First Project Done "AT LAST"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good scraper taken to the curved sections will clean up any saw marks. It sure beats having to sand and there's no dust!!

more pics too!

Ted

I did more with the planer in 15 minutes than I did witht the sander in 2 hours yesterday. I think I can finish up in the morning. Thanks for the help, Joe.

You're doing great. It is very rewarding to make something from lumber you have made yourself. Very good first project.

them tight. I need some kind of finish for them. I think I'd like some kind of epoxy that can fill all of the cracks and worm holes then get hard.

What about something like Fiberglass Resin. I have seen this stuff used to fill the tops of home made bars and it is self leveling. It is thin and you pour it on then it sets up real tough but super glossy. Just an Idea.

What about something like Fiberglass Resin. I have seen this stuff used to fill the tops of home made bars and it is self leveling. It is thin and you pour it on then it sets up real tough but super glossy. Just an Idea.

That's along the lines of what I was first thinking. Something that would fill in the cracks and checks and solidify, like an epoxy. Someone said the epoxies won't hold up to UV. I think on this one I'll just hand rub in some linseed oil. As I keep playing with these out door projects I'll try different stuff till I find what works best in this area. Thanks, Joe.

My out door stuff I use Marine grade spar varnish. My table has held up for three years outside all year and it just getting ready for a recoat.

As for the plastic stuff it doesn't stick to well I hear it bubbles up and cracks off.

My out door stuff I use Marine grade spar varnish. My table has held up for three years outside all year and it just getting ready for a recoat.

As for the plastic stuff it doesn't stick to well I hear it bubbles up and cracks off.

You are probably right about the cracking. I did not take the outdoor element into account with this project. Marine Spar varnish would work great though!

The smaller holes and voids can be filled with a 5 minute two part clear epoxy. You can sand it flush and It even looks cool. An can punky spots you can use super glue on it or the varnish will keep soaking in and never build up. I would recommend you put at least three to five coats. Also don't forget the feet they are gonna soak moisture if you don't coat them or raise them with something.

The smaller holes and voids can be filled with a 5 minute two part clear epoxy. You can sand it flush and It even looks cool. An can punky spots you can use super glue on it or the varnish will keep soaking in and never build up. I would recommend you put at least three to five coats. Also don't forget the feet they are gonna soak moisture if you don't coat them or raise them with something.

I totally agree with the feet part. End grain is terrible at soaking up water. YOu might want to find some good outdoor material like teak or Cedar and cut a 3/4 inch thick strip the size of the bottom and glue and screw it on. Using a wood that is more weather resistant is not only helpful to prevent rot but it is a great conversation starter.

Back