmmm. I finally had to start chanting in my head, "Time and Speed are not important." "Do not think of speed." It was day one of Crosscut Saw certification and training for doing volunteer trail clearing. My goodness, so many tricks and techniques and we've barely got started. I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow.

Let me see, we did offset bucking to make a little shelf as an extra safety precaution to keep the saw from hitting the ground. The saw is sharp, and isn't hard to operate, except I had a hard time underbucking even with the special tool. There is a lot of preparation work to do. The bark has to be chopped off, underbucking done with a pruning saw if that's where you start, sometimes poles are laid across to roll the chunk onto and then off the trail, etc.

It was a long day today. Tomorrow I'll return.

Bet ya enjoyed it tho ......

oh Ifound a vid on women in forestry ya maybe seen it but ifn not I'll send ya a link

And a trick for folks like me, who mess up guessing where the bind is sometimes. The old time buckers would stop and pull out their saw once in a while. That way, if the saw was hard to pull out, it meant the kerf was closing up.

Back