First post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggindirt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been sitting back for a month or so watching the posts. And have learned quite alot of information, and would like to thank everybody, for what I have used off this site. I hope to be able to give back, at some time. My current projects include milling siding for my home that I just bought from my father 1937 farmhouse. The siding is 1/2"x8" red pine straight off the mill, I will post pics as soon as i can figure it out Thanks again.

You forgot the important stuff. What are you milling with and what saws do you have. Also, if you want to make friends, you will need pictures. We like guys with pictures better than those without them. :)

Mark

BTW, welcome aboard. Take your shoes off. Set a spell. Y'all come back now, ya' hear?

Old Saw.. The saw I am milling with is a 395 xp hooked up on the alaskan mill with a 24" bar. The Redpine came from a lot that My company cleared, I was going to use the trees to build a cabin...Time just didn't permit that, and also had my first son, Ronnie III. My Family grew quick so I bought my fathers old house, which needed alot of work. Fiqured I would use the logs and make enough siding for the house and hopefully enough for the barn. The siding is 1/2" thick and 8" Tall, I am over laping each board about 1/2" so about 7 1/2" showing the boards are unplained and will be stained some shade of Red this spring. The Ripping chain I am using is one that a member recently showed pictures of how to make,(Thanks for all the pictures,) I have not been milling very long, but I am very happy with this chain. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Diggin, welcome! I am waiting for some cedar to dry out a little before slicing it for siding for a cabin I am building. Look forward to read about your progress.:popcorn: I will also post of mine. I'm not sure if I will get to it before the spring.

Welcome diggin, another 395XP/alaskan guy, like to see that combo. Any problems with the thinner boards cut wet drying a little warped? Also, curious how you are attaching them, and what is there now that you are you attaching them to?

Well here goes... my first post of pictures, sorry there not very good I will post more in the daylight. The wood I believe was pretty dry it has been down for about four years maybe five, (how time flys.) It hasn't been warping to bad and seems to air dry the rest of the way pretty quick being only 1/2" thick. I am nailing over asbestos. I should probably take it down but oh well. I wish my neighbors liked the roar of the 395xp as much as me...

Last edited:
I guess I'm kind of takin over this post sorry. kind of fun getting to show off!
Like I said I will show pics of the siding on the house tomorrow during the light. I threw in a picture of the deer I shot on November 15th this year, pretty cool I shot it out of my little flat bottom 12' on the Cut river, drifting with my brother paddling, also is a picture of my maple floor in my kitchen that Meghan and I refinished, in our home

Thanks for showing us what you are into right now. I also like old hardwood floors. Ours looked worse than yours even when we got this place. We also bought a fixer-upper years ago that needed a lot of work. Rewired it to code, strip/sand/plaster patch and paint for months... been there, but the rewards are great when you can raise a family in something that YOU finished yourself.

Great introduction post Digger. The pictures are a bit dark, but we get the idea. The project is extra special because of the family home.
The only negative comment is on the dead deer picture, posted without a warning. That is, unless you have enough venison jerky to send to every member here who opens that image.:laugh:

Siding looks good! Of course that got me to thinking, for those of you that have made siding , how do you sticker it to dry with the slant of siding?

as promised pictures during the day...ah light such a wonderful thing..Mike my siding is not beveled , I am just going to use thicker trim, that I will cut myself later this winter. Also it definetly takes some of the difficultness out of making the siding I think

Last edited:
diggindirt said:
as promised pictures during the day...ah light such a wonderful thing..Mike my siding is not beveled , I am just going to use thicker trim, that I will cut myself later this winter. Also it definetly takes some of the difficultness out of making the siding I think

I agree, I don't taper mine either, when ya coming over, I just milled a 24" red pine today and a 32" white pine. Man is it getting cold standing in the rain,
Mark

Back