First Post New MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
First post, I have enjoyed reading many posts while trying to fix my Husky Rancher 50 - Unfortunately I could not fix that one due to a replacement cylinder/piston kit not fitting in the crankcase without trimming - I was not comfortable with trimming down the cylinder lips or the crankcase, so maybe if I can find a piston that will fit the old cylinder I can fix it. This was my Dad's saw he got in the 80's. I also used his MS030 and MS015, but those are back with my sister's family now.

Any how I did decide to purchase a new saw - a MS362, my brother n law had an MS361 that I used and I was quite impressed, when I got my MS250 stuck on a 20 inch oak. I have many big oaks and pines on my 5 acres. October snow storm forced me to have at a few that were broken on top and dangerous to my kids - my Husky Rancher 50 RIP was able to do the job until I burnt up the piston - my guess was either the fuel filter cam undone - air breach in fuel line, or maybe my mix was just too lean or I just overused it on the 24 inch red oak. Anyway I have had an MS250 for about 9 years, and was able to finish up slowly with that. All the research here made me desire a MS362 (more than I should for a saw!) I was able to get a good deal along with a cordless trimmer so I broke down and made the purchase. I only fired it up once and made a couple cuts - wow, there will be no problem with 2 foot oaks anymore..

Now for some questions to the experts -
(1) Husqvarna Rancher 50: Is there a Piston that would fit my older style 50 small cylinder 44mm. I really would like to see it run again, I guess I am sentimental about it:cry:
(2) MS362 with 20 inch 33RSC72 chain: Chains and files, I would like to get an extra 20 inch chain, I currently have 33RSC72, which seems perfect so something that is similar but from Baileys- still doing a lot of research on chains, but from my experience I don't particularly care for the anti kickback RSC3 types, but maybe I just stink at sharpening them? I also would like to get a 24 inch bar and chain for the MS362 - what do you guys think I should get?
(3) Files, Holders, Jigs - 7/32" work but 6/64" are the exact fit? What do you recommend - I use a stihl file holder now for my MS250, but should I invest in another holder or jig like Pferd or Grandberg?
(4) Break in recommendations for MS362 - I plan to start on a 28 inch pine - Is this wise? Is full throttle ok when I am actively cutting the log or should I hold off a bit on top end even when cutting - let it cool down between fuel ups?

I really hope and expect the MS362 is the last saw - at least for that size I will need for my uses and hope to pass it along to my son like my Dad passed me on his MS015/030 and Husqy 50.

Sorry for the long post!

Last edited:
Perhaps EHP 503457701 from Baileys? They allowed me to put it in the cart, but you may want to call and see if it's still available. This is the piston for the 1983, white top Rancher, 44mm I believe. Meteor doesn't show that one and I don't see a NWP from Baileys. I used a Golf in the old Rancher I rebuilt and it's running strong. Can you measure it with a caliper? 44mm=1.732 in, 46mm=1.81 in.

Let me guess, your saw is making an arc in the wood and binding about 1/2 way through? I don't have the skill to file chains, but I do OK with a grinder. You might consider getting a very cheap wheel type grinder to try it. I'd hate for you to pay $350 for an Oregon and not like grinding. I had good luck with a plastic grinder from chinese harbor until I moved up to my Oregon. There are a lot of posts on this site in regards to $100 grinders that work well. Safety chain isn't the most desired, but it will cut fine.

Perhaps EHP 503457701 from Baileys? They allowed me to put it in the cart, but you may want to call and see if it's still available. This is the piston for the 1983, white top Rancher, 44mm I believe. Meteor doesn't show that one and I don't see a NWP from Baileys. I used a Golf in the old Rancher I rebuilt and it's running strong. Can you measure it with a caliper? 44mm=1.732 in, 46mm=1.81 in.

Let me guess, your saw is making an arc in the wood and binding about 1/2 way through? I don't have the skill to file chains, but I do OK with a grinder. You might consider getting a very cheap wheel type grinder to try it. I'd hate for you to pay $350 for an Oregon and not like grinding. I had good luck with a plastic grinder from chinese harbor until I moved up to my Oregon. There are a lot of posts on this site in regards to $100 grinders that work well. Safety chain isn't the most desired, but it will cut fine.

Thanks for the help dsell, it is a 44mm piston, I was hoping to install the 46mm piston and cylinder kit but that didn't work out, this is a grey top Rancher 50 but did not have enlarged crankcase opening.. So I don't think there is a cylinder for it, my existing cylinder is scored a bit thus my new purchase - however I might try cleaning it well, and if there is a 44mm piston I will give it a try, I see this one Item # HVP 503 45 77 01 from Bailey's that might be a good fit - it's just a question of how much cylinder scoring is acceptable?? I think I also saw a 2 ring 44mm piston made in India??

As far as the files - yeah I had a bad arc problem and I then used my neighbor's fairly inexpensive wheel grinder that helped by MS250 chains - although I don't think i mastered that yet -think my depth might be off now.. I am leaning toward the pferd but think it only comes in 7/32, granberg file jig looks interesting although it looks a bit intimating..

Last edited:
The file size you're referring to is 13/64. I usually use 7/32 though as I just like the way they fit the tooth better. 7/32 gives me the hook I prefer without having to manuveur it around as much.

The Stihl ES bars are good bars. A skip tooth chain would cut better with a 25" bar. I don't think Stihl makes a 24". Another good bar thats not expensive, looks great, and is well built, is the Sugihara bars. You can find them on Ebay. Forget about the green label chains. They are terrible. Get the RM chain if you cut dirty wood and the RS chain if you cut clean wood mostly.

The 362 really wakes up after 25-30 tanks ran through it. They break-in better than any saw I've had experience with. Mod the muffler and it'll really scream.

Last edited:
Search for 270573356568 on Ebay and use the clips from your original piston. It's worth a try cleaning your cylinder and using this piston.

Hi Hermann,
Nice saw, ditch the safety chain and get the regular 3/8 Stihl or Oregon chain. A good chain makes that saw even better.

yeah, I have one safety chain and one non safety for the MS250, and I did ask and get the non safety chain for the MS362 20 inch, which Oregon chain is a good match to the 33RSC72 20 inch stihl chain?

The file size you're referring to is 13/64. I usually use 7/32 though as I just like the way they fit the tooth better. 7/32 gives me the hook I prefer without having to manuveur it around as much.

The Stihl ES bars are good bars. A skip tooth chain would cut better with a 25" bar. I don't think Stihl makes a 24". Another good bar thats not expensive, looks great, and is well built, is the Sugihara bars. You can find them on Ebay. Forget about the green label chains. They are terrible. Get the RM chain if you cut dirty wood and the RS chain if you cut clean wood mostly.

The 362 really wakes up after 25-30 tanks ran through it. They break-in better than any saw I've had experience with. Mod the muffler and it'll really scream.

Yes right 13/64, 1/64 inch difference, I am really leaning toward getting that pferd 7/32 for now..

I need to read up more on the muffler mod, I was real impressed already I can't imagine after break in and mod..

Search for 270573356568 on Ebay and use the clips from your original piston. It's worth a try cleaning your cylinder and using this piston.

ah yes the golf piston kit I have read about thanks! I will give that a try, I would like to see the rancher 50 live again.. I find the original clips easier to install as well they are better quality too?

ah yes the golf piston kit I have read about thanks! I will give that a try, I would like to see the rancher 50 live again.. I find the original clips easier to install as well they are better quality too?

Some on this site had problems with the Golf clips coming out.

yeah, I have one safety chain and one non safety for the MS250, and I did ask and get the non safety chain for the MS362 20 inch, which Oregon chain is a good match to the 33RSC72 20 inch stihl chain?

Welcome to AS :)

Try one of these chains Stihl RSLHK :msp_thumbup:

MM both those saw's as soon as you can and wakeup the world and retune your carbs after you MM them :msp_ohmy:

The compareable Oregon chain would be LGX 72/73/75. The gauge of your bar will determine which of the "70 something" numbers you will need. Though the Stihl chain is better chain IMO. Stays sharp a little longer for me.

Welcome to AS :)

Try one of these chains Stihl RSLHK :msp_thumbup:

Thanks,
I think I just might, but then you will say I should try a RSLFK..

still trying to wrap my mind around how having less cutters helps, pardon my ignorance.:msp_confused:

Can't speak on your husky.

24" (Stihl is 25") bar is, IMO, the limit of a 362. I feel the 20" is the perfect fit. Maybe a semi skip? But I have never personally tried it on that short of a bar.

Pferd for hand sharpening, pretty tough to screw it up with their all-in-one setup.

Opinions vary on break-in. I just go and cut. But I do try to avoid revving WOT w/o load when new.

72LPX and 72LGX - I prefere the LPX, as it is a tad smoother, and at least as fast. It also is a bit better for bore-cutting, as there is less disturbance from the rakers at the nose of the bar.

Can't speak on your husky.

24" (Stihl is 25") bar is, IMO, the limit of a 362. I feel the 20" is the perfect fit. Maybe a semi skip? But I have never personally tried it on that short of a bar.

Pferd for hand sharpening, pretty tough to screw it up with their all-in-one setup.

Opinions vary on break-in. I just go and cut. But I do try to avoid revving WOT w/o load when new.

Those bars are "called" 25", but actually are 24" - the dl count is the same.

Latest posts

Back